“Lap Of Luxury”

and 1 more site!
Palazzo Avino
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Myself and my partner stayed here for 2 nights in Aug '05.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The staff were excellent, friendly and attentive without being intrusive.
From the moment you step through the door you feel cocooned in luxury.
Rooms and common areas are finished to the high standard you would expect from a 5 Star hotel and perfectly maintained.

Our room was advertised as "mountain view", this should be read as "no sea view" and you should not expect a breathtaking mountain vista.
To us this was not a big deal and the views from the gardens and terraces down to the coast were spectacular.
The pool and terrace areas are glamorous, where you are looked after and cooled down by the staff providing sorbets and cold face cloths.

The hotels "Rossellini's" restaurant is a two Michelin stars restaurant so you now what your going to pay a few Euro for your meal.
We ate here one of the evenings and I am not a gastronomic critic so I won't say too much except that I preferred the simpler menu of Caruso's in Sorrento.

Breakfast in the mornings were a treat.
Great food, varied with lots of local produce, enjoyed on the terrace looking out over the coast.

Overall I would without any hesitation recommend the Palazzo Sasso to my family and friends.
I also look forward to staying here again soon.
From Ireland or the UK if you have some money to spend but time is short and you don't want to waste it traveling too far then this is an ideal venue.

It may be luxurious and marble laden but it's actually the staff that make a stay at this establishment a 5 Star Experience.

Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank CKONE

New York
Reviewed August 12, 2005

After much research, we decided to stay at the Palazzo Sasso based on the reviews we read. It is a wonderful place but due to the negative points I listed, I would not stay there again. I have stayed at a number of luxury resorts and would rather spend the money elsewhere.

Positives:
1. Beautiful hotel
2. Stunning views
3. Great food
4. Attractive room

Negatives (obviously, this is my experience but may not be yours):
1. Our Mountain Side Room may have been attractive but the view was sad. The one window in the room was small and in the corner with a dead garden outside of it right past the street we were above. The mountain was somewhere in the distance past the garden which you can't really see that well. We were so surprised by the room that we actually called the front desk to say "Are you sure this is the right room?"
2. We chose one night to crash in the room and watch a movie. Surprisingly, the movie option did not work and when we called the front desk they said no one could help us and we had to wait until the technician came in the morning. To heighten our frustration, they got our room service order wrong and it became an issue when we questioned it. Their lack of service and tone was not appreciated. By the way, no one ever fixed the movie problem and no one ever followed up with us.
3. As soon as I laid down at the pool I was stung by a huge bee which, a month later, has left a hard mass under my skin. We mentioned it to the front desk and all they did was pass me a "used" tube of medicine. I guess this incident has happened before so they were prepared. A guest later told me that they have an occasional bee problem during certain hours of the day.
4. The pool is small and so is the spa.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed July 28, 2005

We recently spent 4 nights at the Palazzo Sasso in Ravello. Everything about this hotel was first class. We were made to feel at home and the staff went out of their way to make sure we were well taken care of and as comfortable as we could be; what more could you ask for?

We had a late arrival at the Rome airport and called to alert the hotel we might be late. The clerk waited up for us and we had a wonderful meal and bottle of wine (complimentary) set up in our room.

One of the best things about this location is Ravello itself. Not as busy as Positano or Amalfi but with wonderful cultural attractions steps from the front door of the Palazzo.

All of our meals were first class; the service was first class. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend this hotel. It is not cheap, but Europe in the summer cannot be compared to North America for prices.

"You get what you pay for."

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2005

We stayed at Palazzo Sasso in late June while on a 5 day looong weekend from London. This was the only disappointing part of our trip (we were also at Capri, in Luna Hotel which is great, and the Sirenuse in Positano).

We loved Ravello, and loved the setting of the hotel. It does have a lot going for it (wonderful vista, nice pool and sunbathing areas, lovely terraces for dining). But we thought it was exceptionally bad value for the money we spent. We had reserved a "Junior Superior Suite" with a sea view, and given the costs we had correspondingly high expectations.

The room would have been lovely on a rainy day. But you would not have known it was in a hotel with a breathtaking view. It had, relative to the other rooms, small windows giving onto the view and no terrace. If you stay here, you would be much better off getting a standard room with sea view. Much bigger windows with better views than the suite we were in. We were in 210, rooms 204-208 would have been better value for the money.

The other gripe we have with this place is that it is relatively soulless. Especially a pity given the town it is in. It all feels a bit antiseptic. We haven't stayed at these hotels, but Villa Cimbrone (which now has a pool) or the Caruso could be better options.

• Stayed: June 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2005

We recently stayed at the Palazzo Sasso and were looking forward to eating at the Michelin starred restaurant. It was worse than disappointing - it was just plain bad. The menu was experimental to a fault - all raw fish and strange combinations. The beef was overcooked and the management did not seem to care when we complained. By all means stay at the hotel, but don't spend $250 on eating there unless you have money to burn (as your steak might be).

• Stayed: April 2005
11  Thank NinaR
Reviewed May 24, 2005

5 star service, 5 star resturant, 5 star view, 3 star accomodations is how I would rate this hotel. True that the grounds are immaculate and view spectacular, but I did not in any way feel like I was in a 12th century Palazzo nor did the rooms match the photographs advertised. Our room was small and fairly basic with Frette sheets and a nice view as the leading quality. Keep in mind that this was after staying at Le Sirenuse in Positano, which I found to be a good deal more spacious, charming and luxurious. The decor I would describe as "corporate blah" meets "faux castle tacky" and the bathrooms were disapointing. I would never have expected an upright plastic shower at such a nice hotel. The pool and Spa are very pretty, if not a little smaller than they appear in pictures. The best features of this hotel is the wonderful staff and location. Ravello is beautiful and the staff was very accomodating arranging a chartered boat to Capri for the day for my husband and I. Our one dinner at the hotel was outstanding. Lunches on the patio were fairly good with excellent service.

• Stayed: May 2005
14  Thank Bouquet61
Reviewed March 10, 2005

Good hotels in the south of Italy are a bit hard to come by. In the Amalfi coast, the traditional top 2 used to be Il San Pietro and Le Sirenuse. Since a couple of years ago, there has been a third: Palazzo Sasso. I cannot compare it to the San Pietro, because I have never stayed there, but I did visit Le Sirenuse, and Palazzo Sasso is very similar (style, luxury, hilltop perch, views of the ocean, etc.) But while Le Sirenuse is smack in the middle of Positano, which is usually swarming with tourists, the Palazzo Sasso is in Ravello, which is a far more peaceful, though equally beautiful, town. The Palazzo Sasso cuisine is also better.
I can understand some of the frustration from previous reviewers who heard noise from a hotel renovation next door to the Sasso, but when I stayed there I was fortunate enough not to witness any renovations, and I can say the hotel was VERY quiet. I stayed there during a trip when we made a point of visiting the very best hotels in Italy and the South of France. The Palazzo Sasso definitely belongs in that category. Don't expect the opulence of grand city hotels. This is more like a little jewel.

• Stayed: April 2004
18  Thank SalvadorMG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
0 mi away
Villa Piedimonte
Villa Piedimonte
#4 of 21 in Ravello
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi

Been to Palazzo Avino? Share your experiences!