“Magical wedding and stay at Villa Cimbrone”

Villa Cimbrone Hotel
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We fell in love with the Villa Cimbrone on a walking holiday 2 years ago. We stumbled into the garden after a swaty walk up from Amalfi, and saw them setting up for someone else's wedding. this sowed the seed for our wedding plans in May this year.
The team at the Villa, especially Marie Antonetta was very helpful in teh 2 years leading up to the wedding with good email communication.
I also used a brilliant couple who are wedding organisers in the region called La Calla. Marianna and Laura were fantastic in helping us arrange everything by email before the big day. I would really recommend people use them as it eased the stress by 99% and we were in safe hands! Priest, Music, flowers, hairdresser and makeup artist were all sorted...with one of them accomanying me to translate as neither of us are fluent in Italian.They also delt with all the offical paperwork before, so all we had to do was arrive a week before and finalise a few things.
We ate our wedding meal a few days before, and had great help from Antonio the head wine waiter to choose which wines to have at the wedding.
It made us realise that 5 courses were not needed, as we had been lead to believe from trip advisor chatrooms. In the end we had to ask the chef to make each course smaller so people could enjoy themselves. To anyone thinking of having a wedding dinner there -4 courses is more than adequate.
We stayed at the Villa Cimbrone for the night before the wedding until the 2nd day of our honeymooon. The hotel is 1st class. Nothing was too much trouble, and our stay seemed effortless.
Some of the ladies behind the scenes helped Iron my wedding dress on the day of the wedding. Their kindness will always stay with me..
Our room was amazing, but we had splashed out on the suite Camilla!
we got back to our room on the wedding night to find some of our wedding flowers had been moved in along with a bottle of bubbly on ice for us!
On the day our wedding was magical. The tearoom area in the garden was festooned with flowers and all the guests had a fabulous time.
The gardens are stunningly beautiful, so we have great pictures to show for our day. Post wedding cocktails and 'nibbles' in the garden were all included in the service....nibbles included a whole parmesan cheese, a whole leg of parma ham carved on request, and tray after tray of hot and cold yummy finger food.....all before a fantastic 5 course meal!!!
The wine was delicious and the guests drank with gusto.
The meal seemed unrushed with time between each course.
Sadly I was too busy dancing after the cake cutting to get to eat any of the cake, but apparently it was delicious ...and boozy!
The only sadness was it was all over at midnight. This is understandable as there are other guests in the hotel, but to all brides and grooms to be -the day goes in a flash!
We have the most magical memories of our time with the the team at the Villa Cimbrone. I cannot recommend them enough to anyone considering getting married in such a stunning place.
If you donet believe us you can see the photos of the day at:
www.sorchahollowayphotography.com and go to my images. You will see a photo of a couple with on a balcony with the sea behind us...Imogen & George ...thats us. There are over 400 pics to look at so I would skim through if I was you, but I think you will see that is was the most amazing day for us.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Imogen_8

Reviewed May 3, 2009

We spent two very pleasant days at Villa Cimbrone. We loved Ravello, especially a great hike through the Valle de Ferriera. The Villa is a very special property, it's a 15 minute vigorous hike from the town square, but worth the walk. The public rooms are amazing, and the gardens beautiful. Our room was beautiful with a great modern bath. Service was excellent. My only complaint was that our "Deluxe Sea View" room, had a view that was mostly of the dining room roof. At 660E a night (rack rate, high season. slightly discounted for our off season visit), that seemed unreasonable. Look at the photo I've attached and judge for yourself.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NJsuperdad
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We were married in the town hall in Ravello on a beautiful blue and sunny day in September. We walked from the town hall to the Villa Cimbrone loving every step. Brilliant views a gorgeous town and then up the steps and into paradise. The website does not do the villa justice. We had our very small reception on the platform overlooking the sea. The food was exquisite, the wait staff unobtrusive. The view from every angle in the gardens is amazing. We stayed 3 magical nights in a suite with a great view. We loved the fact that our room seemed from another era. No glitz, no spa just timeless. We can probably never afford to stay there again- but we will try! Everything, the pool the room, the Ravello musical festival, the great breakfasts and especially our wedding could not have been better.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2008

This is a beautiful hotel, which you access by climbing several hundred steps from the car park below. Fine for the young and fit, but my elderly husband nearly gave up en route.

The staff are excellent, and the views from our room were the best we had anywhere.

However, the food was really grim. We were the only people eating in the restaurant that evening, and we were not surprised. It all sounds fine, but the problem is that it is extraordinarily fussy without producing simple things properly. Suckling pig was soft, not crisp, potatoes were cold, soup appeared to have been made without stock and was tasteless - not a single course was attractive or really edible. At breakfast (with about 7 people eating) they ran out of croissants, tea was made with hot and not boiling water, toast was either burned or untoasted - the list goes on.

So, if you're young and fit and rich, stay there - but eat somewhere, anywhere, else.

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank Marilyn47
Reviewed April 23, 2008

My sister and I stayed and attended my friends wedding at the Villa Cimbrone in April. I cannot stress how beautiful the whole place is. We loved Ravello but what made our trip so special was staying at the Villa Cimbrone. Our room (24 ) had beautiful views of the coast during the day but quite magical ones at night. The staff were fantastic and the gardens you could spend hours wandering around. I cannot wait to return soon to this beautiful part of the world, and stay at this very special hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank JandMF
Reviewed January 2, 2008

My husband and I were married in the Ravello town hall, and hosted a small reception at the Villa Cimbrone. Breathtaking, beautiful, old world grace, above and beyond all expectations - I cannot find enough words to describe the property, the buildings, the views and the gardens. This is the exact picture I had in my mind of what the Amalfi Coast would be - absolutely stunning. Chances are that the photos in your tour book are actually taken from the villa's property.

The staff was amazing, the food was impeccable and the service was distinguished and unobtrusive. I did very little planning for the wedding and yet the whole evening came together effortlessly and was perfectly elegant.

Our group stayed in the neighboring town of Amalfi, not at the Villa Cimbrone. It would have been lovely to spend a night or two at the villa. However, Ravello is somewhat isolated and very quiet at night - ultimately, since we had planned a very active trip, I preferred staying in Amalfi for the convenience of exploring the rest of the coast.

My husband and I promised that we would be back for an anniversary trip - it started at our ten year anniversary, but has turned into our five year just because we can't wait to go again (we rarely visit the same place twice, so this is our highest compliment). This time around, we will plan a more relaxing pace and spend a few nights at the villa.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank klbz
Reviewed June 9, 2007

Paradise on the edge of the world. Small Intimate, Romantic. Superb food. We had a suite with a balcony with views that you thought not possible. You almost feel you are in your own private Villa and grounds. Ravello is special. However we stayed 4 nights, which we felt was 2 nights to long, there was nothing wrong, but it is like eating to many chocolates. the balcony of eternity is something else.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled as a couple