“Does Not Deserve Even One Star”
Review of Hotel La Perla

Hotel La Perla
Ranked #57 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I cannot believe that some people can give this hotel 4 or 5 stars! Did they stay at the same place as I did? The service and food are appalling. The rooms are dismal. We were told that there was satellite TV but there was only Italian. (One day it poured with rain and we were unable to leave the hotel so we would have liked some diversion). The swimming pool was not heated as advertised and was not maintained (I took photos of the debris). I was not made to feel welcome at all.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are on the main road

Reviewed September 18, 2012

On the positive side this hotel looks good and is clean. The negatives however outweigh the positives. Upon arrival we were told we had to move to another hotel. Then were told it was ok we could stay there. The room we had was tiny, the furniture cheap, the bathroom small and cramped, the curtain torn and the ouside shutter jammed at head height. The pillows were rock hard and had to wait 2 days until a second one arrived. the waiter on the first night spilled a pint of beer over my partner, no compensation was offered and we had to ask that the clothes be cleaned. The food was the worst I've ever had in a hotel. On our final night there the fish was so bad that those of us on my table who had it could not eat it and it was sent back, we were offered cheese instead which we refused. he vegetables were boiled potatoes with another type of veg. mixed in every night. Disgusting

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel!
1  Thank DurhamVictoria1000
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have just endured a miserable five days in this hotel. They only show the new rooms in their photos, mine was not just shabby but was dilapitated. Cheap very old plywood furniture that had lost it varnish, wardrobe door had no handle just a hole to put your finger in to open the door, bed was grey metal camp bed with folding legs, shower room was dingey chipped and cracked floor tiles that had been filled with cheap filler which was dirty. The food was absolutely disgusting! Reconsituted meat tinned peas and carrots raw veg all served cold. We had to wait for over an hour to be served our dinner, I had to eat out at lunch time because I just couldn't stomach the foul slop that was being served up on a daily basis.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Hotel La Perla!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jane S
Reviewed September 16, 2012

the staff were hard working and nice but shortstaffed so the service in dining room was slow. the food was poor tinned vegtables.
swimming pool freezing not heated as stated. but the area is beautiful

Room Tip: the front is very noisy all night
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We've been to the Hotel La Perla in August 2012 for one night - it was the last night on an organised trip crossing the alps with a mountainbike. We did stay in the rear building, which had the advantage of being quiter.
good: the location close to the lake (but with the downside that the front building lies at the main street, which is very noisy)
bad: the rooms haven't seen any refurbishment for quite a while. But I couldn't believe, how small and old the bathroom was - the shower courtain divided the bathroom and you could take a shower only almost sitting on the toilet (the pictures on this website are true!). The storage room for the mountainbikes was a big laugh.
OK: Bed was OK, also breakfast (knowing that in Italy usually the breakfast is rather basic)
However, knowing that this hotel is not cheap, this is not a good deal and I would rather not recommend it for a longer stay. I have no idea where the five-star ratings are coming from, but it was no surprise for me, that this hotel is ranked #61 of 62 hotels ins Riva (at the time of writing). For me it seems as if they do a lot of business with big groups and package tours.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If there was a minus for staff and service I would use it. From arrival the staff were unfriendly, unhelpful and and times rude which I complained about without apology. In my opinion the rooms were definately nowhere near 3* standard and the floors not properly cleaned as I found out when I spilled something on the floor and cleaned it up myself. As there was no AC and the ceiling fans did not work properly I asked for ice to keep my water cool for during the night due to the heat only to be refused more than one small plastic glass. Everything semed to be too much bother and not a smile in sight.
I chose to eat all my lunches & dinners at nearby Restaurant Velvet where the staff made up for my disappointment. Also, at breakfast most times plates teacups and milk containers were not available.
There are several other negative events but I will just say that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 186470Maryc
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just back from Riva Del Garda, having spent 7 nights at La Perla on a Bed and Breakfast basis. I have to say that I have no complaints whatsoever with the hotel. After reading all the awful reviews, I was dreading it. The hotel is in a good location near the beach and the standard of food was good, all week. You could eat as much as you wanted for breakfast. Yes, it is repetitive but having stayed in 3-star accommodation elsewhere in Garda, that is what you can expect.
The staff were friendly, pool cleaned every morning, the rooms were a bit jaded but kept scrupulously clean. No air-con but the ceiling fan kept the room comfortable. Bathroom cramped but always plenty of hot water and clean towels.
I would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple