WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Superb location; excellent, friendly service; lovely food and wine.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa San Michele

Villa San Michele
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
worcestershire
“Superb location; excellent, friendly service; lovely food and wine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2009

The location is stunning - terraces down the cliff-face, vertically above the sea - and the steps will get you fit, if nothing else ! The bedrooms are cool and comfortable, simply furnished but with plenty of storage space. Balconies give lovely views over the bay; there is also a terrace with flowers and lemon trees, and steps to a sun-deck right down at sea-level. Nicola and his staff are exceptionally welcoming and helpful; the dining-room is friendly and relaxed, with a choice of freshly-prepared , home-cooked dishes using local ingredients, and Nicola will advise on a choice of good, reasonably-priced local wines.
The hotel is by a bus-stop, with services around the coast and inland, but the town of Amalfi is within easy walking distance, from where you can catch regular boat services to Positano, Sorrento, etc - recommended. The main coast road (which everyone warns you against) is actually of a pretty good standard, but is twisty and can be VERY busy -probably not the place for your first experience of Italian driving . . . However, if you do take a car (we did), you can easily drive across to the sites at Pompeii, Herculaneum and Paestum within a couple of hours. We managed to find parking space at or by the hotel every day.
Villa san Michele is not big and glossy; there isn't a beach and there aren't lots of leisure facilities immediately nearby; there are LOTS of steps (and no lift), so you need to be reasonably mobile. But if you want genuine Italian food and hospitality in a spectacular setting, this is a lovely place for a holiday.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PandaWorcestershire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

There were alot of great things about this place: the location, the beautiful private patio in each room, the gardens patios, the swimdeck/boat dock, and most of all the beautiful dinner that is included in your board. The onwers are very happy to assist you with any special arrangements for tours, transportation etc during your stay and in that regard were a godsend. But it was absolutely less than ideal for a family. We brought along our 2 year old daughter with us on this trip. Though dinner was beautiful at the hotel, the restaurant does not open for dinner until 7:30. By the time we got our food, our daughter had fallen asleep on her chair most nights. The nights she hadn't yet fallen asleep, they never offered her a single crumb to eat. Even when I specifically asked for some gelato for her, it mysteriously didn't show up, and another night I asked for an extra peice of cake for her, he only brought 2 and asked if I 'still wanted a 3rd'. She might as well have been a lap dog because they patted her on the head and then didn't feed her a thing. Not even offer her a drink!! We would certainly have payed extra to have our daughter fed, but instead we had to make do with going into town and buying her some cold snacks we kept in the mini-bar fridge, and obviously portioning off our dinners to ensure she was fed. Also, the hotel is litterally built into the cliffside, so the property is over a dozen flights of stairs from top to bottom - so if you have bad knees or any condition that would prevent you from doing several flights of stairs several times a day, this isn't the location for you.

The rooms were actually quite charming, and though it would have been nice if they swept our pation once or twice, the rooms and bathrooms were well maintained. We ate and drank from the minibar for 4 days and when we got the bill, by our calculations, they charged us exactly what they would have paid for each item at the store. Excellent value for your dollar overall.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
amalfi, Owner at Villa San Michele, responded to this review, May 30, 2009
Dear Madame,

I write this e-mail to thank you and to clarify some things.

I’m really glad of most of the words you’ve written about us and I can say that I miss the point about something. I accept your critic words and I will try to get better, but I also want to remind you that I’ve a family that for me comes before anything else.

My personal life philosophy puts children and old people above all the others and, life is strange, in these days we’ve, in the same room where you stayed, a couple with a 18 months old baby. The parents ask day by day a different menu for their child and we fulfil their wishes every day.

This can happen as they talked to us about this particular need.

I’m very sorry you use such words to describe the situation, it was never in our intention to create something like this.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember you let me know you had particular necessities, therefore I thought that, as most of the families with very young children, you had your meals to feed your baby at the most appropriated time.

I would like to remember you that, beyond me and my colleagues, in the kitchen there is also my wife who is miles away far from being insensible as she's a mother as well.

Plus, if you just pointed this to us, we could open the restaurant at least 20/30 minutes in advance.

I think it can be useful to know that I’ve the celiac disease and I’m very close to this kind of matters.

In our restaurant we feed also people with particular alimentary intolerance and it’s testified by some reviews.

The key point in this history, in my humble opinion, is to let the management know about specific situations.

I still remember the way you and your husband enjoyed the atmosphere, the chat with the other guests and our way of working with the smile always on.

I really apologize for the situation you’ve been through, but it’s a relief to read that your stay has been good anyway.

Best wishes,

Nicola Dipino
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

I travelled to Italy with two friends and our first stop was the Villa San Michele. We were not disappointed in our choice of hotels. The staff were absolutely wonderful and it was not an effort for them to greet us with a smile and a wave every time we saw them. They were all so warm and welcoming and we were sad to leave our beautiful little villa on the Amalfi Coast.
Thank you so much for making my first trip to Italy such a wonderful experience.
Linda Lorrain, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gnomekeeperl
Shasta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

Over the past 24 years we have tryed to visit Europe every year and missed few! We spent 3 weeks in Italy this past Sept/Oct., Rome, Sorrento, Capri, Positano, Ravello & Tuscany. Rick Steves, Trip Advisor & Frommers our guides. We enjoyed Ravello as much as the Cinque Terre, and would rate it 3rd behind Venice, Belliago. The food is Rome was expensive and bland, if you go eat only at the family run "locals". Capri on this trip amazing....But then came Ravello and Villa San Michele. Dinner was a bargain, and the food home made, we ate here all 3 nights! The Tabaccoist across the street is perfect for a quick sandwich; made fresh $3.00, espresso $.85 and fresh fruit, drinks or gin/tonic $2.00. Views from room #4 (our rm) Superb. The bus stop up town (Ravello), across the street.
When you go be sure to eat at the Terrace Restaurant right at the bus stop athe the top of the hill in Ravello, excellent food, view, price. I simply cannot say enough about Emiliano and Nicola, they let me leave my rental car in their car park for 3 days while we back tracked by bus( I hated driving the coastal road in the rental car) to Positano, liked this place far better! No charge by staff for 3 days! They may not do it for everyone-but they went out of their way for us. Note: they also apologized for not serving lunch because their own chief-a family member had died the week earlier, we learned this at check-out. Read "Crocandbeard's review-and you might get an understanding of what they were going through at the time of her pregnant visit, bad timing on both parts! You can travel the world over and we have, Hawaii, Bora Bora, Newport Beach/ Balboa, Napa Valley and Manka's in Marin, All in all, this place is sheer magical! If you miss Villa Cimbrone Gardens shame on you. For the money you can't beat it!! The photo's posted by others capture some of the beauty found here. We''ll be Back!!-The Davis'

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NewportDino74
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

Nicola was a wonderful host during our 4 night stay. First 2 nights we had a cute room with a balcony overlooking the sea. Unfortunately, the 2nd 2 nights we had to stay in a nice room without a balcony. Supposedly, when I booked in February, the villa was already almost filled for June! Despite that, there are beautiful views from the various terraces on which the villa "hangs" overlooking the Mediterranean. Both rooms were very clean and the villa in general is kept well.

Nicola's wife and her staff prepare wonderful dinners. We had breakfast and dined at the villa with the other guests, but enjoyed long lunches in surrounding towns (I recommend Amalfi). Dinners were served with wine and the cocktails were also available. I particularly enjoyed the desserts.

Picturesque views everywhere. There are steps to walk down from the terraces to the water where you can swim. You can also sunbathe on the terraces.

The guests were all very friendly, but respectful of privacy.

Wireless Internet was available only in the office at the entrance, where it was a bit spotty as well.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wannabenomad
Delft
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

For the first time we decided to write a review for a hotel as the reviews helped us to make a good choice for our hotels in Amalfi.
We have stayed at Villa San Michele for 5 nights and we enjoyed our stay very much. The room was clean and spacious with an excellent balcony and view over the sea. The personal attention and service that Nicola and Emiliano give their guests made our stay at their place very enjoyable. We wished we had some more time to enjoy the terras under the lemon trees.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TvT-P
Leinster, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2009

This family run hotel is located on the Amalfi Coast just outside Amalfi. Rooms are large and simple. The beds are slightly small. The views are wonderful as all rooms look out to the sea with no interruption. Some rooms have balconeys, request in advance when booking.

Continental Breakfast is served in a restaurant at the top of the hotel. The view from here is fantastic. Dinner is also available in the hotel and is fine, portions are not especially large.

The hotel is very convenient for Amalfi. However, because of the location of the hotel on the cliff face, there are a lot of steps in the hotel which might not suit everybody.

Overall I would say the hotel is very relaxing, probably best suited to a slightly older clientele or to people who want a very relaxing stay in a nice hotel and are not interested in staying in a large chain hotel.

We will be returning again this summer.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank SEIRL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Belmond Hotel Caruso
Hotel Pellegrino
#1 of 20 in Praiano
Ravello Art Hotel Marmorata, Premier Collection
Hotel Parsifal Antico Convento del 1288

Been to Villa San Michele? Share your experiences!