“AnImcomparable Hotel Experience”

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
New York City, New York
“AnImcomparable Hotel Experience”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

At 80 years of age, I have travelled extensively to Europe and elsewhere in the world. Without a doubt, the Caruso is one of the most extraordinary hotels where I had the good fortune of being a guest. The interior of the hotel, a former palace, is exquisite, as are the garden, and swimming pool. And the view over the Amalfi Coast is fantastic.

Equally as wonderful is the staff all of whom speak perfect English. They are friendly and willing to do everything possible to make your stay more enjoyable.

The Caruso is also in a perfect location for visiting the highlights of Ravello, which are many.

Whatever your expectations might be for a five star hotel, the Caruso will exceed them.

Max Pine
NYC

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Max P
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Sir,

First of all let me thank you for taking your time writing this comment on Tripadvisor.

We are really honoured to receive your words full of praise for us, even more since you are a frequent traveller who is used to visit hotels in the whole world.

Our objective is to offer constantly an excellent service and to make come true the wishes of our clients. We are more than glad that we could meet yours expectations.

Needless to say that we would be delighted to welcome you soon again at Belmond Hotel Caruso. Ravello is waiting for you!

All the best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I have just returned from an 8 day stay at the Caruso, and I can honestly say - for overall experience, this has to be the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I stayed in Amalfi with family a few years ago, and was so excited to return for my dream holiday this year with my boyfriend. I was a little nervous initially as the hotel is classically Italian, and probably a little "old fashioned" for both mine and my boyfriends tastes, but this actually only serves to enhances the overall "Italian" experience. From the moment you check in, the hotel staff literally cannot do enough for you - the level of service here surpasses anything I have ever experienced. The hotel itself is beautifully laid out, and our room was spacious and comfortable. (Slight negative point - the beds are very hard, and the TV/choice of TV channels is quite poor - not a deal breaker but if you're confined to your room for any reason it's a bit frustrating. Oh and and no soft close toilet seats!) The food at the hotel is top notch, particularly by the pool bar where the staff are amazing.. especially Tomas and Daniele, who were so wonderfully helpful and cheery every day, that our pool bar lunch was always the highlight of the day. Evenings in the beautiful piano bar was also something to look forward to, with probably the best cocktails I have ever tried being mixed up by Tomas nightly. Breakfast was also a highlight - with masses of choice, and a super smiley and ever-helpful team headed up by Giovanni - who was always there every morning to personally greet guests. Gennaro on the front desk is without a doubt the best concierge I have ever come across in my time (and I've come across a lot!) and is so helpful with recommendations for dinner, excursions and he really made our stay so enjoyable. There is no doubt this hotel is beautiful.. the food is amazing, the setting is stunning, the grounds and exquisite.. but what really makes this hotel exceptional is the staff and service. Yes it is very expensive (32 euros from some aftersun through room service - ouch) but you do get what you pay for, and the overall experience and feeling you get from staying here, is to me, worth every penny. I was hoping for my dream holiday and Hotel Caruso - you didn't disappoint.

1 Thank harriet1809
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Madam,

first of all I would like to thank you for taking your precious time to write such an amazing review on TripAdvisor and for choosing the Belmond Hotel Caruso for your dream holiday.

I am flattered by your words and I am so proud of my staff; they are definitely and truly passionate about what they do and it makes me happy to read about your memorable stay.

I really hope to welcome you and your boyfriend at the Caruso soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 12, 2014

What can you say about a little piece of heaven!
This hotel is undoubtedly expensive but the service is excellent, the location is imcomparable with a view to lose the breath and with a pool that is an architectural masterpiece!

1 Thank Marilinda P
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for taking your time to leave a comment on TripAdvisor.

Me and my staff are glad to read that you were satisfied with our services and with our hotel and that you have enjoyed our beautiful views.

We really hope to welcome you at the Belmond Hotel Caruso as soon as possible to enjoy once again our infinity pool and our atmosphere.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is expensive and we were unlucky with the weather so could not take full advantage of the pool, but we still had a great time, staying four nights. The Monday was marred by construction noise from outside the hotel but near the pool, which we had not been warned about. Beautiful view from our suite with balcony, and more storage than in other Italian hotels we had been in. Room 64.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
FrancoGirasoli, Direttore at Belmond Hotel Caruso, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Sirs,

I would like to take the chance to thank you for taking your time to leave your comment on TripAdvisor.

First of all I would like to apologize for the construction noise and let you know that we were not able to warn because we were also not aware of it.

Anyway, me and my entire staff are glad and happy to learn that you had a memorable stay and I hope that you will return soon to the Belmond Hotel Caruso to enjoy our Infinity Pool with nice weather and without any noise.

cotswolds
Reviewed May 11, 2014

What a wonderful place the room was fantastic with very comfy bed and marshmallow pillows. The terrace had both loungers and two areas to sit either in the sun or sheltered if it rained. The views where breathtaking even during the evening at the lights from the town below gave a whole new aspect to the scene.
We had room 305 which was amazing we were welcomed with lemonade and also some Strawberrys to share in our room. The fridge was well stocked with alcoholic beverages and sweet treats.
The staff are very attentive being on hand when needed. Outstanding food and Choices throughout our stay. The only complaint would be that we had to come home!!!

Room Tip: Room 35 has beautiful views both day and night. very luxurious too.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sirs,

on behalf of the entire staff I would like to thank you for taking your time to write on TripAdvisor and for your beautiful words.

I really hope to welcome you at the Belmond Hotel Caruso as soon as possible to enjoy more time here with us.

florida
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stayed for five days in May. We can truly say this is one of the most beautiful hotels in Italy . As other reviews have stated the views are magnificent . What's more important about the Caruso is the staff. From you arrival to departure, nothing is to difficult, reservations, transportation, suggestion for day trips or any of your needs will be taken care of. On the night before our departure, we ate in the hotel restaurant and the food was fantastic. We came back to our room and found a note on our safe advising us our safe was left open and to call to reception for our new access code. NOTHING was missing . At how many hotels would that happen . If you stay on the Amalfi coast and you love great hotels stay at the Caruso .

1 Thank redmanfloridapvb
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for the time you took to write a comment on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy and honored for your flattering words and we hope to welcome you soon here at the Belmond Hotel Caruso for a new memorable experience.

Newark, UK
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We booked our week at the Caruso to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday and having read the reviews we were expecting it to be perfect. It is a beautiful hotel in a superb location and we had a super room with impressive views. The infinity pool and hotel grounds were stunning.

The restaurant had panoramic views and a very professional and personable Manager. We were very impressed with our meal on the first evening and thoroughly enjoyed the boat excursion the next day around the coast. We really did feel that we had made the right choice of hotel.

Unfortunately the cracks then began to appear. The second evening we went down for our evening meal and the menu was exactly the same, as it was every evening for the whole week that we were there. This certainly wasn't what we expected from this quality of hotel and it certainly did detract from the enjoyment. To be fair the Restaurant Manager Giovanni did suggest a main course not on the menu on the sixth night as he appreciated we had run out of options.

We had two lunches at the Poolside Restaurant which were poor - cold pasta & burnt pizza. On the second occasion, we did mention it and indeed had to leave the entire edge of both pizzas but nothing was made of it .

We did find some aspects of The Caruso a bit false & at times attempts by some staff to up-sell cocktails etc was bordering on embarrassing.

The hotel did give my wife a cake for her birthday which was very tasty but it was somewhat disappointing that she didn't get it until breakfast on the day after her birthday. (The waiter said he had tried to deliver to our room on the evening of her birthday but we had our do not disturb light on. However we had been in the restaurant as usual that evening).

I wouldn't say that we didn't enjoy our stay but it is expensive and we have stayed at several hotels in Switzerland which we would rate better at not much more than half of the Euro 1000 a day to stay at The Caruso. If you are getting a Taxi from Naples Airport (and don't feel the pressing need to be seen arriving in a limo) then we can recommend Salvatore & his white SEAT from Ravello Taxis who did an excellent job - including ferrying us around Pompeii & Herculaneum on the day of our return trip to the Airport - a good, professional, service & a really interesting guy.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank XS-Baggage
Dear Sirs,

thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you have selected our hotel and on behalf of the entire Team at Belmond Hotel Caruso I wish to thank you for your recent visit.

I am sorry to read that you were not satisfied with our restaurant menu as we have 22 different courses ( 6 Hors d’Oeuvres, 4 Pasta and Soups, 3 Vegetarian courses, 5 Fish and 4 Meats courses and a Menu of The Day, and my staff is always more than happy to offer alternatives not on the menu. Also the swimming pool menu is very rich with a Salad Bar, Pizzas and 20 different courses and I apologize for the inconvenience of the burnt pizza that I am sure occurred only once during your stay.

We ​take our Guest comments very seriously and we always strive to improve and​ I really hope to welcome you again at the Belmond Hotel Caruso and make everything right.

Best Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Palazzo Avino
Ravello Art Hotel Marmorata, BW Premier Collection
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#6 of 38 in Positano

Been to Belmond Hotel Caruso? Share your experiences!