I stayed at Hotel Miramare Continental Palace for 10 nights for a business trip with 12 colleagues. This hotel is an old castle from the 1800′s, overlooking the beach, and just a short walk from the center of town. When we first checked in, my boyfriend and I were given room #110. It was a fine size for one person, however a bit of a tight squeeze for two. It certainly wasn’t anything I would rave about (apart from the view), but it didn’t displease either. The view was absolutely gorgeous – looking straight over to the ocean with the tops of palm trees perfectly blocking the view of the road in between. The only problems were that there was no air-conditioning and no internet. After paying €50 for a week of internet access (which actually means a weeks worth of login time – not just “buy now and expire in seven days regardless of how much you use me” – so right now after a week, I’ve still got over five days of usage left) I couldn’t actually access the internet from my room, and had to sit on the couch in the hallway outside my room. When in town for business, this is a slight problem, so I asked the front desk if they had another room available with a better signal. Let me tell you – this was the best thing I could have done to turn my experience at this hotel from upside down from OK to AWESOME. We were given room #310 which is about 50% larger, with air-conditioning, a larger bathroom that has the most beautiful double doors that open out to a balcony with the view shown in the picture attached. There is something so special about having a balcony in the bathroom! I have never experienced this before – being able to open the doors while in the shower so that when you close your eyes it feels as though you’re having a shower on the beach as you hear the waves crashing and the birds chirping while standing under the faucet. It’s the ultimate way to wake every morning. The Internet was still terrible, but that's just Italy. We bought a portable WIFI device from Vodafone instead.
While I haven’t stayed at any other hotel in San Remo, I easily recommend this hotel – provided that you receive a spacious room! It’s well priced, a basic continental breakfast is included, lovely hotel staff and a beautiful feeling of stepping back in time. My boyfriend stayed at the plush Royal Hotel last year, and he loved it, although it is about three times more expensive and he was really happy with Miramare this year as a cheaper alternative.
My biggest warning: one of my workmates was placed in room #207 which is like a bed squashed into a closet. I’d imagine back in the day this was the “servants bedroom” as it is less than half the size of the two above-mentioned rooms, her makeshift shower was a curtain in the corner of the bathroom, with a tiny handheld-style mirror being her sole mirror in the entire apartment (my room has a floor to ceiling mirror, as well as two other huge mirrors). Her own breath was stronger than the hairdryer and she had no air-conditioning! So I warn that your experience in this hotel is heavily dependent on the room that you receive. Don’t be afraid to make requests when booking – it will make all the difference. While my workmate understandably hated it, I’m absolutely in love with it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the beautiful beaches of the Gulf of Sanremo, in a lovely position on the seafront, Miramare the Palace Hotel is surrounded by a beautiful park with palm trees and tropical plants. Adjacent to the famous Promenade "Imperatrice", it's connected to the beaches and the new bike path through direct access. Panoramic hotel (5 stars) has a large and Gourmet "Mimosa Restaurant" and comfortable design-rooms, that will make your stay in the Riviera of Flowers, luxury, pleasant and relaxing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Miramare The Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Miramare Continental Palace Hotel
- Miramare Continental Palace San Remo