“A pleasure.”
Review of Hotel Dory

Hotel Dory
Ranked #12 of 291 Hotels in Riccione
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My partner arrived two nights before I did, and as such we made two separate bookings, with the booking for two made for the dates I was arriving, though we did get the date wrong. We were happy to pay the extra fee for me on the extra night however this caused a lot of confusion with reception, and we ended up being charged the full rate for two people for all five nights anyway.

We found our double bed was two singles pushed together, however this seems to be quite common in Italy as this is not the first hotel we have encountered that has done this. It is very uncomfortable to share when the beds are two slightly different heights though.

The hotel is modern and the staff speak a variety of languages, the hotel itself caters to a wide range of nationalities, which makes for a great mix at apertivo! The bike mechanic speaks Italian and French however he made a superhuman effort to communicate with my partner who can only speak English.

The hotel offers a variety of rides, though we visited in the week leading up to the end of the season and so there were not as many guests and the groups were more consolidated. There were three levels of rides available, known as "Bikeness", "Cappucino light" and "Cappucino". My partner engaged in the daily rides with the Cappucino group, led by Bartolo who was friendly, knowledgeable and very skilled in solving any mechanical issues that arose. He kept the group safe despite the best efforts of some other riders in the group!

For those who wish to stay back at the hotel the facilities are very good. The pool area has a good amount of both sun and shade and the pool itself was excellent, with several fountains that can be turned on. The spa area boasts two separate spas, and there is also a wellness area that has a sauna and a turkish bath and massages can be booked as well, which is a nice treat after a long day riding. During the time we were there the hotel put on a pizza and pasta course, which I attended while my partner rode and that was a great deal of fun. The chef showed us how to make pizza and several types of pasta such as ravioli from scratch. The instructions were given in Italian by the chef and in French by some ladies who attended and it was a really fun morning that ended far too quickly!

The food at the hotel buffet was excellent every day and there was always plenty to go around. The staff are more than happy to assist with any questions or requests, and go out of their way to make sure everyone is comfortable and having a good time. All in all we both had an excellent time, and the hotel really did make our journey to the region very special. Thanks to the whole team!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Dory_Riccione, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Dory, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thanks for your kind review. Starting a holiday with problem it's not the better way, but we are glad everything went right. The double bed, as you wrote, is very common in Italy when you book a double room. Drelli, our mechanic, is like a super hero and our guests love him. Our staff says to you good bye and hopes that you will come back the next year.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our cycling friends recommended Hotel Dory and we decided to go. I was very pleased with my experience. It is a perfect mixed of cycling, social and visits. Stefano, the owner, really care for each client, he makes everyone feels important. Thank you to all the staff and guides, they are very friendly and competent. We are definitively rebooking for next year!!!
Sandra

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MontrealSandra

We are really glad you trusted in your friends. Hoping you have other friends to tell your holiday. Keep cycling and we wait for you in the next year.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was my third autumn holiday at the Dory and I'll surely return again next autumn. And I'm definitely not the only one, again I saw a lot of familiar faces there.

All in all Hotel Dory is so great I have no intention of trying other hotels in Riccione or even doing anything else than a cycling for an autumn holiday. The building and the rooms are fresh, clean and stylish, the staff is friendly, there's plenty of good food on offer everytime a cyclist needs it and the bikes and the group rides are top notch. There's a beach just a block away, so instead of going to the spa, you can opt take a dip into the Adriatic sea.

During a week you'll get to have a lunch at the owner family's farm house and also (depending on the group you ride in) take part in a wine tasting at another farm house. These are very nice breaks in the middle of the bike rides.

What makes Dory's cycling holidays exceptional is the atmosphere. It's like one big family of cyclists and everyone's in a good mood, laughing and just having a great time. I made a lot of new friends there.

Seeing the owner Stefano himself joining the guests for meals and even bike rides is always a nice touch and shows that he wants his guests to enjoy their holidays.

I rated sleep quality as "average", as the air conditioning was already switched off for the winter and the room was too hot to get proper sleep in due to very warm nights (temperatures didn't drop below 23C even in night time). I gave them feedback about this and I'm sure they'll consider keeping the AC on longer next year.

In late September rain is still a rare case and for example we didn't get any rain on the bike rides. Instead we had temperatures up to 27C and either sun or overcast skies. All in all perfect as earlier the temperatures can be too warm for cycling.

Prices for groups are very reasonable, so I rated value as "excellent".

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for review. Nothing can be added to your words. We are so sorry for the air conditioning, but it is so unusual for us to have that level of temperature. This year we dress t-shirts until the end of October. Unebelievable! Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again before Autumn to let you know how beautiful is our land in other seasons. Greetings from Riccione!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband, daughter and I had such a fabulous time at Hotel Dory last year that we booked our return before we left. We just finished our second trip and we are planning a return in May.
It is so much fun to combine cycling with the Italian culture. The location of Hotel Dory can't be beat. Right near the ocean and lots of shopping and gelaterias! The staff is super helpful, the food diverse and plentiful. The bike routes are beautiful and the rooms are spacious and clean!
Put this on your list of must visit!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel_Dory_Riccione, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Dory, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Also for us it was a fabulous time. It's amazing to have customers from all over the world and we are glad when they fall in love with our territory and our tradition. We are proud of our region and we try to let betray our love and our passion. Hoping to see you in the next spring to know our brand new bike programm.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I went with my wife to Hotel Dory last week and was very impressed with the level of organization and the warmth of the guides and staff.
I am a devoted rider and former racer, but rode the easiest level of ride each day (Bikeness) so that my wife, who rides only casually, was able to join me. Normally, I would be itchy to take off and ride hard, but I did not fell the needs as the rides were so enjoyable.
Some of the other riders in our group were older and less fit, but they were able to keep any pace, thanks to the electric-assist bikes that the hotel rents to guests.

As a professional bicycle mechanic, I always bring my own bike on trips because I am so particular, but I was very impressed with the quality and performance of the bikes Hotel Dory rents. Scott carbon fiber bikes, with top-level components and Mavic Ksyrium wheels! Not bad at all! Flat bar and racing models were available, so anyone can be fit and confortable.

The routes chosen were fantastic. The guides were friendly and informative and knew the back roads and paths insdie out. I am a do-it-yourself kind of guy and I could never have found some of the roads that Sandro took us on.

The rooms were clean and modern. The food was plentiful and the atmosphere was casual and relaxed.

There is no other hotel in Italy that does it as well as Hotel Dory. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Dory_Riccione, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Dory, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Bikeness is our flagship. We started 2 years ago thinking of those people who are not so much fit and want to enjoy landscapes, typical foods and the pleasure to be together. We are very honoured that you choose our easier programms, as you are a bikeaholic. You described Bikeness offer very well. We studied every details to make the bike holiday a real pleasure, from the bike rental to the food, from the routes to the guides. We too can't wait to welcome you and your wife again.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My friend and I went with a 29 others for a cycling trip at Hotel Dory some of which have returned 4 or 5 times. This was my first time to do a cycling holiday. We were there for 8 days and each day was always exceptional!! All the staff was so helpful and friendly. The guides were amazing and helpful, keeping an eye on those who would lag behind and giving instructions on how to use your gears( as in my case) if they saw you struggling uphill. Consequently, I have become a more efficient cyclist. The hotel is about a 3 mins walk to the beach so it was great to go there after cycling. We stayed in a superior room which was very modern and with a balcony. The bathroom was nicely done and up-to-date. The food seems to be limitless!! Vegetables were prepared in so many different ways. Lots of protein, carbs, fruits and of course, italian desserts. There is always varieties for lunch and dinner! I had no issues with the elevator and we always took the stairs.
The cycling routes were amazing and always challenging! The view was always magnificent when one is able to look around and take it in. The bikes were top notch! The barbeque at the country house was a treat! The tasting of the Balsamic's vinegar made by Stefano the owner of the hotel was a nice treat! Now I know what is "real quality" when it comes to this. The wine tasting and the excellent lunch provided another day was a bonus. I purchased the 10 or 12 year old balsamic and can't wait to pour a small amount on vanilla ice cream!
Overall, I would highly recommend Hotel Dory for a cycling tour! It is an excellent value for accommodations, food, barbeque, wine tasting, and drinks . You meet wonderful people from all over the world with the same passion. I can't wait to try it again!

Hotel Dory is A+++ in every way.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

It's amazing to read words like yours. To put all our efforts to offer an high quality service is one of our aims. We always do our best and in your case we got it. We hope you will come back once again as it was your first time by our hotel.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our third year in a row returning to the Hotel Dory for a cycling holiday. The staff is so friendly and helpful and the guides are knowledgeable and encouraging. If you are an avid cyclist and enoy long rides up and down hills this is a perfect place to do just that throughout the beautiful countryside of Emilia Romangno. Stefano the owner and director of the hotel Dory is so charming and accommodating and looks out for his guests best interest and comfort. My husband did the higher end Super Cappucino rides while I enjoyed the more liesurly but still challenging and intersting Bikeness group. You can pick which routes and pace levels you prefer each day which allows you to feel most comfortable on the rides. We love the hospitality and plentiful buffet style meals. This is a place we love to return to and will again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for chosing us again. Reviews like yours fulfill us and let us involve every day to offer a service at the same level our guests expect. We are glad that you liked our Bike and Bikeness routes. Our guides and chef thank you for your kind words and invite you and your husband to come back again next year to discover our new routes. Best regards to you two and we wait for you here in Riccione.