All reviews the main square upper rooms monkfish lake garda perfect location cafes and bars buffet style open the window small room without exception lovely hotel staff went out of their way pasta wellness centre mini fridge a la carte menu spent a week
Selected filters
Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

We spent a week at the Hotel Portici and it was a really nice place to be. The room was modern and clean with plenty of room. We had a dual aspect view of the lovely old square which is virtually right outside.
The staff are very helpful, including, because I had a problem with my leg, finding me a wheelchair to use on my stay. The breakfast is good and the restaurant is fantastic with many locals eating here.
As stated, the location, right in the Old Square, is basically a minutes walk to all the different cafes and bars and right at the harbour where you can hop on a ferry to some of the other beautiful little towns around the lake.
I would definitely come back here again, fantastic.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
GardaHotelsItalia, Management at Hotel Portici Romantik & Wellness, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2018

Dear JimXan, making our guests' stay as pleasant as possible is paramount for us, we're really gratified that you appreciated our hard work. We hope to see you again soon, it would be a pleasure.

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for a 4 night stay.
It is a nice looking hotel externally and internally, my room was on the East side of the building; oddly there is a floor 1, 1a, 2, 2a etc with only a few rooms on each floor. I was on floor 2.

The lifts are terrible, when checking in my first day it was fine, a lift was already on the ground floor to take me to the second floor.
After dinner later than day I took the lift again, other people got in with me and as I pressed 2 they went for 3, the lift then proceeded to the third floor and skipped mine altogether - I got off and walked down the stairs (thankfully it’s a small building so there’s few steps to descend between floors - it’s deceptive as the ceiling everywhere don’t seem low?
The next day I called the lift to go down for breakfast, but confusingly there is only a single button - on the second floor you’d expect to see an ‘up’ and a ‘down’ button, I pressed the bottom of the button thinking maybe it’s pressure sensitive, but after waiting several minutes (in which time I could hear the lift ferrying people up and down past my floor) I again took the stairs and didn’t use the lift again (even on my last day I carried my bag down the stairs)

Now to the room.
It’s a small room, but when booking it I knew what to expect, and for just me and as only to be used as a ‘base’ from which to explore its fine.
The bed was larger than I was expecting from photos online, although it is very hard.

It’s a comfortable enough room, decent furniture despite the aforementioned hard bed, but there are no draws for underwear despite a big void in the bottom of the wardrobe?! You could comfortably fit three perhaps four draws in the space but stupidly they’ve hung a second rail to hang clothes?

There is a very sturdy safe in the wardrobe with a 3-8 digit code.

In the cupboard under the desk was a mini fridge, it was mostly empty except for two cups and two bottles of complementary water.

Oddly on the wall dividing the bedroom and bathroom there is what looks like a fuse box? Not locked or anything, it brings to mind the big red master switch in the hotel room in Florence that, if pushed, could kill power to the whole room - this is just a more specialised version.
Maybe it’s just a European thing?

Trying to charge my phone there are five sockets in the room to choose from, plus a sixth in the bathroom, but of those in the bedroom only one seemed to work! I tried the others with a different adaptor (I bought two) and with other devices but still they won’t work!

The TV is what you’d expect, a good flat screen with plenty of channels but only one in English, after a little channel hopping one evening and finding nothing it remained off for the rest of my stay.
Annoyingly the blue power light on the TV illuminates the room at night with a blue glow (and with my bad eyesight I’m seeing two lights so it seems somehow brighter!)

There’s no tea or coffee in the room? They’d find it difficult to find a working plug socket for the kettle, but I like a coffee in the morning.

Also (not an issue for me but worth pointing out) there’s no instructions on the phone, and the label by the speed dial buttons are blank. How do you dial out if you needed to? Or call reception?

The biggest downside isn’t the room, or the hotel (ok there is something they could do - soundproofing), the noise from the Piazza outside is deafening! I can hear it clearly at night even with the window closed.
The live band out there does sound good, but not at 11.30pm when I’m trying to sleep on my first night here - by the local time zone I’ve been up since 3am!.
And they didn’t stop until midnight!

The air con controls are just confusing, after much fiddling the first night I managed to get a gentle breeze of cold air, but how I did it I’ve no idea, I just hoped noone resets it because I don’t know how to get it back.

There’s a fair sized bathroom - a decent shower (a proper cubicle with good water pressure) it has magnetic sliding doors that open on both sides (essentially opening the corner of the cube, at least it makes it easy to get in/out of) although when you’re in there with the door closed it’s a bit snug, trying just to raise my arms I knew that knocking the cubicle door - I think I knocked the door off its runner too, sorry.

There's also a good supply of towels and toiletries which the cleaner replaces each day (mostly - I had a shower my first day and never got my large shower towel back).

I am not into health spas so I did not partake of the treatments on offer, but looking at the booklet in my room there’s a lot to choose from if you like that sort of thing.

Now this I cannot stress enough, the hotel is in a BEAUTIFUL location, on Piazza III Novembre in the pedestrianised heart of the old town, it’s an amazing place to sit and relax with a gelato - there not much here beyond a few gift/souvenir shops, hotels and restaurants but it’s a perfect stop and truly unmissable!

Each day at breakfast I was presented with a menu for dinner that evening, a choice of four dishes for the second, third and fourth course (the first course was always a set item)
For my first dinner I chose pipette pasta with mushrooms for the second course, monkfish in foil with olives, tomatoes and thyme for the third course, and sacher cake for the fourth course.
I had hoped for dinner I could just order from the big restaurant menu printed outside, but I guess for guests they have limited space to cook so they can’t offer the full range.

That dinner wasn’t good so I decided that for the following days I would be getting dinner elsewhere - regardless it was too restricting to plan my day to make sure I’m at the hotel for dinner at 7pm when the first course begins.

Breakfast was huge, a big selection of hot drinks and fruit juices, fresh (and some not-so-fresh) fruit, loads of pastries, a few hot items and an array of cold cheese and ham. I didn’t have much, the hot food was some eggs (which I don't like) grilled tomatoes (which I also don't like) cut up hotdog pieces (a pattern is emerging) and bacon (passable)
I just had pastries and coffee, a very good coffee and delicious pastries (particularly the almond and apricot lattice - I went back for more of that. Gorgeous!)

The whole dining room looks like a cave being very long and narrow with rounded walls.

The food is in a separate room connected to the dining room by a tunnel.
The fact that you have to go down a fairly steep slope in that tunnel was unexpected, the first time down there I misjudged it and ended up almost running down to catch up with my feet (every day after I had to slow my walking so I didn’t reach the bottom at speed).
Having to then put your plates and cups on plastic trays to take up to the dining room seemed very school dinner style to me.

The staff are all very friendly and ready to help, they’re very accomodating too - on my last full day (Tuesday) I had to leave early for a full day excursion to Venice, when passing reception I explained this and asked if anywhere is open early for a coffee and pastry?
In response they very kindly opened the breakfast bar for me early, I had a nice breakfast and a good coffee before meeting my coach.

On my last day too I went downstairs early to settle the bill - city tax and drinks at the bar - the receptionist Michele took the payment then let me sit in the bar to have a coffee and he brought me a very big selection of pastries and cakes from the breakfast buffet.
Very generous as I did offer to come back after 7 once I’d finished packing (time permitting)

Michele also offered to get me something to take away to eat at the airport but I declined.

I had to then leave before he returned but passed on my thanks, when upstairs he phoned my room to ask if I needed any drinks to take for the trip to the airport. I again declined and thanked him for his help and kindness.

I can’t say the hotel is 5 star quality, but the staff have really gone above expectations and brought it up in my rating!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank ellimic2016
GardaHotelsItalia, Manager at Hotel Portici Romantik & Wellness, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2018

Dear ellimic2016, we can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such an in-depth review. You gave us some food for thought, that's for sure! We're confident that your feedback will help us improve our service, thank you again for sharing it. By the way, we're glad to know that you had such a pleasant stay and that you appreciated the helpfulness of our staff, your words made us proud! We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights as an anniversary getaway.

What a stunning location right on the river.

Walking distance to everything.

Hotel staff couldn’t have been more accommodating.

Room view was beautiful and the room
Was modern and clean.

Can not wait to visit again.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Luke, thank you so much for sharing your experience. We're glad to read that you appreciated our stunning location and how friendly the staff is, customer satisfaction is our main goal. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2018

We ended up in a room at the back of the hotel, rather than on the square as we had originally planned - this was our fault, not the hotel's problem. Although we were given the choice to move, we chose to stay in our first room - it was considerably bigger and quieter, so there is a tradeoff - if you want a view, you may get a smaller room. And, if there is a party in the square, there could be a sleeping issue. The staff could not have been more accommodating. All in all a great stay, We will return both to Riva del Garda and to the Hotel Portici.

Room tip: pick a room at the back of the hotel.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
GardaHotelsItalia, Manager at Hotel Portici Romantik & Wellness, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2018

Dear guest, We are pleased and proud to understand that you had a pleasant stay with us. Hoping to have the opportunity of welcoming you again we’re sending our most cordial greetings.

Reviewed July 4, 2018

Hotel Portici is well located being just off the main piazza and literally a minute from the lake. We had a very spacious room with the bathroom at the end of a long corridor.
The shower was the kind you hook up on the wall - not an overhead shower which I would have preferred.

The room was basic in terms of furnishing but very clean. The bed was firm but comfortable. There were plenty of hangers for our clothes and the wardrobe also had some shelving. There was a safe and a fridge with complimentary bottled water. There was also good air con.

We had a partial view of the square below and were not disturbed by any noise outside. The rooms must be well insulated because we did not hear any sound from any neighbouring rooms. There is a lift though it's rather slow.

The breakfast was very good indeed and you have the option of eating inside or out. We also had a simple pasta and salad lunch here which was very reasonable. Most of the staff speak good English and the menu (as with most of the restaurants here) is also in English.

I cannot comment on the Wellness Centre as we did not use it.

My only quibble is that the towels provided were very old and thin - think it's time they got some new ones!

Another important factor is that finding the underground parking was quite tricky. We had not been given any instructions and it was hard to find. One cannot normally take one's car into the centre. The actual parking is only about a five minute walk from the hotel but seems a long way when the weather is hot and you have luggage in tow. In the end we parked the car and registered at the hotel - which was also not that easy to find as it's hidden away off the main square. Then a member of the hotel staff kindly accompanied my husband back to our car and transported our luggage back to the hotel on a golf buggy.

Room tip: Room 306 is spacious with a long corridor leading to the bathroom - more like a suite than a basic room.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Andy, we really thank you for pointing our strenght points. We just want to underline there is the possibility to enter the square by car. Our hotel is in a pedestrian zone but it is accessible by car only on arrival and departure driving through piazza Catena (access through entry 3, boats boarding area). we hope to have the possibility to welcome you again. kind regards