“Great time but considering mortgaging my house to pay for it.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palazzo Avino

Palazzo Avino
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Rochford, United Kingdom
“Great time but considering mortgaging my house to pay for it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

This hotel is excellent in almost every way. There are many positives and I will try and cover them all.

The quality of service was flawless. Every member of staff does all they can to ensure you are comfortable and happy at all times. The General Manager Antonio dealt with all my pre holiday enquiries quickly, politely and no request was too big. He ensured I already felt comfortable and excited about the holiday before I even stepped onto the plane.

We were lucky to have great weather and spent a lot of time in the pool area lounging on the recliners. It was here that we were lucky enough to meet Gerardo who looks after the pool area and made this the most relaxing thing we did at the hotel. Without even asking he will come to you with a cool towel, a pillow, a menu and even some small binoculars.. He is friendly, happy to help in any way he can and he excelled at customer service, standing out even in this hotel which has great service throughout.

We visited the hotel bar most nights and the bar staff are fantastic, especially Stefano who makes the best cocktails I have tasted anywhere and who has also mastered the art of unobtrusive yet attentive service.

It is this service element that makes this hotel special. I really cannot say enough good things about it.

The cleaners do a fantastic job and you will not find a cleaner hotel. It is spotless.

The location provides for amazing views. Some rooms have better views than others but this should not be a deterrent as there are enough facilities and grounds within the hotel to ensure you have amazing views any time you like.

Some people say the rooms are too small. I had a king size mountain view and did not find them small at all. I am used to London hotel rooms and these are more than adequate.

As far as negatives go, there are only a couple and only one that really stands out.

COST. This hotel is ridiculously expensive. I do not believe the expense is justified no matter how good it is. I am not rich by any means but even if I was, I would struggle to find it justifiable to myself to pay 18 euros for a cocktail or 5 euros for a glass of diet coke. The cost of this hotel was shocking to me. Breakfast is free and the food is great but if you want it in your room it costs another 24 euros for 2 people. This is immoral as carrying the same breakfast up an extra flight of stairs should not warrant ANY extra charge, let alone the cost of a decent breakfast anywhere else.

The reason the hotel charges what it does is because it can. Ravello is a VERY small place and there simply isnt an alternative to these extortionate prices. We finally found a cheaper pizzeria and ended up visiting three times in 6 days. It was the only way to stay afloat.

A smaller complaint is that the king size bed is two singles pushed together. This irks me at every hotel I have ever been to and I dont see the need for it. Its a cheap way of doing things and this hotel certainly does not need to count the pennies.

All in all this is a great place to visit for a few days. After that it can get boring and the bill will gradually wear thin on you if you dislike the feeling of overspending by perhaps 200%. This is definitely a rich mans town and a rich mans hotel. I am now home and enjoying being able to buy a whole 8 pack of diet cokes for less than a glass cost me last night.

Room Tip: Dont worry if you cant afford the rooms with the best view - there are many parts of the hotel to si...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Leon M
Mariella A, Direttore at Palazzo Avino, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write on your recent stay at Palazzo Avino.

We appreciate a lot all your positive comments on the property.
We are sorry to hear that you found the prices of the several facilities too expensive. We take on your comment and we are sorry about this impression. However, please note that every detail from the food to the beverage is very handpicked and selected. We do not serve even a coke by itself but it is always accompanied with dry snacks.

Remaining at your disposal for any further information, we hope to welcome you on in the near future

Kind regards

Mariella Avino
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

The staffs were helpful in helping us making reservations and reccommended nice restaurants and how to get around easily.
The room amenities were amazing with choices of pillows and toiletries. Food was terrific and the waiter remembered our favorites. Very recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChrisNug
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Palazzo Avino during our honeymoon in October. It was a spectacular luxury hotel, and we loved the town of Ravello. We were greeted by lovely staff and a bottle of prosecco and chocolate dipped strawberries in our room. We dined at the more casual restaurant in the hotel which was really delicious and the breakfast each morning was insanely good. Our first morning we decided to splurge on the room service breakfast and it was well worth it-- probably one of the best mornings of our trip. Our room was a king sea view and I think we had one of the best rooms in the hotel... it was small, as European hotel rooms tend to be, but we had an amazing little balcony and each morning could open the doors and let the breeze in, or listen to the music drifting up from the patio at night. We loved coming back to the turn down at night, complete with hazelnut chocolates and a weather report for the following day. The pool was beautiful, rooftop hot tubs an after dinner treat, and views to gaze at for days and days. We felt really well taken care of by the staff on every moment and enjoyed the luxury and true relaxation, and hope to return if we find ourselves in Ravello again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yummybites
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed at the Palazzo Avino for our honeymoon in September. The hotel was lovely, the rooms were really comfortable and the swimming pool was great. The hotel staff were lovely, they all made an effort to remember your names and took the time to make sure everything was ok during our stay.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel!

Tip: Be sure to try a cocktail or two from the Martini Bar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JB_Traveller_00
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

had another very nice time this past august. the service is still very good and the views spectacular!
I was very ill during my stay this time and called for a doctor and they sent me a real quack!
almost died from an infection that he said was high blood pressure.
Lucky I left for Capri and another real doctor spotted the infection in my ears and got me on the road to recovery.
I was very disappointed that after 10 years they send me a doctor that was a schmuck!

Chris Caputo

Room Tip: suites are the best but very expensive
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I got married in Ravello in October and stayed at the Palazzo Avino for two nights. Everything about it is simply stunning, upon entry you see the grand marble floored foyer, the staff are helpful and non stuffy. There are chaise longues and seating overlooking the coastline next to a cosy bar on the ground floor. At night there is a piano player tinkling out tunes. I stayed in a junior suite and a deluxe room and they were very similar, although the suite was more spacious of course with a balcony. Each was stylishly decorated with antique style furniture, fresh white walls and linen and beautiful bathrooms. Prosecco and fruit were there on arrival in every room, and as an extra treat because we got married we had some chocolates and a nice note from the hotel staff thanking us for staying for our wedding. My sisters and I enjoyed the outdoor roof hot tubs and the indoor steam room and jacuzzis. Breakfast is the most lavish spread you will ever see, including cakes, hot bacon, sausages, eggs on demand and lots of fruit. To sum up this is an amazing hotel and if I could afford to, I would stay only in hotels like this for every holiday. At the risk of sounding gauche, it is like a hotel from movie. I would definitely recommend it as a special treat if you are getting married or having a honeymoon.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank emily84London
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here, along with my parents, in August 2012, so this is a belated but much deserved review. The management were kind enough to upgrade my mum and dad to the largest suites because it was her 50th birthday.

It truly is a special place. The view is no doubt what you will come for and it is worth every penny; it is quite stunning to open one's curtains in the morning and look down at this beautiful stretch of the Amalfi coast.

The quality of the rooms and service were very good. A nice, terraced pool area with great views and a good spa. They can also shuttle you down to their private "ocean club" at the sea: no beach but it will enable you to get into the ocean and is quite a cool place. Almost unusually for a luxury hotel of this sort, there was a genuine atmosphere in the outside bar in the evening.

What also makes this very worthwhile is the town of Ravello itself. Walking around at night is a real treat. Old cobbled streets, atmospheric lighting and real local families socialising in the squares and restaurants.

The restaurant in the hotel was a little disappointing, but then again I always find Michelin-starred Italian cooking more than a little bland. Thankfully this is not a problem as there are a host of great little local restaurants a short walk away in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheGreatRonando
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Belmond Hotel Caruso
Hotel Palumbo Palazzo Confalone
Villa San Michele
Villa San Michele
#1 of 21 in Ravello

Been to Palazzo Avino? Share your experiences!