Hotel Royal
$309
$292
Astoria Park Hotel SPA Resort(Riva Del Garda)
$99
$89
Ambassador Suite Aparthotel(Riva Del Garda)(Great Value!)
$126
  • Pool
$169
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Vittoria(Riva Del Garda)(Great Value!)
$133
  • Restaurant
Hotel Luise(Riva Del Garda)
$198
$185
Grand Hotel Liberty(Riva Del Garda)(Great Value!)
$1,333
$133
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Europa Skypool & Panorama(Riva Del Garda)
$197
$190
Travelocity
  • Pool
Parc Hotel Flora(Riva Del Garda)
$243
TripAdvisor
Lido Palace(Riva Del Garda)
$572
$489
All reviewsevery room has a balconyfree wifievening mealpublic roomsfew minutes walkcoach tripreception staffplenty of choicenewmarket
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Reading through the last reviews of Hotel Royal, Riva del Garda, I can only assume that there must be two hotels going by this name! Believe me, I was not happy. It's not a 4*, more like a 2.

I booked a single room through Newmarkets holidays, and I will not be travelling with them again. I do not believe I spoke to a single person on my flight who actually got the hotel of their choice on initial booking. They all ended up in different hotels in different resorts and none of them were impressed either. Listening to some of their stories, i got away lightly!

I was allocated Room 1 on the first floor which was a teeny tiny single the size of a shoebox. This room is next to the stairwell so through the apparently wafer thin walls I heard everyone coming upstairs to bed anytime between 10 - 11pm (there's nothing else to do), and getting up around 5.30 - 6.30am in readiness for their coach trips. Consequently I had little sleep. Compounded to this was the continual humming and crunching of some far off building works commencing at 8am.

TV is on the ceiling and only ~English speakig channel is CNN news

Newmarket holidays - First thing I asked the rep was for a change of hotel, and this was asked every day but only met with "none available".

Breakfast - hard boiled eggs which were luke warm. I still do not understand why they had dark circles around the yolk ~ I leave that to your imagination. Very hard and dried up scrambled eggs muslie, corned flakes, a variety of cold meats (least said), or yoghurt. I decided that safest thing was a roll and jam.

Why was the coffee machine never switched off? When did they throw the old coffee away and clean the machine?

Bonus - tea, coffee and biscuits served 4 - 5pm prompt (if you are late you will be told) It's luke warm anyway.

Food. After the second day I began playing a game - how could the left over food be recycled? Why did I loose 4lbs in weight? Drinks are quite expensive. Beware soft drinks cost 4euros whereas a Baileys only costs 3.50euros. Best to buy a bottle of wine at 12euros and save what is left till the next day.

Water at mealtimes - the tap water is drinkable. But if you ask for tap water with your meal you will be refused. Instead you will be offered a flutted bottle of their 'water'. I asked if this caraf of water was from the tap (it was 2euros and I would imagine only held about 800mls if that) and the response was "from the machine". Being rather amused at this response i asked if this "machine" was called "a tap". This was met with an embarrased snigger and that "he only worked there". Shame, poor man.

You are NOT alowed a kettle in your room. The hair drier is one of those welded to the wall vacuum hoses and is totally ineffective.

Irons - none allowed in rooms. I phoned down to borrow an iron and would told that I would have to go to the laundry. Immediately my estimation of this hotel went up. "Ooooh, you have a laundry here in the hotel - where?". but oh no, you have to go out into the town, search out a laundry (did not see one), and use one there ~ if there is one. I have never heard of this before, especially in a so called 4* hotel. I was told it was, firstly illegal which was changed to health and safety.

Whoever said it was only 15 mins to walk into town, must have ran all the way. It took me a good 20 - 25mins at a brisk pace to reach what would be called the centre.

Having said all this, Riva itself is delightful when compared with many other villages on lake Garda.

Beware - it can be very cold with a chilling wind in late Sept. I along with many others, had to go and buy warm clothing.

Good Luck

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank rosiemc
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Just returned from this hotel, after reading other reports was rather dreading staying at this hotel, however I was pleasantly suprised..The food was good, rooms clean, and staff very friendly, I did find the rooms rather small but as there were excursions every day bar 1 all we used the room for was sleeping. I am not the type to go on holiday to spend all my time in and around the hotel, as there is too much to do and see.

The hotel is situated close to the lake and 15 min walk to the main town so really it was ideal. September is a good time to go as there are less crowds in and around the place and weather was in the low 70's throughout the whole week however the eveinings did get chilly so a light jacket is a must.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sheralynRochester
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Spent a week here as part of a Leger coach party in Sept 08 and was more than pleased with the hotel.
We were a bit doubtful at first after reading all the negative reports about the Royal but as far as we were concerned it was1st Class.
Good choice of food and the staff were very friendly.
Our room was very clean and comfortable, towels changed every day if needed.
Very close to the foreshore of lake garda which was also a plus point.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rochesterpeople
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We booked our stay through Newmarket Holidays. We arrived in the early hours of the morning after a long journey from Scotland. Our room was lovely, it was a family room although there were only two of us. There was food laid out to welcome us and a carafe of drinking water. The staff were delightful and nothing was too much trouble. The evening meals were plentiful, I am vegetarian and there were always lovely fresh salads and pastas, there was varied meat and fish dishes for the non veggies. Our room was spotless as was our shower room, towels were changed daily and soap and shampoos were replaced daily. There were mountain views and our balcony looked over mountains to the left and right and an olive groved hillside straight ahead. It took minutes to walk to the lake which was lovely. The hotel is in a quiet location away from the busy centre but still within walking distance. We could not fault the holiday from start to finish and we would go back to the Hotel Royal without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LizFifeScotland
Reviewed August 3, 2008

After reading the reviews I was a bit apprehensive about stopping there for 5 nights. However, it was a pleasent surpirse. The staff were very very friendly and helpful. Rooms were cleaned each day. They dont take credit cards which was helpful saved spending too much. Overall a fantastic hotel that made our stay in Lake Garda the more enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family