“Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay!”
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sauze d'Oulx
Hotel Edelweiss
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Sauze d'Oulx
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed in Sauze two years ago in Chalet Valentin, which is above the town, so was a little concerned about being below it this time. However, the location and hotel were truly fantastic.

The hotel was clean, spacious, fantastic customer service and good food. Our room was classed as a superior deluxe with ample space, large bathroom and balcony view looking at the mountains and ski lift. The hotel bar was nice with a pint of beer costing €4.50 with free nibbles and things like pizza squares for free. The lounge area around the bar was also nice with sofa's and a fire. The breakfast was simple and after a week of croissants, bread rolls, cheese, ham and hard boiled eggs you do crave something else, but I honestly couldn't complain. The evening meals were excellent and different every night - you were asked to choose what you wanted to night before from a list of two options. Starter, main and desert with an unlimited supply of bread rolls. The bar man also came down to the restaurant to take any soft drinks, wine and beer orders.

The lift station was just below the hotel and with good snow you could ski to it. Unfortunately, I had to walk to and from it which wasn't the easiest but absolutely no problem. A lot of people liked to stop for a drink by the lift station before walking up. The ski run down was very pleasant too.

If you wanted to venture into Sauze at night there was a walk up the hill, about 10 to 15 minutes, but thankfully the hotel owner, Bruno, happily dropped you off in his minibus after dinner for free. You had to walk back down afterwards or take a taxi, which I never did. One person needed to visit the pharmacy and Bruno took them there and back. The hotel also had nice packs ready for any injuries.

If I go back to Sauze and would definitely stay here again. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook

Reviewed February 26, 2012

In short:

Extremely friendly, considerate staff, going out of their way to help out. e.g. lifts into town
Hotel is very clean throughout

Reception/bar area is nice, good variety of drinks, reasonably priced, nice fire place, board games, good music, nice TV, great balcony for seeing sunset at the end of the day

Food was good, BUT you mustn't expect restaurant quality. Had one of the best porc chops I have ever had, perfectly cooked but on the other side, one night the chicken was pretty boring, some of us only got a drumstick. The soup was good too. The bread rolls were quite often stale which is something they need to work on, it's unnacceptable to not have fresh bread. Oh and also there was a lack of fruit, which was actually the case throughout the resort it seems.

Access to the slope is good, 50m downhill from the hotel. Because it's soo low, you are not guaranteed to get snow on it, but the walk is really not that bad (not sure if you have kids...)

Rental shop is close by, within 200m walk, they have decent kit and the staff are friendly (Sport 2000). Make sure you ak for insurance when you rent, my friend was charged 20 euros for bending a ski pole, which is a bit ridiculous!

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Loved staying at this hotel. Good room, great staff and the food was lovely. Very sociable and a great place to stay. You could ski right out of the hotel to the quiet ski lift to take you up the mountain. Being slightly outside of Sauze it had all the advantages of good views and quiet surroundings whilst a short 5 minute walk away was the lively centre. Bruno was always on hand after dinner to give us a lift up the hill.
I had a great holiday in Sauze and would definitely return to this friendly hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic stay in the Hotel Edelweiss! We upgraded our room and had a very spacious twin room with extremely clean modern bathroom and balcony. The food was of a high standard (and having read some of the reviews re breakfast I would like to add that we found the breakfast to be more than adequate.) The staff were all really lovely and accomodating, Bruno was more than happy to run guests into Sauze itself. Having spent an evening in Sauze centre we were very glad of this hotel's location as it is away from the extremely vibrant nightlife of Sauze centre.
Not quite ski-in ski out but very handily located- to the Jovencenaux chair lift, only down side was a short up hill climb at the end of the day back to the hotel (which realistically takes 5-10mins).
Would definitely stay here again is really fantastic hotel and excellent value for money!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I booked a last minute trip to Sauze D'Oulx for my family and got a great deal through Neilson so, due to the price I paid, I lowered my expectations accordingly...unnecessarily so! Edelweiss was a great little hotel which was perfectly located just up a nursery slope from the Jovenceaux lift. We paid an extra £35 each when booking to upgrade to a 'superior room' and this was definitely worth it. The rooms were a good size with a balcony with a stunning view, the bathroom was big with a great shower and loads of hot water. Rooms were turned down daily to a high standard. Walls are thin though so if you are a light sleeper or don't like hearing others using the bathroom (!) I recommend taking earplugs. There are no tea making facilities in the room but we were provided with a kettle on request and took our own teabags which saved a fortune throughout the week not buying tea from the bar.
The food is basic with the choice of 2 options for a 3 course evening meal. There is a general lack of fruit and vegetables in the food on offer. Breakfast is continental but there is a great coffee machine with unlimited drinks! For equipment hire, Gros sport is really close and the staff were great. I would definitely stay at Edelweiss again, it is great value and ideal being so close to the lift.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are better as they have newer beds, tv's, better bathrooms and more space in gene...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We were in the Edelweiss from 6th to 13 Feb 2011. I agree with all the comments about the staff: Luca was a good barman/jhost (despite his dodgy taste in loud music) and we never felt hassled out of the bar; Bruno was charming, and happily ferried us back and forth up to Sauze whenever we asked; the girls (who doubled as chambermaids and waitresses) were lovely!

BUT - we clearly had the lower end of the range of rooms; some of us had no view (unless you count a wall as a view) the rooms were TINY (no chance of any socialising, you had to go to the bar) and the beds were utterly, utterly vile. Thin, hard mattresses, thin hard pillows (you could have a second pillow if you asked, to increase your misery) all on narrow frames propped onto a kind of shelf arrangement which included the bedside "tables". One wrong move in the middle of the night, and bang! You were on the cold hard floor. Oddly, the bathroom was excellent, beautiful travertine tiles, fab shower, and new-looking suite. Being a Brit, I would have happily sacrificed the bidet and rearranged it to get a short bath in, but I suppose Italians wash their feet more often than we do.

When we arrived, the whole hotel was very hot - the public rooms, particularly the bar, stayed very warm - and our room was stifling. Turning the radiator off and leaving the window and balcony door open (well, half open - the room was not big enough to open the door fully) sorted it, but the girls were baffled by it, and kept shutting the windows and turning the heating back on. In the end, we consulted our phrase book and left them a note. No doubt they are now convinced that the English are mad.

It IS possible to ski to the lift. But it is not easy; first you have to go up onto the road, then down the drive, along a little terrace, (where you put your skis on) and then through a gap in the fence and down. Would have been SO much easier if, when they landscaped the ground around the hotel, they levelled it a little so that you could just go round the corner! The ski down to the lifts was a bit hairy for our beginners, as the snow had hardened into not-quite-ice, and the cables for the snow cannon and travelator had melted a canyon across the field. The only time we saw the travelator actually working was on the Saturday afternoon, when the local children were tobogganing on the slope. The rest of the week it was a long hard slog up the hill.

The breakfast was only just adequate. We all hated the rolls, and the croissants/pain au chocolat were rationed. The orange "juice" was ignored by nearly all of us after the first day, and the coffee was Not Good. The hard boiled eggs were always fresh and warm, though. I can see why there were so many places in Sauze offering breakfast!

The dinners were disappointing. Very ordinary and slightly 'school dinner' ish. Huge portions of pasta, for the carbo load-up, but not enough veg on the main course, and an odd menu. Almost as though they thought they were giving us "typical English food" without ever having asked an English person what that might be. I would have preferred to skip one of the first two courses and have more veg/salad, OR more authentic Italian food. There are some nice restaurants up in Sauze, and if we go back, I would definitely dine out more.

One of the factors influencing our choice of this hotel (rather than La Fontaine, which is RIGHT BY the lift) was the jacuzzi/whirlpool which, it was claimed, was part of the package. We were less than gruntled to hear that it cost 18 euros for an hour, and that you had to give 24 hours notice for them to fill it up! We didn't use it...

The village of Jouvencaux itself is very friendly. Several times we were offered lifts up to the Sauze when standing at the bus stop, and the staff in the ski shop (Gros Sport) were suberb.

All in all - if I were to go back to Sauze, lovely staff notwithstanding, I would probably choose another hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank SuzyQ108
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Myself and 3 friends stayed at this hotel for a week skiing in Jan 2011. The hotel is situated in Jouvenceaux no more than a mile from Sauze as the crow flies. We paid less than £400 7 nights half board inc fligfhts and transfers with the tour operator Nielsons. First impressions were good, we found the staff friendly and very helpfull. Our room was not huge but I have stayed in much smaller accommodation in France. The bathroom was clean although the shower would often run warm rather than hot. Room staff were excellent and cleaned / tidied our room providing fresh towels every day.
The downstairs bar is very good with some excellent value house wines available. The bar manager Luca is always on hand to assist with any questions or problems and will keep the bar open until the last guest calls it a night.
As for the location of the hotel this cannot be faulted as there is a lift only 100mtrs from the door. You can ski back down from Sauze along a steep red but during our stay this run was closed due to the lack of snow so we ended up walking back most nights (all down hill).
Now onto the food...this is my only real moan as I was very disappointed with the breakfast. This consisted of hard bread rolls, hard boiled eggs, ham, cereal, coffee from a machine and orange concentrate in a jug. This was repeated every morning, there was no hot option available not even porridge. Dinner was ok, there was plenty of food available although it would win no prizes for culinary excellence, however you would not go hungry.
The breakfast really let down this hotel which is a shame because overall I really enjoyed my stay and feel the staff including the owner Bruno were great. Bruno went beyond the call of duty and was more than happy to drive us into Sauze almost every night which was a godsend as the walk is a beast!
The skiing in Sauze is great, the lift pass was 180 Euro and allowed us to Ski Sestrierre and into France. Although during our stay the snow was not great we still had some excellent skiing and even enjoyed some fresh snow on the last 2 days. The lifts are quite slow compared to France however this is reflected in the cost of the lift pass. Apres is good in Sauze although there are plenty of large male groups and some real idiots frequenting bars like Paddy’s. For a civilised drink I would recommend Assieta Bar or Hotel Derby.
I would recommend this hotel and Sauze Doulx partly due to the price we paid however I would give the hotel 4* if they sort the breakfast out!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends