New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #29 of 62 Hotels in Riva Del Garda
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

We paid 84 Euros per night for this hotel which included breakfast. Rooms were immaculate and a decent size. It had 2 rooms. One with an excellent shower and wash basin. The other was a toilet and 2 wash basins. All immaculate and clean. There was also plenty of wardrobe space. it was excellent value. We had a balcony overlooking tennis courts and amazing views.

The hotel had 3 pools. 1 indoor which was excellent and open late. The other 2 pools outside were not open although because the weather was good (April), people were still sun bathing around it.

Breakfast was adequate. All clean. One bad point was that we observed bread being put out the night before and left overnight. By then it was rock hard. zero out of 10 for that one. Staff were extremely friendly. Although we were told to close a sliding door to the outside next to us, which I didn't like. My wife was heavily pregnant and felt too hot, They were very apologetic but still didn't like being told not to do this.

Those are the positives.

My main negative which was an issue for me as I need internet to book other hotels on our travels, was the WIFI. When I connected to it, I was immediately presented with a message saying that my connection had been reduced to 256K due to over usage. Even though I hadn't used it. In fact, it was unusable. I had to use my iPhone instead which used a lot of data. In the evening, I went down to reception to mention the problem to which I was told that they had never had this issue before. I asked if they could do anything and they just said no. That is unacceptable.

Although there is a lounge area, don't expect to be able to buy food etc. It seems to only be open at certain times.

Overall I would say that it is a nice hotel which a lot of potential to be much better.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dangermouse501

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

+ very nice building, ample parking space
+ rooms: spacious, quiet, clean
+ service: smiling, unobtrusive
+ in the price: squash, wellness, fitness, 3 pools, 3 tennis courts
+ center of Riva within 10 minutes walking distance
+ pool for kids with toboggan
- we didnt have time to use all the sports amenities - there are so many other things to do - so is it really necessary to pay the extra?

conclusion:
recommended, especially if you like to sport at the hotel

Room Tip: Rooms facing tennis courts will be quieter with better view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PetrSidlo
Neubiberg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Second time that I've been to the Garda Sporting Hotel. The hotel is located 10min walking distance away from the city center. I've booked a deluxe room which are spacious with an large balcony looking over the tennis courts. The hotel has a large wellness & relaxing area which is a great place to relax in the evening. The hotel is also very well prepared for bike, with a dedicated area to store and lock the bikes and even an cleaning area. The breakfast is offering a wide variety of dishes including fresh orange juice. Last year the wifi was a weak element as it only worked in the lobby. This has been improved this year, but the data connection is still extremly slow (here is definitely room for improvement). Overall a very good modern hotel well suited especially for guest who want to do sports.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

for 360 degree pictures, see: http://bit.ly/10BJZ0Q

Still love this place. Because of the very helpful and friendly staff. They really make your stay even more enjoyable!
But after my last visits, some comments why I don't give a 5 star rating.
This time we had a room on the first floor. Room is very clean, and spacious, but you can almost hear every step the people above you take. Since the hotel is just a few years old I consider this as a major construction screw-up. Some isolation would have done the trick....
Furthermore we were in the hotel in May, This means that they haven't turned on the Airco system (which shouldn't be necessary according to the brochure (because of how the hotel was constructed)) So the room could become really hot (on the day of departure, at 6am the room was almost 25 degrees Celcius!!)
and last but not least, it's 2013! Wifi should be available in the whole hotel and surrounding area! Not only in the lobby...... And please, upgrade internet connection to more than 1 (!!) Mbps.

Will I come back? hell yeah! Because 4 star is till good enough for me, the beautiful garden and swimming pools, the enjoyable atmosphere and did I mention the friendly staff?

And 1 final remark for the sporting instructors. It should be FUN, so bring some magic to your instruction!! Smile!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank m1st3ryGu3st
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

After a few nights elsewhere in Riva since this was full, we were lucky they had a last minute cancellation.
This hotel is not closest to the lake (10 minutes walk to city centre, 15 minutes walk to lake; but you can also get a bike), or doesn't have the nicest views.
However, rooms are clean and spacious, bathrooms are very clean, and breakfast buffet is very good for italian standards. This hotel has also nicest facilities in Riva. 3 pools, very good wellness centre and top notch fitness facilities. Tennis courts and a large playground for children. Personel s helpfull and friendly.
So no negative issues? Well, wifi is available but only in lobby. And prices go up and up. And imho they have reached their limit for this 4 star hotel. However, still 5 star raiting

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank m1st3ryGu3st
Modena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed with my husband the second weekend of September. Room and bathroom are big and clean, fitness facilities (3 swimming pools, tennis courts, gym) are impressive and the wellness center is beautiful. They offer the possibility to lock the bycicles. Staff is friendly.
We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but the breakfast choice was very huge.
It is within walking distance (10 minutes) from Riva del Garda center.
It was a pity that we could stay only for a weekend, but I for sure recommend it for active families or couples. I will return here for sure.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlexMo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Came back here for 3rd time in 2 years. I love this hotel. Why? Staff is extremely friendly! hotel is clean, rooms are very nice and clean. Bathrooms are clean. Fitness and welness are IMPRESSIVE! Did I mention the staff is friendly? Swimming pools and tennis courts are in excellent condition. Drinks and lunch at terrace are very good and not expensive.
I enjoyed several aqua gym classes with the locals, O enjoyed swimming and sun bathing with the locals, as almost everything else!
It was also impressive to see the hotel manager helping if it was nessecary. Even cleaning the pool! Two tumbs up!!
No negative issues? Well, the dining room looks awefull, but it's clean! I didn;t like the diners very much, but that's personal (and hey, If you book full board, it won't cost you that much). TV had no movie channels (but hey, who's watching TV when you can sit at the Garda Lake).
ANd one other thing what is not mentioned in the brochure: The swimming pools, the welness and tennis courts are also open to the public! But as I stated before, I enjoyed this very much, in fact, I have now some good new friends in Riva because of this!

Room Tip: Ask for room tennis court site near swimming pool
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank m1st3ryGu3st
GardaSporting, Responsabile reception at Garda Sporting Club Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Hello! Thank you so much for your kind comment. We are glad when people come back to us! And you were with us for the 3rd time! May we just answer you?? Concerning our services...3 pools, gym room, squash, 3 tennis courts, 3 saunas and beauty..all is both for our hotel guests and sporting club members..as explained also in our brochure! We are a sporting CLUB hotel. Anyway we hope you had a good stay again and we hope to see you soon for the 4th time!!!
Have a good time at home.