“superb food”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
perth scotland
“superb food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was our holiday treat, our one meal when we really push the boat out, and we were not disappointed. The food and servce was excellent. My wife had local prawns cooked to perfection to start with, and I had Squid that was easilly the best I have ever tasted, a large portion beautifully presented inside a large paper cone. We shared a whole turbot baked in the oven with local vegetables for main course that was absolutley fantastic cooked to perfection. My wife had a miile fleur for desert that she said was again perfect. Just one point on the downside, the bill! This was a big surprise, a lot more than expected due to an eye watering charge for the turbot. Yes I know we should have asked beforehand, but maybe they should have told us? This took the edge of what was a wonderful evening, we will know next time to ask for the price!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank stevemee

UK
“Really enjoyable dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We have wanted to try this restaurant for some time now, I have to tell you it was well worth the wait.
The Chef/Owner is very helpful when making your choices, we had the foie gras and the 4 carpaccio of fish to start and shared, was super! Must try sticky ribs with mustard and fish soup, desserts amazing also. We will be back!!

• Visited August 2013
Baltimore
“Al di là - semplicemente fantastico Le Vie del Sale, San Remo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

After a week (Nov. 2012) in Piedmont longing for ‘truffled’ anything, I had given up. Imagine my surprise when walking along the water in San Remo I see this nice looking restaurant. Crossing the street to see the menu posted outside, I gasped – “Five Course Truffle Tasting Menu” and reasonably priced. Like an addict searching for a fix I pulled on the door, only it finds it locked. A second tug produced Chef Christian Picco.

I begged for a dinner reservation on this, my last night in San Remo. But alas, they were closed for dinner that evening, and not open for lunch. “However, I am only opening this afternoon for a special client, so please, I will let you take a seat.” Are you kidding me? The chef, sous chef and waiter served and treated me like royalty. He explained that he was from Piedmont (thus the truffles) and his wife was expecting their first child.

Of course, I had the truffle-tasting menu with the accompanying selection of Purnotto Dolcetto, Barbara and Barolo, which flowed freely. I can’t begin to explain how wonderful this meal was. The dish concepts, presentation, flavor and quality were beyond compare. I wish I could tell you about each course in detail, but it would have been awkward taking out a pad and pen as this as one of those moments to be experienced and enjoyed. A truffled soup, a pasta, and beef –not one detail or component overlooked. I can say that crème brulee will never be the same without truffles.

The room is comfortable and well appointed in a nice dark blue and white. The kitchen is partially open from the side. From where I sat, I could see all the action. Even when the special party [a party of about 8-10] arrived, the chef continued to also serve me. While his official guests negotiated and celebrated, I enjoyed a most wonderful meal.

Once before on my first visit to France back in the early ‘90’s did I stumble on such a gem. After a long flight, driving outside Paris, we were pulled over by the police. Managing to explain away our error, the constable encouraged us to “stop and stay in the next village,” which we did. Ending up Bernard Loiseau’s Michelin stared restaurant in Saulieu, without reservations, two weary travelers ended up having a most memorable a tasting menu with wines equal to the amount of airfare paid for the trip.

I can only say that in this day and age of pseudo-gourmet and here and gone restaurants, Chef Picco and Le Vie del Sale have taken a dinning experience to another level. I say that not just because of the way that I was treated, but because I could see that everything that went on from seating of guests, to preparing and serving the food, to that after meal offering of a complimentary grappa, that subtle perfection and love went into everything. This is the way it should be done.

Delighted, when leaving, the chef ran down the street to thank me. Chef Peak, it is the other way around, my generous il mio grazie.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing fine dining experience in San Remo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

A real find of a restaurant, just a short walk from the main tourist area of San Remo. The seafood was out of this world and I loved the melt in your mouth San Remo prawns! The owner and chef was friendly and helpful coming out to talk us through the menu and giving helpful tips and insights into the freh local produce and wines, of which there was a fantastic selection. By the far the best dining experience we had on our trip along the Italian riviera and cote d'azur.

• Visited September 2012