“The Highlight of our Trip to the Amalfi Coast”
Review of Villa Maria Hotel

Villa Maria Hotel
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed for three nights in a superior double room, and both wished we had been able to extend our stay. Ravello itself is stunning. it is an ideal spot for a relaxing break and I was delighted we had chosen Villa Maria. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly from the moment we arrived. The room was clean, modern, and spacious, with an amazing view. The restaurant is not inexpensive, but delivers meals of outstanding quality in a magical setting. We ate there for each of the three nights of our stay. Villa Maria is a hotel we are determined to return to one day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Villa Maria Hotel

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights during a walking holiday along the Amalfi Coast. The staff were good, although more efficient than friendly. The room was very nice and had a spectacular view over the mountains and the coast. We were able to use the pool at the neighbouring Giordono hotel down the road.

The only negative for this hotel was the price of the restaurant. We ate here on our second night here and the view from the terrace is spectacular but the food was very expensive, although good.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

For the most part, we enjoyed our four-night stay at the Villa Maria Hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed our time in Ravello. Our Superior Double room was spacious, clean, and comfy, and the balcony offered an amazing view of the coast below. The hotel restaurant, where we had one lunch and two dinners, provided some very tasty meals as well as a very nice setting. The breakfast selection was also impressive. The location of the hotel was quite nice and convenient, although Ravello is such a small town that if you're staying anywhere in the town you'll be pretty close to everything. The staff that we interacted with were very professional and friendly. I really appreciated that they went out of their way to accommodate our last-minute request for a private guided tour of the Gore Vidal house (which I highly recommend).

My primary quibbles are pretty minor: the furnishings were a little on the dowdy side, although I suppose some might perceive them as just being "classic" or "traditional"; the restaurant service was a little erratic (sometimes they were very attentive and personable, and other times they totally forgot about us and seemed aloof); and both the temperature and pressure of the water in the shower could change from one second to the other. If you timed your shower just right, you could take a warm, relaxing shower, but if you didn't, you'd have to make the most of a small trickle of lukewarm or freezing cold water.

My only reservation about recommending the Villa Maria is that we strongly suspect that we had some items stolen from our room during our stay. Our second night there, my partner went to look for a small packet of over-the-counter drugs he always takes with him when we travel (stuff like Imodium, Benadryl, Advil, etc.). He had just seen them in his bag the day before when we'd packed up our stuff and left Naples. And suddenly they were gone. Under most circumstances I'd probably chalk up the drugs' disappearance to his own negligence, but earlier that day I'd noticed that my dopp kit, full of all my hygiene items, was zipped up, and I never zip it up between uses, only when I'm getting ready to pack it up and put it my suitcase. At the time I didn't think much of it other than "That's strange. Why would the cleaning person have any reason to zip up my kit?" But I thought maybe they were just being orderly. Then when my partner discovered that his pills were missing, I thought it seemed pretty obvious that someone had been meddling with (and possibly taking) our belongings. Because we didn't have any solid evidence, just our strong suspicions, we didn't say anything about the matter to the hotel staff. We didn't want to spoil our stay with a dramatic episode of theft accusations. Plus, it wasn't like these OTC pills were worth that much; they're really only valuable when you need to take one. Still, I'd advise people to lock up anything that they think might be attractive to a potential pilferer.

1  Thank briguy2006
villamariaravello, Owner at Villa Maria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

it's really sad to read such a review. We hope the clients found their “missing idems” on their way back home (as it usually happens).
Our staff, as well as being polite and professional (most of our reviews describe that) is composed of people that we really trust! . it is ridiculous to read of the 2 missing pills, partly because the hotel is equipped with medical kit with First Aid and OTC pills at the disposal of our staff, so, there would have been no reason to accuse our staff of such a defamatory thing.
At the same time, we are very happy to find out the stay was enjoyable! Our main achieve is to leave to our welcomed guests a good memory!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family and I attended a cooking class with Chef Vincenzo Amatruda during our trip to the Amalfi Coast in the beginning of June. I have to say it was a highlight of our trip! Vincenzo was so personable and the environment so inviting we all felt right at home. There were 11 of us in the party and Vincenzo made sure we were all able to participate in the cooking experience. After learning how to create an incredible meal, we were able to enjoy the fruits of our labor with a fantastic selection of wine. Vincenzo went out of his way to make sure everyone was having a wonderful time. At the end of the afternoon the owner of the hotel stopped in to make sure we enjoyed our experience. I highly recommend this cooking class!! Thanks Vincenzo for an unforgettable afternoon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, but we attended a cooking class there. It was wonderful! We had the whole family (all four kids), but our instructor, Vincenzo, encouraged everyone to get involved. He made the experience very enjoyable and had everyone laughing and feeling at home. Even the eleven year old boy loved it! The food was fantastic, as well. We would highly recommend this to anyone, from experienced chefs to absolute beginners.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We Stayed in Villa Maria for 5 nights.The room although small was clean and nicely decorated.The view from terrace was great.The bathroom was really small (to be honest It's a bit silly to put a bided when there is no space for proper shower)The fridge in the room did not work (it had exactly the room temperature inside).We were told that is was ok and it's suppose to be like that.The walls are really thin.We could hear every word behind the wall.However the real issue was the food.The breakfast was really boring.When you come for 5 nights you expect some variety.But no,every day the same.And very poor selection plus coffee which tasted like coffee cereal.After two days we were sick of it.Dinner was even more disappointing.Very dull and no flavour.We would recommend this place for one night stay only.And find another place to eat.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We spend two nights in this beautiful hotel, away from the center of Ravello, overlooking the ocean. We had a lovely room with a fairly large terrace.
Breakfast was not served until 8 am, and some items such as omelettes were not available right away, which was a little inconvenient for us, as we were hiking and wanted to get an early start. We had dinner on the terrace on the second night. The view over the coast was breathtaking and the meal was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple