All reviewsmemory foamopen fireclotes liftthe busevery nightski holidayboard gamesski bootscomfortable loungebar prices arebooked last minutethe main squarecontinental style breakfastup hillfamily roomsalad bargreat friendly hotel
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I booked late and got a great deal for this hotel. Having never skiied in Italy before, I wasnt sure what to expect from an Italian resort/hotel. I was very pleasantly surprised, mainly due to the price for everything associated with skiing, from lift passes/restaurant & bar prices to the hotel.

The Gran Baita is a very welcoming hotel and is located close to the resort centre, yet in a quiet location (apart from the church bells !). The staff are very helpful and friendly, our room was incredibly spacious and we also had a large balcony. The style is traditional but comfortable. We stayed on a HB basis and the food was plentiful. The only (very slight) downside was sometimes the menus were uninspiring and very much carb driven. I guess this is unsurprising given we were in the land of the pasta ! We werent there for haute cuisine so this didnt change our very good opinion of this hotel.

Would definitely recommend the Gran Baita for your trip to Sauze D`Oulx

1  Thank Murdo1971
Reviewed April 6, 2012

My husband and I booked this holiday to stay at the Gran Biata through Crystal Ski. We were dropped at the Tourist Office where we had a 5-10 minute walk to the hotel. Luckily, our bags were taken in a van to the hotel.

The hotel is close to a square with bars and shops, down a very quiet lane. The hotel owner was very welcoming when we all arrived at reception and also apologised to us for Italy beating Scotland in the Rugby that day as Scotland ended the tournament with the wooden spoon. Check in was easy and quick, and we were given a room on the second floor (218). We had booked last minute, and when we booked, all the twin/double rooms were taken, so we booked a 2-3 bedded room. In fact, this was a blessing in disguise, the room was a corner room with a balcony, and more spacious with a lovely (and recently refurbished) bathroom. Our bathroom did have a bath, with a jacuzzi, and a shower above the bath. The bathroom is also equipped with a hairdryer. Plenty of hot water available, and I would recommend the rooms with a bath to have a soak after a hard day on the slopes.

The bedroom had plenty of storage space for your clothes, a safe in the wardrobe,and the beds were comfortable, and I did manage to sleep very well. There is a flat screen television on the wall with some English speaking channels. We had read a previous review about the lack of plug sockets, we overcame this problem by using the only plug socket half way up the wall (used for the TV also), and connecting the european adaptor and then connecting this to a 4 bank small extension lead. Plenty of sockets now to charge the phones, iPad, camera etc. Skis, snowboards and boots were kept outside the hotel in a separate building structure.

The breakfast was delicious, great selections of jams, with rolls, and warm croissants on some days. There is a toaster machine to make your own toast, choice of cereals, fruit, meats and cheeses. Fruit juice on tap, and a selection of teas and coffees. Sometimes there were hard boiled eggs available. We couldn't fault the breakfast, plenty to eat to sustain your hunger to lunch time.

The dinner at night was fantastic, started off with a pre-starter buffet, with salad and appetisers. This then followed with a three course meal chosen from three options the night before. One night, the hotel held a gala dinner, with candles on the tables creating a lovely ambience. The waitresses worked very hard, nothing was too much trouble for them, they were cheerful, and always smiling. They are an asset to the hotel.

The location of the hotel is great, as I have said down a quiet lane but opposite a church and the bells do ring but I counted the dongs to find out what the time was when I rested before dinner which was handy as I didn't have to open my eyes!! At the square, we could catch the ski bus to the bottom of the Sportinia Chairlift, we always managed to get on and some days the bus was empty. As we stayed from the 18th-25th March, the resort was quieter but I could see how this could be a problem during the busier weeks. It is a 5-10 minute walk uphill to the bottom of the Clotes Chairlift, this could be tiring in ski boots, and carrying equipment, and a bit tricky walking downhill in ski boots (I did this for one day and I was glad to go back to my snowboard boots).

The runs in Sauze d'Oulx were an intermediate's paradise, which can bring your confidence on tremendously. It seems the runs in Italy are graded easier than the French runs as I managed a few Blacks!!! I wouldn't say this resort would suit beginners as there were not many runs to help them come on and with the runs they had, they could get bored easily. We decided to join the Crystal on their guiding days, and I recommend this. They split the holiday makers into different groups, Go Faster, Intermediates, and Taking It Easy. We met a fantastic group of people in our guiding group, in fact, we became known as the Glover x 10 who didn't want to be split up on guiding days 2 and 3. Not bad for a bunch of strangers who hadn't known each other. We even met up on the non-guiding days. There is easy access to go to Sansicario and Sestriere. The only way back to Sauze d'Oulx from Sansicario is on a drag lift, which I decided to ski that day than board.

We went on the ski-away day to Montgenevre and joined a morning guiding session with Jordan, and a few of our new ski buddies. We had skied/snowboarded previously in Montgenevre and it was lovely to visit the area again. Hadn't realised until it was too late as our coach was leaving soon, Montgenevre has a luge run that seems to run on a monorail. It did look so much fun, but sadly, I had wasted too much time trying to snowboard down a French Red! Maybe next time.

The resort had lovely shops to buy your souvenirs, and the old part of the town was interesting to walk around with the narrow, cobbled streets.

This has to be one of the best ski/snowboard holidays we have had, from checking in at Glasgow Airport, transfer to the resort (70 mins or so), the resort as a whole, meeting a great bunch of people (who we are still in touch with), Quiz night, and our last night at the Queens Bar!!! There were some revelations that night, I haven't laughed so much in ages. Thank you! :-)

We would love to go back to Sauze d'Oulx and would definitely stay at the Gran Baita again.

Room Tip: Choose the 2-3 bed room with a bath
5  Thank MackayFamily
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed the 2nd week of March. The resort is very friendly and the buses to the lift can get packed so you may wait a while to catch one. We paid 20 euro's to leave our equipment at the top of the lift and walked to the lift each day. Yes it is up hill but without your boots etc it is not a hugh hardship. The village itself has plenty of bars which are close together and you can have an enjoyable night without hassle in a friendly atmosphere. The hotel would benefit from a little up grade, however it is clean, friendly and accommodating. Some of the guests did complain about the food but we found it ok. With four courses each evening you certainly dont go hungary. You are given a choice the night before of three different options on each course and my son is very fussy but could always find something he could eat, I personally felt the hotel went over and above what was required at both breakfast and evening meals, well done. Jade the rep was really approachable and helpful, it was like having a friend there to help. For the first 5 days the weather was hot and this did impact on the snow conditions although we could still ski. It did improve over the last two day. Would certainly go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Arrived in blazing sunshine to a skiing holiday but still managed to ski every day!

Hotel is in a great location just off the main square area and bus stop. My room was lovely, we had requested a room with a bath which meant we got a bigger room than our travelling companions. My room was extremely spacious and had 3 beds in - the bathroom was very large and we had a jacuzzi bath (shower over bath) which was used often! After a day's skiing we sat and sunbathed every day on the balcony.

Food was good - buffet style breakfast and evening meal was a buffet salad and then waiteress service for your 2 courses and then dessert - choice of 3 for each course - I managed to eat each day and I am fussy, I don't eat cheese!

The only negative was that the church opposite the hotel chimed every 30 minutes up until 10pm each day.

Would recommend a room with a bath as very spacious compared to a room with just a shower in.

Would definitely go back to this hotel and resort had a great time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We had a fab week at the Hotel Gran Baita in Sauze d'Oulx (18 Mar to 25 Mar 2012). The food was very good and plenty of it. The staff were second to none, very cheerful and helpful. Nothing was ever a problem. Our room was not one of the big ones but big enough with lots of storage for our kit. The boot room had a heater for the boots and enough room for all the guest to store their skis and boards. The hotel is nicely tucked away from the town square where you find the pubs and cafes (2 mins walk) and also the ski bus to the lifts. The nearest lift (Clotes) is a 10 min up hill walk which can be exhausting wearing ski boots. If your fit go for it :) Our fav piste was 12 for a warm up in the morning and 29 for a blast on the home run. We even managed a few BLACKS!!!! (not as suicidal as the French black runs) the whole resort was enjoyable even though the snow conditions were not perfect. We joined the Crystal ski guide on the mountain each day and I would recommend you try it as they know the area well and give you great info. There are different groups for all abilities. This may not be a resort for 1st time beginners as there are not enough easy slopes for them to practice on. They may get bored doing the same one or two each day. The pub quiz was a good night out so you should try that and you get to meet other guests in the resort. We met lots of great people who we still keep in touch with. I would recommend this hotel and the resort of Sauze to all my friends and family for a great week away. Would love to return next year.
PROS: Food, Staff, Resort, Ski areas and Crystal Reps, Ski bus very frequent.
CONS: Drains in hotel a little "pongy" at times (leave plug in sink when not in use).
Up hill walk to first lift (Clotes).

Room Tip: Request a room with a bath (for the days when you need a little TLC).
2  Thank SkiMadWeegie