“Shockingly Italian Hotel in Italy”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Giardino Verdi
Ranked #46 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Shockingly Italian Hotel in Italy”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Just got back from a pleasant week at the Giardino Verdi. It is an Italian hotel. Please bear this in mind. It is NOT an international hotel. It is Italian. There are Italian people speaking Italian and the food, drinks and customs are Italian.
If you are a traveller who wants everything to be globalized/homogenous then you will not like this hotel. If you are a traveller who travels to have different experiences and to sample different cultures than this is the place for you.
It is superbly placed right by the centre of the town and about 100m from the lake. Italian life goes on all round you as you are in the centre of an Italian town. Some will love that, others will complain about the noise, but I will say we did not find it noisy.
Cheeky sparrows beg for crumbs at breakfast. Some will love that. Some will have hysterics about bird-flu or something. The food is excellent and we loved the element of surprise. The staff do not have much English (well, I don't have a lot of Italian) and I did get trout when I thought I was getting steak. Travellers will laugh. Others will be pleased to moan. The house red is good and at 10 euros a litre a bargain.
Our room was in the more recent part of the hotel and was very good. I had a peek at some of the older rooms and they looked fine too, but being an old hotel in the centre of town I suppose it is possible they have had to graft on bathrooms and they may as a result be cramped, but I don't know for sure. I am just trying to explain some of the moans on here.
The food was excellent, if you like Italian food. If you don't like Italian food, how about trying not going to Italy?
Riva itself is a nice destination. Quite select compared with the more downmarket touristy places further south on the lake and definitely with a lot to offer the sporty. Despite being pensioners, that is us, and we hired racing bikes and headed for the mountains. Take your own pedals and shoes, if you fancy that. High-quality yachting happens in the town. There is climbing and walking. We hired a car and visited the Giro d'Italia which was in the area. There is some parking at the hotel.
We loved this hotel and would gladly return to it. I recognise it will not be everyone's cup of espresso, which is why only 4 blobs, but if you want a charming Italian experience then go for it. Isn't that the point of going to Italy.....?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chris B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ufford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We were recomended this hotel by a fellow club member when we went to Riva for a eurocup regatta, great choice, less than 5 minutes from the club, cost for 7 nights bed and breakfast in june was less than 500 euros.(single room) Owners and staff friendly rooms are basic but the aircon worked and bed was comfortable. Breakfast is great and filled us up till we had finished racing late afternoon (fried eggs and ham is good).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Suffolksailor
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Found this hotel by accident as have stayed in Riva numerous times. The usual hotels we have been using were not available and found this wonderful hotel. Very important that I had a secure area to keep my van and their secure and gated garage was ideal. Husband and wife team were so friendly. Only stayed the one night and wish I could have stayed longer. Breakfast more than sufficient topped off with a lovely freshly cooked omelette. Would defintely stay again.

Room Tip: Could ask for a room overlooking the piazza - i didn't worry as was only there 1 night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve B
ValinhosSP
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This is the second time I stay at Giardino Verdi, for a traditional scientific conference that has been held in Riva del Garda for many years. I spent five days there, on a single room with full board included (breakfast, lunch and dinner). This is a fair price for what you get: certainly not a deal, but not expensive for Riva standards. The room itself was Spartan and, as in most Italian hotels, small: a comfortable bed, a table, a small bathroom and a small wardrobe; but it was spotlessly clean. At least during my stay, in the last week of May (low season, therefore) the neighborhood was reasonably quiet at night – however, since most of the rooms are small and seem to have wood floorboards, it was possible to hear people walking and chatting, as well as watching TV through the night.
They offer free Wi-Fi through all hotel, but there is a small problem here: their system demands guests to collect a voucher with a password and username worth for 3 h connection anytime they want to use it. When the time is gone, you´ll need to ask for other username/password. It seems that they used to charge for net access and, due to competition from other hotels, have it freely accessible now but did not upgrade their hardware. This is a bit of an annoyance – if you do not log out from your “account”, your time is gone and you have to ask a new one for the person on the reception – which is almost always the owner or his wife (it´s a family-run enterprise). Due to this, it seems that there are other outdated aspects on hotel management – for example, instead of having my credit card number as guaranty for payment, they hold my passport during all stay (Brazilian passport – I wonder if they would do the same for a guy with German, Japanese or American passport, but one get used to this type of mistreatment after some time).
There are some big pros on Giardino Verdi, IMHO: the food and the location. The hotel is on a small, cozy and quiet square one block from the lakeshore. It is a nice, relaxing place and have breakfast on the tables outside the restaurant, listening the birds in the morning is a delightful experience. The breakfast is one of the best I´ve had in European hotels: espresso, macchiato and cappuccino from a coffee machine; a good assortment of cheese, spreads, fruits and breads; eggs prepared on demand; juices… All food I proved was always fresh; and the variety of choices, if not huge, is much better than which I´d expect from a 3 stars hotel. Lunch and dinner was also quite good: everyday a choice of 2-3 options of primo and secondo piano, as well as breakfast, was available. The dishes were always extremely well done – the gnocchi alla piemontese and the risottos were among the best I´ve tried in all my trips to Italy. The service was very good - waiters were always polite and fast. The room fee with breakfast only was € 64, and the full board fee € 85 – therefore, € 10,50 for a complete, two-course meal. Considering the quality of the service and food, this is an extremely good deal.
All considered, and apart some small problems – internal noise from rooms, outdated internet, etc – Giardino Verdi is a good pick and I´d stay there again for sure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I could write out all the details as to why I have given such a poor rating, however I will spare you the details and just tell you to completely avoid this hotel. The manager and his wife were completely rude to me and my family. We stayed at this hotel over a weekend and we ended our trip short because we didn't want to stay for our final 3rd night.

Also, the room had a balcony and facing the street. This resulted in a LOT of noise all night long from students from the hostel that is located next door! Did not know that before I booked this.

The town was a bit mixed as well. Be aware of restaurants charging you for something they call a "cover charge". We got hit with that and they charged us 3 times (me, my wife, and my 2 yr old daughter) for 1 Euro per person. When I asked what the cover charge is for, they said "the view, the table cloth, the things on the table, etc... what, you don't like the view?!" This really is cheap and the charge is not stated anywhere in a clear manner where you would see it easily. Nevertheless, to charge for things that are part of a standard restaurant is insane. Secondly, to charge my 2 yr old for the "view", is again insane! This really put a cheap taste on the town for me. Of course, I met some wonderful people too and this is certainly nothing against Italians because I think they are wonderful people. It was sad for us because we had high hopes on this town.

Again, take note on this hotel and go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank riverwad

Travelers are raving about these Riva Del Garda hotels

northern ireland
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We took a chance on this hotel booking only a couple of weeks in advance and on the strength of having had a drink or two there last year. It is a bit of a curate's egg of a place- some rooms have been revamped to a very high standard; alas not ours. Granted we booked late, but the hotel was never full and few guests stayed for a fortnight as we did so I think we could have been given one of the better rooms.
That said our room was small but a balcony overlooking the eponymous garden compensated. A small cupboard masqueraded as a 'bathroom' and for anyone of average size any movement (pun intended) was challenging. I'm a veteran of Venetian bathrooms and this one beat them all.
Moving on, the food was reasonably good but don't expect a gourmet experience, it is fairly basic. Forget about the wine list and if you must drink, stick to the carafes; you'll find the wine fresher and (slightly) better value. Better still there's a well-stocked supermarket just across the 'giardino' where you will find great bargains including some local wines you will not find at home. So, if you have a balcony a trip to the supermarket for a couple of decent bottles and you have the makings of a lovely evening.
If you are on half board you must choose your evening meal from a very restricted menu left on your table at breakfast time and woe betide you if you don't tick your choice early - the waiter will stand over you until you do. This gets a tad wearing over a fortnight.
The room was well cleaned every day and no shortage of clean towels and linen.
The hotel is just around the corner from the lake so right in the centre of Riva. Light sleepers may be troubled by late night revelry in the small park, but some rooms do not overlook this.
A small secluded sun terrace on the roof is a great spot for a quiet read, only the birds and the bells from the church next door for company.
Overall I would recommend the hotel for a short stay, a fortnight in a room such as ours may not be for everyone and there are plenty of other hotels in this beautiful town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pasadena, California
Reviewed June 2, 2010

This hotel was the armpit of what was, otherwise, a fantastic trip to Italy. The property is adjacent to a youth hostel and, our first night, we were awakened by a group of loud and boisterous young people partying in the park outside our window. On day 2, our room was overun by ants. We brought it to the attention of the proprietor. He was non-accomodating and extremely rude. When he arrived at our room to inspect the insects, he pulled a sealed bag of food from our dresser, shook it in our faces, accusing us of causing the problem (whoever heard of NOT being able to eat food in a hotel room?) and basically walked out. We tried to end our stay and move into a non-infested, quieter hotel, but he told us we would be charged for the full week regardless. When we returned to our room later in the day, the room reeked of insecticide and was littered with the bodies of dead ants (see picture). Upon checking out after a horrible week, and closely examining the bill we found the proprietor had overcharged us by 150 EUROs. Upon our return home, we contacted American Express and disputed the charge; it was rightfully found in our favor and we were re-imbursed the overcharge. Our Italian vacation was marred by the rudeness of the proprietor, his deceptive billing practices and the substandard accomodations.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple