“Odious hotel! Solo traveller discrimination.”

Hotel Select Suites & Spa
Ranked #15 of 290 Hotels in Riccione
London, United Kingdom
“Odious hotel! Solo traveller discrimination.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I unfortunately booked it through Expedia which meant that I had to pay at the time of booking, which I will never do again! I travelled alone and therefore booked a room for one person for one week. I booked the hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor but I think they must refer to a different hotel!

The room was small, dark and gloomy and looked as though it was last decorated in the 1970s. The 70s bathroom had an old stained bath with a temperamental shower inside the bath.

The "safe" was highly visible and appeared to be attached by glue as it definitely was not secured by screws. It was so tiny that I could not fit any valuables in it and nor did I feel that it was secure, so I had to carry my valuables with me.

I had expected at least a balcony and I had requested a sea view at the time of booking. Instead, the window was small and my view was into other people's rooms! It was the most depressing room for a woman on her own, for an entire week!

I spoke to Olga at reception and expressed my displeasure and showed her my email requesting a sea view. Her reply was as I had booked a "single room", they did not come with a sea view!!!! WHY NOT? I thought that was discriminative but offered to pay more for a better room. She said they were fully booked and that was that. I should have been notified by Hotel Select that I was not going to get a sea view or a balcony as numerous emails had been exchanged between myself and the hotel regarding my time of arrival etc. I was never told. I expressed my concerns again later that evening and said I was extremely unhappy. Nothing was done. I was simply stuck in this dark prison cell!

I stayed for one night but could barely sleep due to the paper thin walls. I could hear other people in the room opposite me, people merely chatting in the room above and was awoken by the commencement of cleaning/vacuuming outside my room at 8.30am!

I could not bear to stay for another 6 nights, despite having paid for 7 nights so I left with my luggage on the second day, to find somewhere better, never to return.

I then received an email from Olga asking if anything was wrong......ha ha!
The outcome is, the hotel would not refund any of the 6 nights even though I did not use the room (maybe they rented it out again ha!) and they blamed this on the booking through Expedia and Expedia have blamed Hotel Select for the lack of refund, as it is their policy not to refund!

BEWARE: SAVE YOUR MONEY AND DO NOT STAY HERE!

Oh and the Spa is NOT included! You have to pay for it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Berniexoxox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Hotel Select in Riccione. We took the half board rate - breakfast and either lunch or dinner. The hotel is not far from the beach. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurant is fantastic!! We would have liked to stay a few more days just for the meals. The restaurant is buffet style but everything is very fresh and delicious. There is a big selection so the only problem is you eat too much because everything is so good. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Renata P
Míkonos, Kikladhes, Greece
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

It's true you don't feel like a guest. They don't make you feel like a guest. The rooms are not to small and very beutyfull and warm . The breakfast is probably the best I have in some hotels in the area (I'm coming here 8 years now) and the food in the restaurant is very good also. Definetly I will come back next year and the years forward

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nick K
Treviglio, Italy
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Good option, nice environment and friendly welcome.Nice are small but nice, and with TV premium channel. Its good to have a god reception and with pool and tube, SPA is a plus even I dont suit.
Breakfast value for money

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ialisos
Toronto
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The standard rooms are what you would expect, clean and small. However we had a small problem with ours and within ten minutes of telling the front desk we were upgraded to a suite overlooking the water. The upper floors are renovated and if we were to go back I think the ocean views are worth the extra money. Breakfast was good, larger selection than most. Cristian recommended one of the best meals we have had in Italy. It is only accessible if you have a car but it was well worth the drive. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors are renovated, brighter and more modern.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MFBM03
cumbria
Reviewed September 26, 2012

the hotel is brilliant value we stayed there for the Misano Motogp, the staff were so helful nothing was a problem they gave us directions phoned restraunts for us even gave us a free lift to the train station as they thought that a taxi was too expensive ! the hotel was spotless and the breakfast was superb. i wouldn't stay anywhere else if i was in Riccione. it's central to shops, restraunts, bus station. what more do you need !!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcotraveller
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Booked with two friends to visit San Marino Moto GP at the Misano circuit just a few kilometers down the road. Booked on line a very simple procedure, bookings were confirmed nearer the date. On arrival made welcome even though our Italian was poor their English was good.
Lots of restaurants, bars and shops close to the hotel so you could eat at the hotel or at one of the friendly restaurants.
We had a lovely five day break for a very reasonable cost, rooms good, clean, friendly and helpfull staff.
Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends