“The heart of Almalfi - we will definatley return!”
Review of Villa Amore

and 1 more site!
Villa Amore
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Ravello
London, United Kingdom
“The heart of Almalfi - we will definatley return!”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My mother and I stayed here and were pleasantly surprised. This Pensione is located between a convent and a lemon grove. Although there is certainly more than a few steps to reach Villa Amore (it only took just under 10mins walking from the main square), boy is it worth it! All you hear are the birds and wildlife, it is truly peaceful and very quiet. The views which overlook Minori and Maori plus further out to the mountains and sea beyond are crystal clear and absoloutley stunning. The villa offers private balconies or you can sit on the relaxing sun loungers in the communal grassy garden. We brought our own wine up, bought from the wine shop off the main square and revelled in the thoughts that this place is seriously a hidden secret. The steps up are not as bad as you think. They are not steep. Yes they do go up, winding through on a gradual slant which enables you to overlook the towns farms and lemon groves. The steps are set wide apart so every second step you take you go up one. There is a ramp all the way along aswell to make it easier for wheelie bags or wheel chairs.. They do offer porterage if you need it. Rest assured my Mother and I are not fit and we could cope, coming up from the car park with a few huffs and puffs but with no stopping needed.

The room itself was big, clean and comfortably basic. It is a 'Pensione' afterall. We had a kingsize bed, a single bed, wardrobe, desk, bedside tables with lamps. Big double doors which open out onto the balcony, then wow, once you do you just want to be outside. Ensuite was large with bath and handheld shower, water pressure was fantastic and hot. Spotless linen and towels. Decor was totally outdated, 1970's era, light brown, mismatched. Irrelevant if you're spending your time having an afternoon nap or outside which I guarantee is where you will want to be once you get up here. Villa Cimbrone, the most luxurious villa in Ravello is only a further 2min walk further on with the exact the same views!

We were on a budget and we think the restaurant was value for money. Not Michelin star obviously but ten thousand times better than your big retail restaurant chains. Lots to choose from on the menu with homemade pastas, big portions (forget the 'secondi' portion, you won't need it!), homemade sauces and deserts - try the lemon desert! Local wine too. We requested only a glass of wine each with dinner but the waiter brought us a brand new full bottle, he said you only pay for what you drink out of the bottle as it's based on literage. He was relaxed about the whole thing. We had half a bottle of wine, two courses each, shared a desert and a bottle of water for Euro45. From any table you can soak up the views and the atmosphere of being in rural Italy.. it is amazing.

Clearly this place is family run- with the grand daughter who was bubbly and very welcoming who greeted us on arrival and showed us to our room, the fathers serving in the restaurant and the mothers looking after the kitchen and the rooms. A personal service where nothing was too much to ask for. Typical Italian hospitality. It added to the feel of the whole Italian experience.

Parking: Park below the main square, it's the closest to the Villa Amore. The cost is Euro20 per day but the Villa Amore will give you a Euro5 discount. Well worth it as it is a secure car park.

The location is one of the very best I have stayed in and that is saying alot as I travel with work ALL the time. I will be going back because frankly it's a hidden little gem!

Easy directions: From the main square, head towards the church steps. Then look to your right & you'll see a pizzaria. Head up that street for literally 50metres. You'll reach a fork in the road. On your right hand side you'll reach 'Trinita', simply follow this street up until you reach the villa. It is signposted.

Room Tip: Room 10 - balcony plus access to communal garden.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Adventure1976

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
North Queensland
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The view is to die for, dinner is fabulous, the price extremely reasonable. 6 of us stayed for a week in May as part of our month in Italy. We had a fabulous time - lots of trips to various places along the coast as well as Pompeii and Napoli. We attended a limoncella making class, a cooking class at Villa Maria, a trip to a ceramic factory and to a wood inlay factory. On two days we hiked: one was a 6 hour hike down to Amalfi and back up, the other a 4 hour hike down to Minori and back. The hike back from Amalfi took us past a fabulous waterfall, some ruins, picturesque countryside, mules doing roadwork and towns which would otherwise be inaccessible. Much has been said in other reviews about the stairs which have to be climbed for access. I am an exerciser and loved the stairs. The 140 stairs into the VIlla were fine though I was glad that we had a porter to bring our bags. In the mornings I would descend the 800 stairs to the main road and come back up again - for fun! So the amount of walking didn't faze me at all, in fact I thought it was great cause then I could eat more of the delicious cuisine.
Ravello is a great place. We visited loads of towns along the Amalfi coast and it was the best place to stay. Amalfi is crowded, Minori doesn't have much apart from de Riso Patisserie which is out of this world (have the ricotta and pear tart), Sorrento is big and impersonal and Positano was well over rated. Ravello was friendly, interesting and homely.The Piazza is lovely and we spent lots of time there socialising. The best coffee is at Cafe Klingsor, where all the locals go. We made friends with lots of locals - we even offered rooms in our homes in Australia to more than one of the locals.
The rooms at Villa Amore are basic. I have found over the years that the pillows are a good indicator of how many stars a hotel has: well take your own pillow if you have neck issues as the pillows are like bricks. But seriously, how long do you spend in your room? We slept in ours and that was it. The rest of the time we left straight after breakfast and got back in time to go straight to dinner. Only after a great dinner, which included wine, would we go back to our room. Breakfast was basic: croissants and fruit, but seriously for the price we paid, it was fine.
Anna, Bruno and Salvatore made us feel very welcome. The villa has a very friendly atmosphere and will hold special memories for me as the place I had a really fun time.

Room Tip: Room 1 is definitely the best
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank MissMNorthQueensland
nyc
Reviewed May 26, 2011

The room we had was not fancy but very comfortable and clean. The staff was welcoming, professional, charming and very efficient. We had million dollar views for a mere 100 Euros per night. The food is good but I do suggest having at least one lunch from the snack menu at Villa Maria across the way. We'll never forget our stay there and would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Shoot for room #1.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bllgo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Good value budget hotel, especially by Ravello standards, in a tranquil street at the top of the village. Spacious clean room with comfy bed and balcony, although the bathroom was a little cramped. Breakfast is served on a sunny terrace with stunning views over the Amalfi coast - also nice to sit out in the evening. I recommend paying for the porter to transport your bags, as it's a fairly steep climb from the main square!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank thomas9717
Oxford United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Clean rooms, warm caring service, excellent food, absolute peace and spectacular views. If you don't like walking and are seeking an impersonal international hotel then this gem is not for you. But if you are looking for a genuinely Italian experience in a spectacularly beautiful location then don't hesitate. I have stayed at the hotel twice already and this year
I will be visiting again. Need I say more!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artist80
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My wife and I have been in the travel business for over thirty years. I traveled to Ravello with my daughter and teenage grandson. We had two rooms at the Villa Amore. Except for the view, which is to die for, I would never recommend or return to this hotel. We checked into the hotel on a Monday and parked the car in a parking lot as directed by the hotel. The walk to the hotel involves many, many steps up hill. The location of the hotel is truly breathtaking. BUT, BUT both rooms were poorly cleaned and both rooms had garbage from former clients in the shower and bathroom. We stayed only one night. My daughter woke up with terrible bites (76) all over her body. They appeared to be bedbug bites. We had to go to a hospital in Rome the next day for treatment. Then, when we checked out of the hotel Villa Amore Tuesday morning and went back to the parking lot to get our car, it had been towed away. The hotel had failed to tell us when they directed us to the parking lot on Monday that we had to be out of the parking lot by 6am the next day, Tuesday, because there is an open air market in the parking lot every Tuesday. Towing cost me 100 euros. Fine cost me 38.50 euros. That does not count the time wasted in getting the car out of the towing garage which was about a third of the way down the hill toward Amalfi. No, Sir. This is a hotel to stay away from. It apparently is owned by two very elderly frail ladies who have done nothing in years to upgradethe place and who have lost all supervision of the cleanliness. The restaurant, by the way, is independent of the hotel and is excellent. Certainly dine here. Great staff, fabulous views. But in no way stay in any bed here unless you bring insect spray or are prepared for hospital and dermatologist bills. And above all, watch out for the parking.

The Villa Cimbrone, very nearby is definitely worth a visit. There is a fabulous hotel here on the Villa grounds but it will cost you a lot to stay. If you can afford it, this is the place to stay. But, as I said, it is in the expensive category.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank NJMaggie
Union, New Jersey
Reviewed June 11, 2010

This hotel captures a beautiful view of the coast. Just gorgeous, we could have sat for hours just enjoying the scenery. Our room had a small terrace with table and chairs that look out on the coast, but just a few steps away you could go into the little garden which looks out on the same amazing views. The garden also has little tables and chairs. You can read or sun and just relax with something grand to look at all the while the birds are singing and the sound of the children playing nearby. The owner was very helpful to lend me a brand new hair dryer as I didn't bring one. The room, as others have said, is basic. No, tv, which is really fine because if you don't speak italian you can't understand much anyway. Bring a book. Also, as said, no AC, which was fine for us because the 2 days were very comfortable. It has always been a little on the cooler side in Ravello, bring a sweater, due to the elevation of the town. The restaurant is very nice with also the same beautiful views of the coast. Great sun in the morning while you eat the basic continental breakfast, but linger, who cares the view is so great! The restaurant staff is very accomodating and pleasant and everyone at this hotel seemed to really enjoy what they do. I would definately recommend this property. The value of 100 Euro, for a nice room in Ravello, is excellent. And without hesitation I would recommend the restaurant to all! My husband and I only take one carry-on bag each, with wheels, so we were fine with the walk uphill on the incline. I mean you're not climbing Mt. Everest but you can get out of breath. There are probably porters you can pay at the entrance to the town to take luggage up for you, check with the hotel beforehand. I really love Ravello, especially early in the morning before the tourist crowds come and in the evening after they go, there's a certain calm and peaceful feeling in this town. Go and stay at Villa Amore unless you need fancy surroundings and enjoy, walk around Ravello, take pictures, smell the jasmine in bloom cascading down an old stone wall. We have been to Ravello 3 times now and I prefer this property to the other 2, I won't name names :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple