“Detailed Review of Du Lac Garda Holiday From My Daughter”

Du Lac et Du Parc Grand Resort
Ranked #5 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
London, United Kingdom
“Detailed Review of Du Lac Garda Holiday From My Daughter”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Here is a review from my 14 y.o. daughter:

Lake Garda-family holiday

Being a big family of five we are always on the hunt for a perfect family holiday site. There is me (14 years old), my twin brother, my little brother (3 years old) and for Mum and Dad, it is not easy for us to find a place that fits all of our needy wishes, This time we tried out a place in the north of Italy, a small town called ‘Riviera de Garda’ near a lake called ‘Garda’.

Hotel du Lac et du Parc

From the first sight of the building my thoughts were ’21 century, classic, white, clean and clear’. When I went into the building everything was as I thought it would be, bright and shiny, the whole place gave of a fresh and optimistic feeling. The hotel had 7 floors with a comfy elevator. We had two separate rooms one for mum, dad and my little brother, the other for my twin and me. The rooms were spacious and just what you would expect from a 4 star hotel in Italy.
The room with its bright white walls made me refreshed and ready for our family holiday to start.

After we all settled in, we went for a walk to explore the territory of the hotel and to our surprise lots of palm trees, which were growing mixed in with other trees more normal for a medditirenian country like Italy. The air was very fresh and it made the hotel park atmosphere full of life and naturally uplifting. After discovering two crystal clear outside pools with a kids area we happily trotted off to bed.

The lake turned out to be much closer to the hotel than I thought, you just need your room card to get out and the magnificent view is already in front. The dark, bluish-green water spreads out in front of you between huge and lush mountains covered with millions of trees.
The water felt cold at first but it is actually very gentle and you get used to the temperature after a few seconds. On the second day we found a huge rental place at the hotel, this discovery explained the number of wind surfers, sailors, and bikers buzzing around the territory and the lake. After looking around we took a few booklets and leaflets explaining what there is to do with all the wonderful equipment available. Climbing, wind surfing, canyoning, sailing, mountain biking, trekking, kayaking, stand up paddling-are all things that you could get lessons and trips for, or just renting is also an option. All these choices left us in a pickle so we decided to book a few windsurfing and sailing lessons.

A main point in a family holiday is that there is something to do for everyone even if the difference between siblings is 10 years. My brother and me were happy with the wide range of activities available, and of course the little bro was comfortable with just spending time with our parents and us but the problem is mum and dad need some relax time as well from the constant hustling with a 4 year old. That’s when a colorful miniclub invitation appeared before us on our way to breakfast. When we tried it out the little guy was happy to find a lot of toys and a talkative young lady smiling nicely at him, he happily stayed there for an hour and when we came back to pick him up we found him entertaining a bunch of kids of different ages and nationalities. Even though he found it fun at the miniclub he found it hard to leave the safe kids pool near the adult pool and pretty much spent most of the day splashing around in the pool as we enjoyed the sun rays on the sunbeds. Pretty much the hotel had the facilities to entertain the small kids throughout the day.

Where to eat?

When we came to the hotel we had already booked breakfasts there for every day of our stay. I have to say I wasn’t expecting much but the breakfast buffet turned out to be quite nice with a good variety and good quality of food, this made our stomachs happy and our body ready for the rest of the day. Around 1 and 2 we already felt a bit hungry after swimming in the pool and having all sorts of watersports lessons. On the first day we decided to go out to town to see what places there are to have a quick and light lunch, but soon we ended up at an Italian ice cream store near the hotel. At first I thought an ice cream wouldn’t fill me up, but after seeing the portions given I knew I was wrong thinking English and Italian portions are the same. The one scoop of ice cream was huge nearly bigger than the cone itself, but I have to say it was delicious. Later on we discovered a pool bar, with a self-service section in it, the food was good and it was quite convenient as it was near the pool. After finding these two places we knew that lunch was sorted for the rest of the holiday, either you want something sweet or some real food both were available at a good price.

On the first evening we decided to try out a restaurant at the hotel, it was called ‘La Capanina’. I thought the atmosphere was nice and there even was some jazzy music played by a musicianist, but as we had expected everything was quite expensive while the quality didn’t exactly match its price. So reflecting on our mistake on the second evening we reserved a place in a simpler restaurant in the old part of the town, the prices were lower and the food was much nicer. Even though the atmosphere and the decorations at the place weren’t quite the same as the ones at the previous restaurant we had an excellent view of the sea and got a taste of some Italian culture, even the little one had the freedom to run around our table. The next few nights we tried out another few restaurants that the hotel recommended and the ones we found out about around the place. All of us mutually agreed that the best restaurant was ‘La Columbina’. The restaurant was near a vineyard, which created quite a comfortable and traditional Italian atmosphere, the food was very nice and the prices were normal, it was quite small but it had a homey touch to everything, the only bad thing was that my little bro had nothing to do and disturbed the table next to us which is a usual thing for him if he is bored. I personally liked all the restaurants we went to, especially I liked the pizzeria which was opposite our hotel because it was simple and relaxed not uptight about the dressing, it was close to the hotel and I didn’t have to experience the awkwardness of apologizing to the next door table as they had a kids playground. Another few good restaurants are ‘lion d’oro’, and ‘Aqua’.

Things to do around town

At the start we decided to stay in the hotel and explore and use the hotel territory, but after a few days we got a bit bored of sunbathing and swimming in the pool so we decided to ride on the bikes, as I have mentioned before there was a huge number of choice from electrical bikes to town bikes, each one of us picked the one we liked the most, but when we were ready we didn’t actually know where we were heading so we asked the rental guy to tell us where we could ride these bikes, he told us there is an easy trail around town that comes back in a loop to the hotel, we decided to try that out. I have to say by the word ‘town’ I thought he meant we would be riding past buildings but instead we were riding down a river and lots of vineyards with a beautiful view of hills and mountains spread out in front of us. The bike trail was very easy to follow with lots of signs everywhere. On the way we saw different bike trails going off somewhere else and that showed that there were lots of other trails as good as this one. The returning trail wasn’t as good as the first one because it was near a main road, which made the view worse, making us regret that we didn’t go back the same way, but overall the ride was great.

After looking around the hotel we discovered a touristic spot, which had loads of leaflets of things we could do, quickly we grabbed a few of them and set off to look at them in detail. There were loads of things ranging from climbing trails to waterparks. What took our attention was hiking trails, because it wasn’t as hard as climbing but it was still an adventure. In the end we decided to go to a place that we could see out of our hotel rooms, it was a place called ‘ St Barbara’, it looked like a small church and got our attention by lighting up in the evening, so we really wanted to get up and see the view of the town from there. Before climbing up I didn’t really imagine how hard it would be, climbing up an uneven steep path covered with rocks, and by the end of it me, my twin and mum were very happy that we didn’t bring dad and the little one along as we, ourselves barely got up there. Going down was even more dangerous than going up with all of us slipping a couple of times, by the end we were dead tired but I have to say the view at the top was worth it and we really felt like we went on an adventure. Following the hiking trail leaflet we also went on a lakeside walk, which showed great views of the lake all of the family enjoyed it.

As there were a lot of water and theme parks near us, our family decided to devote one day of the holiday to one of them. All of the parks were actually located in the same place but from the start we decided to go to a theme park called ‘Gardaland’. The theme park was fun for me, my twin, and my little brother but our parents enjoyed it less because of the heat and the queues making all of us regret that we didn’t got to a waterpark, still I thought it was quite fun and enjoyable.

Over the holiday we also did some Italian shopping which was nice because of the great sales , our parents also had some fun going on a wine tasting tour coming back happily drunk.

Overall we had great fun during the holiday and all the activities kept us busy and happy, our family would happily go there again as we still have a lot of things to explore and revisit the nice, friendly Italians that get annoyed with us every time we say something wrong in their language.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
22 Thank traveller2013619

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Limerick
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great location, we stayed in the new appartments and the standard was quite good. Serviced every day with a fantastic view of the mountains and lake. The hotel itself is set amongst private gardens with several pools and gated access to the lakeside.
There is lots to do in the locality, I found it an excellent location for a family holiday with a big range of water sport, cycling and running options.
Food is very good and not excessive by way of cost. The nearby village of Torbole is a short walk along the lake front as its the village of Riva. Both villages offer lots of interest and an abundance of restaurants.
Beautiful place and nice people. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Look for an apartment with a view of the mountains and lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank M
Bristol
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The park provides a peaceful and secluded environment just a few steps from the busy lakeside. You can easily choose between the messing around on the lake or relaxing by the pool in the park. Restaurants and Riva town within easy walk along the lake side.

Rooms were stylish. Good air conditioning. Internet via wifi was good in our room and Skype and FaceTime worked well. The safe (unusually) was big enough for a 15" laptop.

The breakfast buffet was great.

The concierge staff (in particular Simone) were great. We had problems with our car and they were a great help liaising with the garage and kept in touch even after we'd left the hotel.

The formal restaurants were a bit fancy and expensive (we ate off site most of the time).

One of the restaurants is in the park (good setting) but when we ate there thumping music from a nearby bar (off site) which detracted. We don't think this was a problem on most evenings.

Room Tip: We had a second floor "park view" room. The park is planted with many mature trees many of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NickBBrs
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Give a title to your review. Summarize your experience in one sentence. This is my fourth visit to the hotel and I return because of the quality of the experience. The hotel is superbly situated and the extensive grounds mean that one can enjoy the lake and its views without the crowds.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lesf924
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful grounds, pools, facilities, etc.
we had both a double and a single room. Double room was very nice with balcony and very spacious. Single room was smaller and faced the 'wrong' way so had no view and was comparatively dark, but only used for sleeping so not that important really.
Breakfast was fantastic, anything you could ask for including eggs or crepes any way cooked to order. Others have commented on sparrows in the breakfast terrace - true, but we found them amusing, it's not like rats, get over it!
The only thing better than breakfast were the dinners. We were half board, which was probably a good thing as €45/head if you're paying as you go. Most evenings, an antipasti buffet, two mains and a dessert buffet plus cheese. All delicious and the staff were so helpful and couldn't do enough for anyone. Extensive wine list and reasonably priced.
We didn't use the kids club, but the kids we saw in the pool with the staff were clearly having a marvellous time.
Loved this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank MarkEmmaJamesGoOut
South Yorkshire
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We loved nearly everything about this hotel; the food was both varied and delicious, the staff were the most friendly and helpful we have ever encountered, the Spa wa excellent anf the hotel itself was set in glorious grounds which led to the lake. Hiowever, relaxing it was not as there was an abundance of toddlers and babies who appeared to be allowed in all parts of the hotel at all times. On several occasions, we saw them running around both the dining rooms and bar while waiters had to elegantly side step carrying pates of boiling food and drinks. Babies often screamed at breakfast and the 'Relax' pool was noisy and also full of children ) even though there was a dedicated family pool) Dogs were allowed too. We would not have gone to this hotel if the holiday company had made us aware of theses issues as it was almost impossible to avoid very small chidren and excessive noise. We have to go in the school holidays but have never encountered so many small children where seemingly, no restrictions apply. However, the hotel cannot be beaten for quality in every other respect and we would return out of school holidays if that ever became an option. The holiday company should have been clearer as we had stated to them that we wanted a quiet and relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, don't go in the school holidays
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank catlynda60
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Lovely setting great pools and gardens .Food was excellent not a great fan of hotel food but this was very good.You will not get a better hotel in this area perfect for trips. Traffic when going out for the day can sometimes be heavy.

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor for views over the lake
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 33 in Torbole
Hotel Luise
Hotel Luise
#3 of 62 in Riva Del Garda

Been to Du Lac et Du Parc Grand Resort? Share your experiences!