“Hotel quality for Hostel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seven Hostel

Seven Hostel
Melbourne
“Hotel quality for Hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Make sure you get thorough directions to Seven, if arriving from the train station it can be a little tricky to find.
A modern, young hostel, good quality clean rooms. A very young vibe and a fair few Contiki tour groups pass through which can be annoying but can't be helped. A beautiful rooftop terrace with amazing views of the Sorrento coast. There is not much in Sant'Agnello but if you want to get away from the tourists without getting off the beaten track too much, this is the perfect hostel.
Negatives were:
1. The cleaners tipped the room upside down and put all my belongings in the drawer and in the sink of the bathroom. My bag was also tipped upside down, leaving my clothes everywhere. This seemed to be a common theme, coming back to the room like this every day. I don't get too petty about hotels but this definitely irritated me. Cleaners should not be putting personal belongings in the sink nor rearranging the belongings of the guests, considering its a very small room and I tried to keep my bag packed so it didn't get in their way when cleaning.
2. The included breakfast was sub standard, although I am not sure if this is typical of an Italian breakfast and I was simply used to Vegemite and toast for breakfast. It was very basic and the only options were horrible sugary croissants that still make me feel sick thinking about them! Once the food was gone, that was it. Not too many options for breakfast in the Sant'Agnello area, but being in Sorrento, it was hard to get upset over these kind of things anyway, considering the beautiful surroundings.
Choose seven if you simply want a cheap, modern option to see this beautiful part of Italy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stace K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

This hostel is classy. I stayed in the female dorm in a single bed which was comfortable. The bedside lockers are huge so I could just throw my whole backpack in. The manager Chino was friendly as were all the staff. Breakfast was included but very basic. From this hostel I visited Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, Amalfi, Portofino and Capri using the Vesuviana trainline and bus and ferry from Sorrento (20 or so minute walk or 3 minutes by train after a 6 or so minute walk to the train station from the hostel).

• Stayed October 2012
Sant'Agnello, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

When I arrived It was really late and I had been traveling for 12 hours. The bartender was very rude and got angry when I asked for some water and a Limoncello. He gave it to me angrily and since then I have asked him for nothing. I bought a bottle at the super market for 4 euros...Quite enough for a few days and some healthy food, which I ate in the room and no one said a thing.

Room Tip: Don't drink or eat there as it's very princely and takes forever to get service not good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
George Town, Grand Cayman
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I'll be honest, my fiancee and I spent 3 weeks in Italy and looked up 7Hostel at the recommendation of a friend who'd stayed the previous year. We were more than half-way through our trip and were looking for someplace a bit more social than the other B&B's we'd been staying at.

The hostel is definitely modern and quite clean, the rooftop terrace is worth a night's stay alone. They do play music and create a wonderful environment to visit with new friends and enjoy a couple of drinks. We stayed in a large private room with its own sun terrace, and enjoyed the most spacious shower of the trip! The bed was quite comfortable and the food at the in-house restaurant is surprisingly good.

However, at check-in the front desk girl was fairly unhelpful in our search for food, and sent us on a bit of a trek to a restaurant that was closed. We randomly wandered around until we stumbled upon a local who helped us find a grocer so we could get something to eat. The in-house restaurant was closed that evening for a private function and we overheard numerous guests say that was a regular occurrence.

Our room was at the opposite end of the building, but as we'd requested a private room I'd say we definitely got what we wanted. What we didn't want was the shockingly loud church bells just a few feet from our door alerting the entire town apparently that it was time to eat. Bear in mind the food was not included, but now available. at 7am. I'm pretty sure 1 or 2 minutes of bell ringing would have been sufficient, not the incessant ringing we were subjected to. This was a HUGE negative for us.

We did enjoy our stay overall, but this wasn't my favorite stay of the trip.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not near the bells!! Specifically ask not to be near them!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This hostel is more like a hotel; amazing terrace on the roof and a good restaurant downstairs. The beds are really comfortable and are high so you can sit up even on the bottom bunk. I never once had to wait to use a shower or toilet. I lived all of these things.
The drawback to having all of these things is that the hostel seems too big in ways, and besides your roommates it's unlikely you will be in the same place as others.
The staff didn't tell me anything about the area or the hostel itself, they just showed me to my room. I found the roof terrace exploring, and I had no idea about their food rules.
There is no kitchen or fridge you can use, and they don't allow you to eat your own food in any of the public areas. This really became an issue for me after 4 nights, especially because of how far it is from Sorrento.
The walk to sorrento is at least 30minutes, and wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the mass amounts of traffic and exhaust, and no sidewalks in areas. At first this was ok, but by the 5th time you get very sick of it.

It was nice to get away from the small crowded hostels for a bit and stay at hostel 7, but it could have been a lot better if they adopted some of the traditional hostel practices.

• Stayed October 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were scheduled to arrive in the Sorrento area on the 18th of September, 2012 and depart on the 23rd, giving us 5 nights. After spending our time in Rome and Florence in private B&Bs, we thought we’d shake it up a little and check out a hostel. While backpacking years ago through Europe, I stayed at a few hostels. Let me tell you, this is no hostel. Aside from the backpacker feel of the place, it both looks and feels like a trendy, upscale hotel - though I agree with a fellow poster that it lacks a sense of "soul" or character.

The rooftop terrace is probably one of most spectacular views of the area you’re going to find. The guests are multinational and looking for good conversation over one, two or twenty drinks. I highly recommend the Caprese Salad at the in-house restaurant. Seriously… try it. Wow.

We stayed in a “triple” room, despite it only being the two of us (a couple). The room and bathroom were very chic, spacious and filled with modern amenities. While we’d grown accustomed to the archaic, Victorian-esque keys for our other B&B’s, the magnetic card keys for this place were a welcome change. No in room safe, but the large, double bolted locks on the doors give you some confidence.

Location – depends on what you’re looking for. To walk into downtown Sorrento from this hostel is about 15-20 minutes. It’s not a very scenic walk, and most of the little roads have adopted the “minimalist” approach to sidewalks… be warned! We found it suited us. If you’re looking for a supermarket nearby, don’t bother. It’s in the opposite direction and is itself about a 15 minute walk.

One rather large complaint are the “meal bells”. They ring a series of large bells on the roof (near where our room was!) before each and every meal time (meals are not included, they’re just announcing that service has commenced). This includes the 7am breakfast serving. They don’t just ring these large, horribly loud bells once or twice. No. There is a memorable procession of rhythms that go on for nigh on 20-30 seconds. Hello headache! If anyone decides to get drunk, block a camera and destroy these bells… you can rest assured that former and current guests everywhere will rejoice.

All of the above said – final thoughts are that it’s a very upscale hostel with a young-ish crowd, great amenities, decent location, stunning rooftop terrace and very annoying bells. Highly recommend it if you're looking to meet some new people or change it up a bit.

Room Tip: The "bells" are located on the roof (which is a multi-functional space for guests). The fu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sergio M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I'm sitting in this hostel right now listening to awful karaoke that is blaring from the lobby and its 1 in the morning. If you enjoy sleep I'd skip this hostel. Pay ten more bucks and stay somewhere closer to Sorrento. This is more like a bar than a hotel. The bass is so loud that it shakes the whole building.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sant'Agnello
Ulisse Deluxe Hostel
Il Nido Hotel Sorrento
Il Nido Hotel Sorrento
#23 of 100 in Sorrento
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,677 reviews

Been to Seven Hostel? Share your experiences!