“Magical evening at the Palazzo Sasso” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palazzo Avino

Palazzo Avino
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
UK
“Magical evening at the Palazzo Sasso”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2005

We spent a wonderful holiday on the Amalfi Coast in June 2005 and decided to try the two Michelin starred restaurant at the Palazzo Sasso one evening. On arrival we were very graciously greeted by both reception and Maitre d' and settled in the wonderful outdoor bar overlooking the magical sunset along the Amalfi Coast. We were offered a choice of two beautiful tables and then taken very carefully through the imaginative menu. Our meal and wines were superb and the service was exceptional throughout. On the strength of this evening we would definitely consider returning to stay in this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank JMRM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2005

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights at the PS for our honeymoon. At first we were a bit intimidated when the car service dropped us off late in the evening and pointed towards a dimly light passage way saying the PS was just past the archway on the left. We had flown in from Milan and were exhausted. Molly (my wife) gave me a puzzled look and I thought to myself, Oh no, I hope this is the right place....

Well, it was almost magical. The PS opened up to us and provided warmth and romance. We were immediately greeted by Carla, who was charming and courteous. A few minutes later we were given cocktails and shown to our room where a chilled bottle of champagne waited for us.

I recommend the PS to anyone looking to charm the heck out of their new bride, wife or lover.

Luis and Molly Ruiz

• Stayed October 2004
10 Thank luisfruiz
Bermuda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2005

We just returned from a wonderful two week trip through Italy staying at the Palazzo Sasso for 4 nights followed by 3 nights in Tuscany (Locanda dell'Amorosa hotel), 3 nights in Florence (Helvetia & Bristol hotel) and 6 nights in Rome (Hilton Cavalieri). All of these hotels were fabulous. Of the four, Palazzo Sasso was the most stunning. We loved it! It is gorgeous and Ravello is really charming - especially at night. We got a great rate booking well in advance (210 Euros/night). We did not have a great view from our room but the hotel has many lovely public areas with great views. The room we had was quite large and very clean. The breakfast each morning is fantastic and sevice was excellent. We had dinner at the Caruso next door one night which was also excellent.

We had two "issues" which we thought we'd let folks know about. One is that Ravello, while it is one of the most charming towns, is not an easy "base" from which to see the Amalfi coast. The bus is easy and cheap but LONG. Making the connection to Ravello in Amalfi is not always possible. Taxis to Amalfi run about 30 Euros each way. We spent a day on Capri leaving from Amalfi which worked out pretty well but the times are not too frequent in October. The trip to Sorrento is almost 2 hours by bus. We spent a lot of time on public transportation! Another thing - we arranged through Palazzo Sasso to have a driver meet us in the Naples train station upon our arrival. This was a good idea as we were exhausted from our flight/train and the Naples train station is quite sketchy. They sent us a minivan pick-up at the cost of 210 Euros. This was fine and what we had agreed to. However, when arranging a car to Sorrento for our return, we learned that we could have had a car - not a minivan - at a much lower cost. We were never given that option when pre-arranging over email.

Overall, though, we loved the hotel and facilities.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank BermudaTraveler1
Epsom, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2005

W chose this hotel on the recommendation of a colleague & our expectations were very high due to a significant amount of research that we undertook before making our booking - it was our honeymoon. The good news is that we told on arrival that we would be upgraded to a suite after 4 nights which they did & it was superb. Had they not, we would have been disappointed with the room (208). It was clean and had a great view of the sea but was small and the bathroom is a disgrace for a hotel of this standard & price. It was small and the upright corner jacuzzi shower is a joke - straight out of B&Q.

The staff are wonderful and give you just the right amount of privacy whilst attending to your every need. We stayed for 13 nights (most people seemed to stay 3 to 5 nights) & this is the reason why we were upgraded & not because we were recently married- our room seemed to be one of the most popular due to its view and price 590 euros a night and so they can turn it over more often. All in all, I would agree with other reviewers - the Palazzo Sasso is a wonderful hotel in a lovely location but its expensive for what it is. Rossellini's restaurant is exceptional but you won't want to eat there more than once. Take a walk around Ravello and pick and choose the different restuarants and hotels; you won't be disappointed. The Villa Maria is worth a visit too.

• Stayed July 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Alderwasley
Pleasanton, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2005

If anyone finds serious fault with the rooms, service, or amenities of this establishment, they have truly led extraordinary lives. We stayed for 5 nights. Our room was virtually pefect, from the view to the unobtrusive attention we received. The setting is ideal for a restful vaction stop. The restaurant (we ate there two nights) is first rate. And the staff could not have been more helpful. In short, outstanding.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank dnlcsl
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2005

My fiance and I booked to stay in Palazzo Sasso as we were getting married in Ravello and thought it would be a lovely start to our honeymoon. My bridesmaid and I checked in the day before the wedding (as my fiance stayed in a different hotel) and the hotel staff upgraded our room 'to give us more space whilst getting ready'. We were delighted with the room we had been given - until the wedding day came. I had previously booked a 2pm check out, as we were getting married at 3pm but received a call on the morning of the wedding telling me that the upgraded room was needed for the someone else and we would have to leave it. What had been a lovely morning quickly spun into a very stressful and emotional time as the hotel put great pressue on us to get out of the room we were in and called me four times to hurry me out! I was really upset that they had upgraded us at all if they were going to treat us so badly on what should have been a lovely morning. I would have reather had the room I had booked without the stress of feeling rushed on my weddding day! We checked out of the hotel for the wedding night and checked back in the day after for our honeymoon. After this incident the reception staff were indifferent to my new husband and I. I would go so far to say that they made us feel uncomforatable! The hotel is beautiful and Ravello is amazing, but I agree that Palazzo Sasso will need to work much harder in the face of such close competition as the Caruso. My family stayed at Hotel Villa Maria and Giordano in Ravello and all had fabulous experiences, and at a greatly reduced cost! The experience we had at Palazzo Sasso was certainly not what we expected from the five star price tag!

• Stayed September 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank Lito
dallas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2005

The room -number-215-was disappointing in it's lack of view and above all it's dangerousness. There is a staircase with no railing from the door of the room down to the room itself. It is very narrow and an accident waiting to happen. The air conditioning in our room did not work at this much revered hotel. It was very noisy and on last legs. I don't feel it is my duty to point this out to staff. They turned it on prior to our arrival, so I am sure they heard it's racket. I would expect this in a road motel, but not Palazzo Sasso.
The reception staff has a rather casual attitude about their work, which I find disconcerting. The pool, gardens, and commom areas are quite lovely though.
We had also stayed at the Palumbo many years ago. It was shabby but satisfactory.
In the future we will stay at the newly renovated Caruso.......I went for a tour and the reception staff was professional and welcoming. The grounds were stunning.It looks simply fantastic. Palazzo Sasso will have to improve much in order to compete with the Hotel Caruso.

Stayed September 2005
14 Thank DallasKathy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Belmond Hotel Caruso
Hotel Palumbo Palazzo Confalone
Villa San Michele
Villa San Michele
#1 of 21 in Ravello

Been to Palazzo Avino? Share your experiences!