“Very recommended So. Italian cooking class in Ravello, Italy”

Mamma Agata - Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 4 Food & Drink in Ravello
Southlake, Texas
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 290 helpful votes
“Very recommended So. Italian cooking class in Ravello, Italy”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

One of our activities for our 10th Anniversary trip to the Amalfi Coast of Italy was Mamma Agata’s for a day long cooking class and meal (see them at www.mammaagata.com).

We spent the day with Mamma Agata, Chiara, Salvatore and their family and staff and several other class participants in an Italian Cooking Class - learning to cook (by listening, watching, participating) southern Italian cuisine, while stopping frequently for each of a series (many) of courses of amazing food along with many (many) glasses of wine. We had a group of nine – so nice size as well. Great fun with a great deal of laughter.

Mamma has an amazing history, having prepared meals and worked as private chef for politicians / heads of state, celebrities, famous athletes. Some her daughter noted incl Bogart, Taylor, the Kennedy's. She and her daughter and family are delightful, and have a well-honed class and approach - you will be in great hands. We still prepare some of the dishes we learned there.

The property (where both the class and meal occur) is their generations-old family home on a terrace on a cliff top some 1000 feet above Amalfi and the Amalfi Coast, in the town of Ravello. Hard to imagine a more beautiful setting. It’s an easy ferry ride and then taxi up to Ravello.

All in all, a great experience, a great deal of fun, in a beautiful setting. So, yes, very recommended. See our pics on Trip Advisor and "www.flickr.com/photos/daviddmoore/sets/72157629698984230/"

Visited February 2012
2 Thank Dave_from_MN

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A wonderful day!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had a wonderful day at Mama Agata's cooking class in September 2012. The whole day was food and wine (and more wine) as Mama Agata prepared our lunch. Initially, I was not happy to know that she would be preparing eggplant parmigiano, which can be heavy and oily, but hers was light as a feather and exceptionally delicious! I also picked up many general cooking tips which are now part of my repertory. I hope we will be able to return in September 2013 for another fabulous food day!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank hartwellhand
Timmins, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A Must Do If Visiting The Amalfi Coast”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family and i loved every minute so much at Mamma Agata's that we went back to Ravello to enjoy this amazing experience once again. This is a truly special experience with a wonderful and most caring family. Chiara has a unique charm, spark and has outstanding social grace. The teaching team consisting of Mamma Agata, Chiara and Gennaro will provide you with a fun filled learning Italian cooking experience. Your time spent here is better than a Disney experience because it is totally stree free and yet it is family oriented and also very magical. We enjoyed bonding with our Italian family including Chiara and Gennaro's children Mario and Paola and our fellow classmates The interaction during the preparation, cooking and the time eating around the table was altogether pleasant and most memorable. The food was delicious. Children are very welcome and Chiara and her family make it child friendly if you wish. Angela who works with the Hidden Treasure is a gem and will help you at cooking school or even when you are back home with shipping orders from Mamma Agata's. We get the pasta and olive oil shipped to us and relive the experience on an almost weekly basis. The experience is worth every penny.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Owen M
Denver, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“One of the best experiences of my life”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I traveled to the Amalfi Coast with my family this summer, and had the extreme pleasure of enjoying Mamma Agata's full-day cooking class in Ravello, Italy. We were welcomed with open arms by Chiara, Mamma Agata's daughter who runs the cooking school. She greets you with the hug and smile of a dear old friend, and leads you to their giant outdoor table where you will enjoy all of the delicacies you create that day.

There were 13 of us (!) that took this class, and we were blown away by the entire experience. Chiara let us dive in and work hands-on while we created the best Eggplant Parmigiana I've ever had, and countless pastas. It was a 6 or 7-hour experience, full with Lemon Cake, Eggplant Parm, 2 different Pastas, her incredible Lemon Chicken, and of course - more Lemon Cake, and TONS of wine! We even had some down time to explore their extensive gardens, and learn about her husband Gennaro's wine company.

This was my family's favorite experience while we were in Amalfi, which is saying a lot. It felt like we were visiting long-lost family, and we ate some of the best Italian food we had while over there, and learned how to make it all! Since we got home, we have made a lot of her recipes, and they do NOT disappoint.

If you are a foodie and interested in cooking, this is a MUST!! You will adore Chiara and the Agata family.

Visited July 2012
Concord, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highlight of Our Trip”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

One thing I really wanted to do when I went to Italy was to take a cooking class. My husband......not so much! After our experience with Chiara and Mamma, my husband thanked me for insisting saying that it was the highlight of our trip. I agree!

Visited May 2012