“Great value - perfect for a week's skiing”
Review of Hotel Villa Cary

Hotel Villa Cary
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Sauze d'Oulx
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I found a great cheap last minute deal with Neilsons for a solo room half-board for a week in mid-Feb. Given the price I wasn't necessarily expecting a great amount but I was actually very pleasently surprised.

I arrived on a very early flight (5:35am - I was at the airport many hours before) so was in the resort by late morning and at the hotel at 11am, very tired and was a little concerned that it would be too early to check in and be turned or made to wait. But I was greeted very kindly on reception by the nice lady who runs the place, who although surprised by my early entrance, immediately went about sorting me out with my room keys and giving me a quick tour of the hotel with various explanations about the ski/boot locker room, times for breakfast/dinner and where I was to sit for these each day and other useful information. I then was allowed to go straight to my room which was cleaned and ready for me (a great relief after having little sleep the night before).

The room was had a single bed, a reasonable amount of floor space (certainly didn't feel claustrophobic), a large wardrobe, desk, a safe (which was very handy and have been in many hotels that don't have that), tv, and a reasonable bathroom. Yes it was slightly dated but everything worked/functioned perfectly well (no problems at all with hot water for example) and was clean and that's all I want really personally out a hotel.

All the staff were friendly and nice, the breakfast was perfectly good (no full Englishes but I'm not a fan of that anyway in the morning) and dinners also good being 3 courses typically with a pasta starter, meat and two veg main (usually for starters and mains there are opportunities for 2nd helpings and this was often encouraged by the friendly staff serving it) and fruit/ice cream/other for dessert.

It was up a bit of a hill to the Clotes chair lift but it tooks less than 10 mins to do the walk (with skiis in ski boots, about 5 mins if that without) and I did it everyday (even in the snow) with minimal fuss and there is a ski bus right outside to take you there anyway.

Not much to fault here really, it satisfied amost all the criteria I could think of for a hotel to stay in for a ski trip and at such a budget price and friendly staff, I can't recommend it more.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank David N

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booked a skiing holiday with Nielsons and stayed here for a week. I needed a single room as I was the odd one out in my skiing group and managed to get it here with no single supplement at a great price. The room was a good size with its own shower/bathroom. The room decor was dated but the room was very clean and everything was fully functional. It included a hair drier, TV, digital safe, telephone, free wifi and ample storage areas. Clean towels were provided whenever needed. The hotel is also quiet at night being well away from the noisy part of town so a good night sleep is always on the cards.The owner is a lovely English lady and she and her staff could not have been more helpful. The food was typically italian ie antipasta to start with such as bolognese with a meat and two veg for the main and a choice of ice cream, fruit or some other dessert to finish with. Portions were generous and on most days seconds were offered. The hotel has a good bar at sensible prices and a relaxing lounge. The ski locker is easy to access on the ground floor so no trapsing up and down cellar rooms every day. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk ( without skis ) downhill od the nearest ski chair and for those not wishing to walk the ski bus stops almost directly outside the hotel. All in all the hotel is a no frills hotel offering good clean basic accomodation and good food at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Theres no lift so if you dont like stairs try to get on the first floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank demoneater
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed as part of a college trip with a large group.
Hotel is basic but well located, clean, tidy and has everything you require.
Free wifi was a bonus that went down well with the students.
Food was very good. Initial portions were quite small but with 3 courses (usually with a pasta starter) and seconds always available nobody will go hungry. They also cooked different meals for people who didn't fancy the menu of the day.
However the best thing about this hotel is the family who run it. Really good people.
I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stayed for a week at villa cary in late February and, let's be honest, it was a cheap deal and you cannot expect the ritz at the price we paid for our week in sauz'e.I had forgotten what a bind sauz'e can be when you arrive, as coaches are not allowed in resort due to the very tight roads.
So, from the off, we carried our luggage up the road to our hotel which was the first challenge. On arrival, we were made welcome by our english host.Sadly, our room was on the top floor which was a second challenge, after walking up the road with full ski kit.
To be honest the rooms are very basic. Our bathroom was in the corner of the roof space and was very cramped. If you are tall this is definitely a issue.The beds were a tad uncomfy and small although there was a free safe in the room which was a bonus.
The evening meals were of a good standard, but if what was on offer was not to your liking sadly the menu was the menu.
For what our party paid for our holiday it's hard to complain about the villa cary although it's fair to say, as others have, it is definitely time for a refurbishment

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DioRox
Reviewed March 16, 2012

stayed here in febuary in a group 14.On the whole it was in a good location for the lski bus and the Bars.Staff and owner were all helpfull and friendly.Breakfast was basic but the dinner was good for the price.The ski locker was more than big enough.We had a double room,the bed was more than big enough .Hot water every night.All in all,good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2012

A group of us stayed in this hotel last week for 4 nights and had a fantastic short break. We were made to feel very welcome by the owners even though we were a little bit "lively" on occasions!! We were met at the airport by the son, Davide (at an extra charge) and driven straight to the hotel. The hotel has numerous games (Connect 4, Monopoly, Scrabble etc.) in the "communal" area which is great if you want to kill a few minutes whilst waiting for dinner or if you want to have a quiet evening rather than "boozing it up" in the resort. The Hotel is in a great location for both apres ski and the slopes. Marilyn provided good advice for ski hire and lift passes and even a little discount! The evening meal was tasty, and plenty of it. The soups were lovely and the ravioli. There was always plenty of fruit, the oranges were really tasty and juicy! It's a 2* hotel, so don't expect Raymond Blanc style! Breakfast was a little disappointing, I would have been happier with toast rather than a sweet croissant and roll. It would have been nice to have the option of eggs and bacon, as some of our group did have hefty appetites and needed to be full for a days ski-ing! The rooms I saw were adequate, typically Italian, but perfectly comfortable, infact, our bed was extremely comfortable. There did seem to be a smell of drains in the bathroom, but I think this is a problem in Sauze in general? I seem to remember the last place I stayed in, in Sauze had the same problem...!? Finally, a BIG thank you to Marilyn and family and staff for a lovely stay and perhaps we'll see you next year?!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Starkey-Vickers
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Me and my husband spent a week in Hotel Cary. Location is excellent. It is in the middle of the village, 1min. walk to Carefurre Express (shop) with own private free of charge parking.
Staff is very friendly and everybody seems to smile all day. However, rooms require renovation. Furniture looks very old. Bathroom should get new tiles. Generally the whole room should be renovated (paint, furniture, TV, bathroom). It does not look modern at all, even not in typical highlander style. However, there is free of charge safe deposit and hairdryer. No tea or coffee facilities.
Food – do not expect a lot. Breakfast is really basic – continental. For skiers definitely not enough. You are getting lovely fresh coffee and tea however the only choice you have are cereals, small roll with honey or jam, and croissant. No eggs, no cheese, no ham, nothing to keep you full for skiing. Evening dinner is served to the table – no buffet. It is nice but nothing special. I was feeling like eating in the school canteen. Starter is mainly pasta or soup, second meal usually small piece of meat,etc. Dessert is a disaster. Everyday ice creams, no tiramisu, no tarts, no typical Italian desserts. I did not expect a lot but just some Italian cuisine. I know that their prices are good but you expect something more for those money.
Water – it seems that water is hot after 5pm. Try not to take shower before that time.
Village is very nice, with typical highlander atmosphere. However, in the winter you need chains to reach this place. Apre ski is brilliant, lovely places to go for a drink. Also many night clubs taking under consideration the size of the village.
Slops- Sauze d’Oulx, Sesstiere, Claviere etc. are mainly red and are not for beginners. Some blue slopes are in fact more dangerous than red. If you are looking for nice, wide and flat slopes go to France – Montgenevre. You will find it much nicer then all Sauze d’Oulx district.
Overall, nice stay but I will not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with balcony if possible, otherwise you will have dark room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple