“Even better second time round”

Hotel Garda - TonelliHotels
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My partner and I stayed here from the 9th July - 16th July and were well and truly pleased with our stay. I came to Lake Garda and stayed in this hotel 4 years ago and returned this year with my boyfriend and I found the hotel to be even better than the last time.
When we arrived i was highly dissapointed in our room as we booked 7 months in advance and requested a high room with a view and ended up getting a room on bottom floor at the back with nothing but a view of another hotel! We phoned reception and the lady was rather rude saying no rooms are available and we wont be moved. This wasn't a good start. However,the food was spot on, lots of choice and the free wine and water at dinner time really makes a nice difference.
The hotel is clean, staff are well mannered and its of a good size, not to big not too small. The pool area is small but there's always sun loungers available and the pool is never full of people. The hotel is positioned on the main road which we loved because you have easy access to the local ice cream shops and supermarket which is about a five minute walk to the right of the hotel. I would definitely recommend floras ice cream parlor for the sundaes but for an amazing snickers and nutella ice cream be sure to head to the other ice cream place with is just over the road and to the left of the hotel. Coffee, hot chocolate, cakes and melon are available from 4pm-5pm in the lobby which is lovely, this was out favorite part!! The free wifi is also a bonus if you are someone who likes using the internet to contact loved ones back home which is what we did each night. The connection is great in places and terrible in others so be sure to sit in different places inside and outside to find out where you get the best connection. The beds are another thing i have to add, we have never had a better week of sleep than we did here!!

The only bad points about the hotel i would say are that the rooms on bottom floor are small and the views aren't very nice to look at. We had room 116 and were disappointed as last time i stayed on a 3rd floor room at the front of the hotel which had a beautiful view of the Mounties and street. The music in the lobby is also overplayed and tedious as you hear the same thing every time you sit in the lobby.

All in all we had a great holiday, and would return to this hotel for a 3rd time!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on 3rd floor or above!
1  Thank Rochelle P

Reviewed July 20, 2014

This was our first trip to Lake Garda. We chose Riva in the north and were not disappointed. The town had a mixture of historic buildings and streets, restaurants and shopping areas. We enjoyed the beauty of the surrounding mountains as well as the lake itself. Hotel Garda was in a wonderful location. 2minutes walk to the lakeside with its beautiful parkland, 4 minutes to San Nicolo marina (enjoy a snack and drink in the Sailing Bar) and a 15-20 minutes scenic walk to either Riva or Torbola. The hotel was clean, comfortable, the staff efficient and helpful and the food fabulous. We loved the extras - free afternoon teas, nibbles before dinner, wine and water with your meal every night and use of their bicycles. We loved every minute of our time in and around Lake Garda. We look forward to returning - and would definitely stay again in Hotel Garda.

Room Tip: Third floor up have the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayne F
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stayed at the hotel garda, in riva for a week in July, 2014. The whole stay was excellent, food plentiful, with free wine and water with evening meal, at this time of the season, and light lunch/afternoon tea. We found all staff very relaxed, friendly and professional, and also very helpful, in all matters. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. There is a lovely lakeside walk into riva, from the hotel, which takes approx. 15 to 20 minutes to centre and ferry point. We had a room at the back of hotel, overlooking mountains, third floor. The balcony was small, but the view was excellent.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, or above, facing mountains at rear of hotel
1  Thank Liz B
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I travelled with my wife and two teenage children and we all had a wonderful time at this family run hotel. We feel that there was an excellent choice of food and particularly enjoyed the salad bar and afternoon tea. It gave us an opportunity to try the Italian cuisine which we liked very much. Our bed rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable. We felt very welcomed by the staff and they attended to our additional requests promptly for example fixing a flickering light and providing extra pillows. The hotel and gardens throughout were well maintained despite us not being aware of any work being undertaken. We enjoyed the use of the bikes and there was always good availability. All the staff were friendly and willing to please and provide assistance. We would like to make a special mention to Sonya who worked very hard and was always attentive. Riva is an absolutely fantastic resort and a gem for those who enjoy an active holiday.

Room Tip: If you would like a room with a view - request a third floor and up. But, bedrooms on the first and...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Extremely friendly, unpretentious, comfortable hotel in a very good location. The reception staff were very kind.
I am intolerance to dairy and gluten, but the hotel staff were very careful to make all my meals, not only dairy and gluten free, but delicious as well.

1  Thank Penelope1993
Reviewed July 13, 2014

what a little gem of a hotel.Had a wonderful week long stay at hotel Garda.Spotlessly clean rooms,linnen changed every day,beautiful food with free wine and water with your evening meal.Lovely touches such as tea/coffee and cake in the afternoon and many little surprises such as chmpagne on a couple of occasions before dinner and many little treats in the lounge in the evenings.Very friendly and helpful staff who could not do enough for us.A very enjoyable experience and will definetly visit again

Room Tip: 410 on the 4th floor facing the mountains and lake
1  Thank johngorey
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Stayed for three nights in June 2014. I had a single room which was quite nice and better than expected having patio doors which opened onto a small balcony (which I wasn't expecting!). Shower was good and powerful. Tiling in bathroom was a little dated. As I am used to cruises the breakfast didn't have the same selection ie. not full english as I would have liked however there was enough there for most people. Only had two evening meals which whilst nicely presented were probably not quite choices I would have gone for maybe more for the German market? One night I went to the Opera and Thomson Tour rep said I could ask for something in my room in place of the meal I was missing. I asked at reception and the girl seemed confused by this but then showed me the menu to choose from. However when I got back from the Opera no food of any sort had been left in my room. I didn't mention this afterwards but for a four star rating with Thomson it was a little disappointing service - I had expected a little better. The hotel was in a good position and had nice touches as in afternoon tea (unfortunately only around to try one) and also water and wine with the meal. bed was good size for a single and firm but slept well. Could only get one English speaking station on TV which happened to be news.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo