“Would return anytime”

Hotel Riviera
Ranked #29 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
“Would return anytime”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

A previous reviewer has written, "AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!" - their experience was obviously very different from mine. I would return anytime - and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. On my (early) arrival at the hotel my room was not ready, so I was offered and gratefully accepted a complimentary cup of coffee. Before too long I was accompanied to my room. As a single traveller I have stayed in many hotels and been very disappointed with the rooms. Not so in this case. There was no single room supplement. Yes, the room was quite small and had a single bed, but I had paid a small supplement for a balcony and actually got a terrace. I had hoped for a lake view and as my room was at the front of the hotel thought this would be the case. Initially I was disappointed that the lake view was obscured by a rather large palm tree, but I had wonderful mountain views. Before long I was glad of that tree - it provided shade during the hot and wonderfully sunny days. As for the food, I was more than satisfied. Breakfast had a wide choice, including scrambled eggs, dellcious bacon and a choice of cereals, breads, meats and cheeses. For dinner there was normally a choice of three starters, main courses and desserts, with two gala dinners offering additonal courses. Not once in the week was there a repition of dishes (except for dessert where two the choice always included fruit saled and mixed ice cream). I didn't mind having to make a choice at breakfast time, especially as this helps to keep costs down and reduces waste. The waiting staff were efficient and friendly. I would have to say, though, that drinks were quite pricey. Expect a bottle of Pinot Grigio to set you back 15 euros. The hotel was exceptionally clean throughout. I have to agree that German guests seemed to be treated in a different way to English speaking guests - but I would put this down to the problems of language. Perhaps the owners might work on their welcoming skills - but they work hard and were ever present. I had a problem with my room on the last night. The owner managed the situation very well and was very reassuring towards me, aware that I felt I had been part of the cause! The hotel is on the edge of the town, near to Torbole, but there is a beautiful twenty minute walk into town along the lakefront. Would I go there again? Anytime. Should you go there? Give it serious consideration.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank James T
DirezioneRiviera, Proprietario at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Dear guest,

we thank you very much for your review on our hotel and hope to see you again soon,

best regards

Cristina & Maurizio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed September 19, 2011

From the moment we walked through the door we felt very unwelcome. There was no help with the luggage and absolutely no pleasantaries at the hotel reception desk. The hotel is owned by a German couple and in our opinion they have no time for British tourists but are full of conversation and helpful tips for their German guests. It left you feeling quite unwelcome and uncomfortable. Never once in our 10 day stay did they chat with us and we had to go out of our way to say hello to even get a smile from them. We frequently holiday in Italy and I have never stayed in a hotel like it. On the plus side the food is lovely as are the waiting and cleaning staff and the hotel was very clean but the unfriendliness from the owners isn't really on when folk have paid a lot of money for their holiday. We weren't given any information on what facilities the hotel offered and if we asked for any assistance eg where the pool was located (across a main road from the hotel) or for any refreshments (which obviously you were paying for) it was normally met with a sigh or reluctance. Actually think it is a disgrace that Thomsons offers this hotel to Brits!
Riva itself is a wonderful holiday destination and I would go back in a flash but would absolutely never, ever stay in this hotel again and would tell all British holidaymakers to AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bunskibear
DirezioneRiviera, Proprietario at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Dear guest,

We are sorry you had a bad impression on us and on our hotel and we’d like to answer your review just with few words:

1. my husband and I, owners of hotel, are not German, as you write. We talk to all our guests (not only German) who like to chat with us or ask questions or informations, without making difference about their nationality. We are working with Thomson since 1990 and we have always received good feedback on the satisfaction of the guests: this year is 92 out of 100. We have many, many guests, British as well, returning year after year……, maybe it is not so unpleasant to stay at Hotel Riviera.

2. we don’t mind we have welcomed you unfriendly; as we do with all our British guests we went with you into your room helping you with your luggage.

3. and last, but not least, it is really unkind of you that you haven’t signed your own name but you have hidden yourself behind a nickname.

Best regards

Cristina & Maurizio
Reviewed August 27, 2011

thus is my second visit to this hotel. Enjoyed this hotel as it is small and friendly, family run.
Always someone on hand for whatever you need. Restaurant staff excellent.
Other people have commented on the meals but there was a four course meal every night,always a choice. I am vegan and the restaurant staff could not have been more helpful with choices. Both my mum and aunt were with us and they were impressed with the staff.
If you are looking for luxury this is not the hotel but it enjoyed its small informal atmosphere, value for money. The swimming pool area also very quiet and drinks available for around the pool

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2011

The hotel was spotless and our room was comfortable. We loved the pool across the road which was quiet and very clean. There was always a member of staff there to give us drinks from the small bar.

The hotel was just our base and we spent very little time there, no entertainment and its on a busy road The staff were friendly and we are Brittish so had no problems like the other reviewer did.

If you are a "foodie" then I would not recommend half board. The evening meals were rather poor so we ate out every night. I felt having to choose what you want for tea in the morning a little like being in a nursing home.

Our room was at the back and at half 7 every morning the bins were emptied by a rather noisy lorry. However we dud get used to it and Prefer early mornings anyway!

The location was perfect for us,

• Stayed July 2011
Newcastle
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a week on half board basis and had to eat out most nights as the food menus were very disappointing and the 2 nights we stayed in we were disappointed with the meals!

The hotel also seemed to be experiencing problems with the electricity as it kept cutting out quite a bit all the manger could say to us was that the batteries kept running out!

I have stayed in riva 4 times now I would not go back to this hotel ever again u get what u pay for i suppose

• Stayed July 2011
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Had a wonderful week here (just returned). Spotless, lovely food and nice rooms. It was lovely to be served with your evening meal rather than a buffet. The pool across the road was set in its own garden and was beautiful. It was only two minutes to the lake and 20 mins walk into town. Staff were lovely and helpful our stay was very relaxing. Would recommend it to anyone certainly more than 3 star.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gaynorheath
West Midlands
Reviewed July 5, 2011

My new husband & i booked the hotel riveria as a base for our wedding & honey moon. The whole two weeks exceeded all our expectations along with the nine guests that joined us the first week. The hotel was spotless and extemely comfy. All the staff were more than helpful and always cheerful. The food was excellent with a good choice on the menu each evening, we never left hungry once.

The hotel was in an excellent spot and you can easily walk in Tarbole or Riva town. Both directions are a beautiful walk along the lake. The pool area was very clean and pretty with plenty of sunloungers and seats. I would recommend for any to stop at the hotel and hopefully my husband and myself will return on one of our anniverseries

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family