WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Bellariva Hotel

Bellariva Hotel
Ranked #38 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Perth, Australia
“Excellent location, warm and friendly service, lovely rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and I had the pleasure of staying in Riva Del Guarda for one night in August, looking for affordable accommodation with close proximity to the lake we stumbled upon Bellariva Hotel.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the lovely receptionist, Justine, her warm smile, friendly and helpful nature were much appreciated after a long day of driving from Venice. She assisted us to find a car bay and check in.

We fell in love with our room, it had a country style cottage feel to it, very homely and relaxing, it was clean and had everything we wanted including a bar fridge (which we didn't find in many hotels across Europe), air conditioning (not that we needed it, the weather was perfect) and a lovely bathroom. Our room opened up to the most magnificent and majestic view of the lake.

The hotel is located on the lake, about a 10minute lakeside walk into the main town.

Justine gave us recommendations on how we could spend our only evening, along with a map, and thanks to her we enjoyed exploring this quaint but lively, beautiful town at night. Breakfast the next day was lovely, everything we needed for another day of driving.

Our only wish is that we would have liked to stay longer!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Bellariva for 6 nights for a conference. On the whole I was generally pleased with my stay, but several drawbacks mean I will not stay there again.

I was placed in the "barracks" as one previous traveler called it: a block of apartments located just across the street from the main hotel building. The apartments are in an old and dilapidated building, but they look pretty ok on the inside (see photo). I didn't know I'd be located in the apartments rather than the hotel, and I think that's a fairly important distinction. There is a nice balcony where I had a lovely time sipping red wine in the evenings.

The Good:
- The location is superb, just a few steps from the lakeside. It's hard to get any closer than this to the beach.
- I was a single traveller staying in a 4-person apartment, so plenty of room there.
- The balcony is really nice and the view was also great -not of the lake but the hills above Riva. (see photo).
- Breakfast is also nice, in a lovely sunny breakfast room.
- The apartment was cleaned every single day.

The Bad:
- NO HOT WATER. You get hot water by turning on a boiler in the room, and then you have to wait 30-60 minutes to get a sufficient amount of hot water. I like my showers piping hot, and you can imagine my dismay when I returned home after a long day of hiking, only to discover that there was absolutely no hot water to shower with. If you have a morning run and forget to turn on the boiler? Too bad. If you're out all day and can't leave it on for that many hours? Too bad also.
- NO WIFI. Although there is supposed to be complimentary wifi covering the Bellariva Hotel, the reception was very, very weak in the apartments. My laptop was unable to connect at all and my cell could only get wifi intermittently. Since I was traveling on business, this was a big issue for me.
- No safe. The apartment didn't have a safe, so I locked my valuables in my suitcase every time I left the room. But I can live with that.

The Ugly:
- The apartment building I stayed in. Unattractive to say the least.

On the whole the apartment was fine. You can find better options for the money, though, IMHO.

Room Tip: I'd pass on the apartments.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Yay_Hanna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed in the hotel part and thankfully our room had a balcony. The views are stunning and couldn't have asked for better. If you request a lake view be prepared to pay 10 Euro a day. Although the decor is oldfashioned it is comfortable and clean. It is an ideal location for those who are interested in windsurfing, canoeing, walking and cycling and a minutes walk to the shore which was great. The food at the restaurant was divine, I highly recommend the tagliatelle pasta with salmon an pistachio. There is free WiFi which was a bonus for me as I am a regular instagramer. I was disappointed that there was no swimming pool. Overall I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

What a great location for the hotel, right near the lake and a very short walk to the beach area. The main hotel seemed lovely and my friend staying in the main building had a very nice room however we had booked an apartment for 4 adults and this is where the problem was.

The apartment turned out to be in a old building across the road and was very very in need of an upgrade. The rooms were bland, very basic and tired. There was one main double bedroom and behind a curtain from the lounge area a very squeaky old bunk bed. The bathroom was clean and functional but a massive lack of enough hot water for 4 people.

The bonus was air conditioning to the main room however not in the bed room which was not so good. It did have a large balcony but with only a view over the car park- not so good.

We ate on the restaurant which has a great lake view location and enjoyed our pizza's very much.

The parking was safe and secure.

A shame that the apartments let the hotel down so badly... my advise would be to only book the actual hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel and not the apartments
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights in July 2013. We where a family of four traveling and where given a room in something that reminded me of military barracks or a boarding school, situated across the road from the hotel. The room had a terrace, one double bed and one bunk bed made out of metal, and it was very, very squeaky. Further a small kitchen, and a bathroom with its own water-heater. It gets quickly empty, and if you forget to turn it on there is no hot water when you want to shower after your morning run :-) My guess is that the barracks are made in the 50`s, and they have not been renovated very much since. The thing that annoyed me the most is that the web page says WiFi access in all areas. There are NO internet access in the barrack and when confronted with this the staff seemed helpless and did suddenly not understand english etc. I said I did not wan to pay full price for the room, but this was not something the poor receptionist could decide upon. This is ridiculous, and a lack of respect for the customer. The breakfast and the restaurant is OK, nothing more. The staff in the restaurant seems to be bored of tourists. The location of the hotel is superb, with just a few meters walk to the waterfront, and Riva del Garda is a very beautiful place. My guess is that there is far better hotels than the Bellariva there as well.

Room Tip: If able ask for a room in the main building, not the barracks.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We used this hotel as a base for our tour of italy.it was really lovely and friendly although they dont speak fantastic english they know enough to understand you .We had breakfast included which was continental buffet a bit different to what were used to but was nice and we didnt go hungry.The hotel is situated a stones throw from the lake and the views are awsome .For those of you that like a challenge theres a small chapel up in the mountains that takes about 5 hrs to get there and back was well worth the hike especially as theres a bar half way up .The only thing that let this hotel down for us was no tea or coffee making facilities in our room .

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the lake definatly recommended
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were disappointment with our experience at this Hotel. I made a reservation based on it's excellent reviews. Unfortunately the Hotel's location does not make up for the Hotel's negatives. Our ground floor room had zero sound proofing. Our bed might as well have been in the lobby. The room had a strong and unpleasant musty smell. I opened the window for fresh air however employees were sitting outside the window smoking. The hotel description states FREE Wifi however we could not make a connection. The Hotel manager kindly tried to help us however he could not. He suggested we go in the restaurant where for a fee we would be connected. We are astonished that this hotel is graded 3 star. We decided that we would cut our losses and find another hotel . We explained our situation to Hotel Flora (on the same road) and they kindly gave us an excellent deal and we had a fantastic time staying there and we have been back to stay there since.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family