“Very Poor”

Ristorante Ancora at Hotel Ancora
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Very Poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Visited this restaurant whilst in Riva and only looked at the TA reviews afterwards. To be fair it was the worst restaurant of our week in Riva. We were lured in by the cosy tables in the cobbled street, only for the owner to try and get us to eat on the otherside of the restaurant in the less attractive main street. He was dishing out tickets offering free bruschetta, which turned out to be bread and a bit of tomatoe suce. I just checked the bill and there was a 1 euro cover charge per person!!

The pizza was avereage and the salad poor. Whilst I can't say the service was slow or bad, I don't recall seeing a smile.

Overall, there is better value and quality to be had elsewhere.

• Visited September 2013

• Czech first
“Tasty food but very poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had lunch here on our 5 night holiday to Lake Garda in September 2013.

As soon as we sat down we were given menus by the waiter. However his attitude was not great, he was very moody and snappy when we ordered our food. The food was very quick, I had spaghetti bolognaise and my boyfriend had the four cheese pizza. We were very satisfied with the taste and price of both meals. However the service was terrible in terms of friendliness and attitude. There are much friendlier restaurants in Riva del Garda. Try the restaurants along the lake front, although they are usually more expensive, you will receive better service.

• Visited September 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

From start to finish we experienced hostile, aggressive service. We had one seafood pizza order, and 3 restaurant orders. The pizza arrived very soon, but we waited nearly an hour for the restaurant orders. When addressing a waiter other than "our" assigned waiter, they were barely willing to take our comments. "Our" waiter also looked mad that we would dare talk to anyone other than him - even though he wasn't around for most of the time! In general, he was rude and unhelpful; for instance, when asked if he could replace the mysterious "contorno" in the trout filet with potatoes, he barked back an emphatic "No". (Note: the order did in fact contain potatoes)
The restaurant forgot our side order of wine, forgot our bread (until I asked specifically). I had the trout and thought it was okay: but my friend who had had the seafood pizza threw up later that night.

I suppose the owners think that a tourist restaurant can get away with this type of behavior. I didn't go here again, and wish I had checked the reviews before to spare me the first visit.

• Visited August 2013
Riva Del Garda, Italy
“possibly the worst restaurant in Riva”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our meal was a disaster from start to finish. The owner balled out his employees and eventually cleaned the table, or rather sprayed us unceremoniously, himself. They might not be responsible for buying poor quality wines, our Sauvignon was without character, but they excelled in using poor quality ingredients. My partner's dish, supposedly including crab, turned out to be reconstituted slimy crab sticks. I had ordered "palatine" or chips to go with my pan-fried trout fillet. her dish and a plate of cold chips arrived, followed some five minutes later by my dreadful fish. It was totally over-cooked, badly filleted and full of bones, and just tasted of grease. It also came with potato wedges which were inedible too. Naturally I pointed this out to the waiter and was invited inside to discuss this with the cashier, who might also have been part-owner. After listing the complaints she lost her temper and passed me over to her chef who was equally rude, saying I should have told him how I would have liked the fish cooked! I did pay for what I considered was edible and left quite angry at the disgraceful treatment and food. Commenting on this back at our hotel we heard of other hotel guests who also had the misfortune of eating there and were all admitted to hospital with food poisoning. Believe me I am pretty even- handed when it comes to reviews but I can't say any good about this restaurant, it's organisation, staff or food. To be avoided at all costs!

• Visited August 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fairly poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Ordered seafood spaghetti, it tastedlike yesterday's food heated up in the microwave, the mussels were very small, one prawn on top.
Spaghetti itself was stodgy.
Service was fine, wine was good and reasonable but food itself was poor.
We didn't try the pizza but I have to say they looked good.
Maybe we made a bad choice?

• Visited June 2013