“Great hotel, amazing view, perfect location if driving”

Ravello Art Hotel Marmorata, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We loved this hotel. It is a great location - right on the coastline between Amalfi and Minori. The hotel is beautiful with several patio's and a pool overlooking the Mediterranian Sea. Both the room and the bathroom were very good size . We had a room with double windows that opened right onto the sea in the bedroom and also by the jacuzzi tub. Great location if you're driving. Easy to get in and out and includes free parking. The breakfast was very nice and again, amazing views of the coast in a large open design room with large windows that give it a patio feel. We did have an issue getting the wireless internet to work but they do have a computer in the lobby you can use. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again if in the area. Easy drive to Amalfi, Maiori, Positano and even Sorrento without being right in the hustle bustle. After a long day, came back to the hotel and soaked in the jacuzzi tub with the windows open (they open directly onto the sea so no worries about privacy) with all lights out except the low level blue light above the jacuzzi. It was heaven!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 22, 2010

Beautiful location...our windows opened out to the Mediterranean where we could see the local fishermen and smell the salt. Room was clean and bath adequate although the shower was very slippery and hard to get in and out of. We ate bkfst in the large porch with lots of glass overlooking the sea .and dinner in the diningroom. Food was more than adequate. At night the area was very quiet.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2009

very old nautical inspired hotel - right on the bluffs of the amalfi.
friendly staff / gorgeous views

Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LeslieC6
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Marmorata is a privately owned hotel within the Best Western chain. We stayed there in September 2009 and enjoyed splendid weather, beautiful scenery, amazing water, great services and good food...

Although the rooms are probably not the best in this category (due to lack of space and somewhat dated furnishings), they make it up in full through cleanliness (our room was cleaned twice a day) and location (the view from the window was breathtaking and access to the sea took litteraly seconds).

The hotel is located below Ravello (between Minori and Amalfi, as you drive along the coast; 3 km from Minori, 6 km from Amalfi), right close to the sea. The hotel hangs on a cliff, with its own private beach (with sunbeds arranged on rocks and bathing area right next to the famous Marmorata falls, which are one of the mandatory pitstops in all coast cruises). Although somewhat far from Positano (approx. 24 km), driving there was a pleasure, as we loved to enjoy the views and also loved trying all the wonderful little restaurants along the way.

The hotel atmosphere is cosy and friendly, we felt right at home and appreciated the discreet attention of the staff. The only inconvenience was during Saturday night, when the Marmorata had a local wedding reception going on in the restaurant until the late hours of the night. We woke up a little startled by the fireworks (which although amazing, were not quite what we expected after a long trip to Capri island the previous day) and complained to the reception. As a result, we were offered lunch "on the house" the following day, which was the management's way of saying "we appologize for the inconvenience, but we hope this did not ruin your overall impression of our hotel." And in fact our impression did not change. We would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anywone (except for parents taking along toddlers). For small children it is not the best choice, given the distance to various local attractions and lack of sandy beaches nearby.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EmaUma
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We booked this hotel through recommendation. After reading some reviews on tripadvisor I was quite concerned and considered changing. I cannnot tell you how pleased I am that we didn't!! it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. And I consider myself a well travelled person. Firstly the views are indescribable. Wherever you are you are looking out to the ocean and it is a truly magnificent experience.
I really think that this hotel is all about its location.
I looked at many hotels on this coast and I think its impossible to get everything. And I really think that the pros outweigh the cons.
Firstly the location-as I ikeep mentioning!! There is nothing around you and because the hotel is so small you feel like you are in the middle of no-where.
I loved the bathing area. Small areas cut out of the cliff and you are just staring out to sea. They have these huge floats which are wonderful for lying on.- Great for me as I am a lousy swimmer!!! And they're were big enough for myself, husband and one of my daughters to lie on!! You need to get down pretty early to reserve a seating area- I know its a pain but its a must. The bathing area opens at 8.30 and you want to be down there dot on to get your spot!
So you could stay in Ravello but you wouldn't have the access or easiness of being able to jump straight into the ocean from your sunlounger!!
The food here was outstanding, both in the restaurant and by the bathing area. So fresh.
I would defintely advise you to eat in the hotel restaurant- at lunch time there is the option of buffet which was scrummy! Breakfast here is good but simple-very continental. Fresh rolls,croissants, ham cheese fruit, fabulous cake! The coffee isn't great, its out of a machine but I tell you when you're sitting there in the morning looking out at that ocean it isn't so terrrible!!!
Due to the number of stairs leading to the pool and sea I'm not sure this place is that suitable for people with very young children although there were a few staying at the hotel.
My kids are 11 & 9 and they loved staying here. There is a pool but you can't really swim in it as it isn't that deep or big.- It didn't put my girls of at all though.
People have mentioned the rooms, well yes they aren't huge and the lighting isn't great in the bathrooms but they were spotless and we had clean sheets everyday. They also do a great laundry service which we discovered by accident- I filled up there laundry bag with our dirty washing and forgot to put it in the wardrobe and it was taken away and washed and dried beautifully. Back the next day-so easy I carried on with the service and sometimes it came back the same day!!
The staff were lovely.I was a little worried as previous reviews had not been so nice about them, I could see where they were coming from but I think its an Italian thing!! The guy running the restaurant ( I'm sure the owner ) takes a few days to warm up but I can see why he'd be a bit miffed- he's running the restaurant in the heat with a suit on and his wife is swanning around all day chatting to her friends!!-We got the impression some of their friends were staying at the hotel-None of them over friendly but it gave my husband and I something to have a laugh about everyday!!
The people at reception were really helpful. One day my daughter had earache and they organised for their shuttle bus to take us to Minori where there was a Paediatric doctor. They even insisted one of the girls from reception come with me!!
So to end, would I go back?-I'm already planning my next visit!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Misty09
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed here for a week as part of our honeymoon during July '09. Hotel Marmorata is in a beautiful location on the cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean. It is however, closer to Amalfi rather than Ravello - like some of the other reviewees have noted. While we had a nice stay and found the location fair for travel to other locations along the coast, I disagree with the 4-star rating. The hotel's nautical theme gives it a rather dated feel.

When we arrived, we were shown to our room - not so much as a flower on a pillow or bottle of water was left for our 'special' honeymoon stay.. this caused immediate disappointment given our experiences elsewhere during our honeymoon. We were also disappointed with the size of our room and mentioned this to staff. No alternative was offered unless we paid a considerable supplement per night. This response from staff was consistent with our experiences for the remainder of our stay. It is a family run business and - for most of the time - we got the impresssion that they didn't care enough about their guests' experience/enjoyment of their stay. Everything was a bit functional. They have no problem sorting out a timetable for the buses but don't seem to care that you feel special during your stay.

The room, while small, was clean with a comfortable bed and air conditioning.We put away some of the smaller furniture into the empty wardrobe to make some space for our two cases. On two occasions during our week long stay, we arrived back to the hotel late in the evening to find our bed had been changed. However the sheets felt damp. We had to get the bed re-made both times and felt the staff did not deal with the situation promptly enough. While this may be excusable on one occasion, we feel that for this to happen twice was poor. Also, the hotel did not redeem itself in the manner in which the issue was dealt with - it seemed like we had caused them bother and no apology was given! The bathroom was very small and poorly lit - not great when staying for a week.

A positive was the lovely seaview and sundeck on the rocks by the sea. Breakfast was also very good.

Though probably well priced for the Amalfi coast area, I would not recommend this hotel as it did not provide for us a high enough standard of service - especially as it was our honeymoon. I reckon the hotel is a 4-star because of its location and view only which isn't always enough.

What we liked best was the location and its beautiful views. There is a bus stop at the end of the hotel drive which makes onward travel and exploration very easy. What we liked least was the functional level of service offered by the staff and the small rooms. Some attention to detail for couples staying for their honeymoon would also help.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolePatrick
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I stayed here with my boyfriend and his family for a wedding taking place in Villa Cimbrone. Hotel Marmorata is in a beautiful location set into the cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean although I would say that this is closer to Amalfi rather than Ravello.
Whilst we had a lovely stay, I’m not 100% sure that I agree with the 4-star rating for the hotel. The hotel décor has a nautical theme which is quite nice, however it does give it a rather dated feel. The rooms look like they could do with some new paint and fittings and are not really large – however we were lucky enough to have a sea-view room which was stunning. The bathroom was a big let-down for me, it was small and very poorly lit (not ideal when trying to get ready for a wedding!). In addition, the shower was small and was very dated – to the point that it leaked onto the bathroom floor. In addition, the water temperature seemed to have a mind of it’s own – the bathroom just wasn’t the kind of standard I expect of a 3-star hotel never mind a 4-star, however the rooms were all clean with comfortable beds and good air conditioning.
There were however more good points about the hotel than bad though. The ‘sundeck’ is a little bit of paradise! It gives a wonderful feeling of privacy as it is laid out on different rock jutting out of the cliff, it’s peaceful with beautiful views. In addition, the hotel cordon off an area of the sea where you can swim and float quite happily – for the more adventurous there’s nothing to stop you swimming outside of this area. There’s also a warmer saline pool if the sea isn’t for you. You can get drinks and lunch out here without leaving the comfort of your sunbed.
If you have the fun of having a car then the hotel does have parking - I would definitely let the hotel staff park it for you though!!! There are a lot of slopes and it's not worth the trauma of trying to do it yourself!!
Breakfast was nice and simple, most tastes were provided for and was a leisurely affair which is what you need on holiday. We only had dinner here one evening but the food was fresh and cooked beautifully.
The staff were lovely and very helpful all throughout the hotel and tried to help where possible – whether this was opening the bar late in the evening or trying to find a spare adapter plug.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel, especially if you could find a deal offering more reasonable prices than their standard rates. I suspect the reason this hotel is a 4-star is largely down to it’s location and view which isn't always enough.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ravello
Hotel Palumbo Palazzo Confalone
#1 of 21 in Ravello
Hotel Margherita
Hotel Margherita
#2 of 20 in Praiano

Been to Ravello Art Hotel Marmorata, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!