“Seven Days of Sun, Fun, Good Food and not so good drink.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Med Kamarina

Club Med Kamarina
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Ragusa
Attard, Malta
“Seven Days of Sun, Fun, Good Food and not so good drink.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my first long holiday in a couple of years. We went as a group of 34 ranging from adults to kids to adolescents. Only my wife and myself were not accompanied. That notwithstanding the week in Kamarina was an excellent way to unwind and de-stress.
Over the week the younger set kept themselves well occupied with all kinds of activities so the adults had all the peace they would wish for.
The accommodation was basic but clean, ac functioned well and service was excellent. Mobile phone reception was problematic and wi-fi access limited to the area around the central plaza - The Agora. I guess being on holiday one does not need constant access.
Facilities in the resort are excellent although some need up grading. The food served - breakfast, lunch and dinner - was always of an excellent quality especially the food in the Vulcano' restaurant.
One serious complaint from all in our group was the wine offered. We simply cannot understand how in a Sicilian resort the wine offered during meals was very much sub-standard and this as opposed to the soft drinks (Coca Cola products free flowing) and Illy Coffee from the Agora Bar. Another minor minus was the spirits served and used in the AGora bar. These were obviously non-branded ( apart from the Martini) but surely the management can source quality non -branded spirits without pinching their bottom line.

All in all a great holiday well worth the expense.

Room Tip: Try and get a room which has a washing line hanger. This comes in handy especially if you have kids...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

My first day here and Im not really enjoying it. Hurt my foot badly by treading on a door stopper that lost its rubber sleeve many aeons ago. Tried to get medical help, any help at all, and all I was offered was ice and water by the resident nurse.If i didnt have any strong painkiller myself, I would not have been able to walk.

But the place is stuck in the 70's with very little investment done. There is mould in the soffit partitions in the rooms. There are benches with nasty pieces of metal sticking out from them in the Table Tennis area. The Table Tennis tables themselves have torn nets.

The staff, in contrast, work very hard. I mean the staff at the main bar, who are under seige all the time. I salute them. However the GO's are there more to be seen and preen than anything else. Chosen for looks, most of them are vacous eyed youths.

The drinks seem to be out of a factory that manufactures cheap imitations of good brands. Their tase is much the same. Sugared Alcohol with strange chemical taste. Seems that they use the same suppliers like Lidl. Their juices just get by EU regulations regarding sugar and concentrate content.

I actually met the general manager whilst looking for someone to help me medicate my foot, and he told me he only takes care of the hotel, not the village. Sorry, but the word haughty idiot comes to mind.

To be fair, its a day and night's impression. We will see how the rest of the week progersses, but Club Med had better get nits act together here. This place would do justice to a 1970's Butlins. Club Med has to work hard to disopel my initial impression.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MDebono
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here in August 2012 with my wife and two kids, aged 11 and 7.

Good place if you have kids - the staff are very good and work ever so hard.

Nice food, but the main Dune restaurant is very poorly ventilated - just a little more thought in its design could have made it a much more pleasant place to dine. As it is, unless you sit in the corridoor part of the restaurant which has opening windows on both sides, or in the outside part, you will cook along with the food that's being served.

Excellent swimming pool - perhaps the best I've ever seen in terms of its practicality - massive and with all different depths, so swimmers of varying levels can enjoy the pool together.

Rooms a bit grubby. No bidet in any part of the resort, not even the hotel. Sewage system needs renovation - many manholes up, presumablly to aid flow, but not good enough - faint whiff of sewers seemed ever present in our room.

Excellent entertainment at night, and we're not really big on this kind of thing.

Nice class of person seems to go here - no riff raff.

All in all, 6.5/10.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tony d
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Kamarina, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Kamarina Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see that you and your family had a good time and that you enjoyed our staff dedication, our facilities especially the swimming pool and the night entertainment.
On a different note, we would like to thank you for your comments about the rooms and the Restaurant. It is only with constructive criticism such as yours that Club Med will be able to monitor and improve the standard of facilities offered in all its Resorts.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our Resorts.

Kind Regards,

Your Club Med UK Team.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I've been to 3 Club Meds twice to Kamarina but felt I should write a review after reading recent posts.
The first time I went to Kamarina it was not fully all-inclusive, you had to pay for drinks at the bar with pre-paid tickets. I prefered this as it was easier to get served and the staff we're far more courteous. In fact it was a much better experience.
Last time was different, I received regular bollockings from bar staff for asking for a round (so my wife and friends could stay at the table) which I've never experienced at any other all inclusive venues. Club Meds are not cheap holiday's so there's no real need to treat customers like this.
The staff at the kids club are a bit inexperienced. The GO's seemed to be picked for looks rather than skills and we felt uneasy leaving our 3 year old daughter there. On her first day we found her woundering around the pool looking for us as she had managed to escape from the nursery. We took her out for the rest of the holiday (without refund) as we had no confidence in the staff.
The night time entertainment aint great. I don't mind it being French based but theres only so many lip synced mime shows I can watch. I find them a bit patronising to be honest and there's very little else on other than hanging round the main bar with the rude staff.
The food is OK. We liked the restaurant by the beach. They used to have a marquee on the beach serving wood fired pizza's, sadly gone on our last visit.
The sports are good though. Every day I played water polo, football and clay court tennis and there were many other good activities. If you don't use the facilities your wasting your money going to any Club Med.
While we were there we visited Ragusa and Vittoria. Both stunning places and well worth the trip by local bus (or on one of the tours if you want to pay more). I had one of the best lunches in Ragusa marina (Vongole with local Sicilian Merlot).
As we were leaving (waiting for our transfer) the smarmy General Manager came up to us and suggested that we would prefer Club Med in Turkey (because of the rows with the barmen). I was in a good mood so did'nt thump him.
I have not been to a Club Med since.

Room Tip: The apartments are better than the Villas
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank markjosephmorris
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I would strongly recommend to avoid this resort until it gets fully renovated. Here is my experience.

I stayed at the Kamarina village with a friend, my sister and her husband as well as their kids. The main reason for going there is that children are taken care of by the kids club from a very young age up until 17 years of age, happy days! But unfortunately, we were not able to travel on one of the big "travel days" and instead arrived on a Sunday. The resort sent a driver with a mini-van to pick us up. The mini-van had no air conditioning which made the 1.5 hours ride from Catania airport to the Club Med very painful. When we eventually arrived at the reception of the hotel, a rather unfriendly young woman welcomed us and gave us the key to our rooms. My sister was very annoyed as her husband called two weeks earlier in order to specifically request a room on the 3rd floor but the staff forgot and the only excuse they could provide was because we did not send a follow up e-mail. Also note that there is an internet connection in limited areas of the resort for 20 EUR for the whole stay, although the speed is very slow. When we then arrived to the rooms through hallways that needed a new layer of paint very badly, I had a very big disappointment: for a price of nearly 2000$ per week, I was expecting nice cosy rooms. Instead, the key lock, old style one, was not working properly and the room looked like a hospital. The cleanliness was very debatable (toilet bowl smelling of dried urine, stains everywhere on the furniture, dead spider in the spare blanket, rusted seat in the shower, clogged shower drain, etc). Also, within the hotel area, all carpets are stained and the roof garden bar as no air conditioning; temperatures can easily rise to and above 40°C/104°F. A major downside of the hotel is, that not only it is more expensive than the village/bungalows area, but it is very close to the open air night club so do not expect to be able to sleep early. Now, regarding the food, I was again very disappointed. It has the mere quality of an office canteen and all restaurants are the same.

The only positive I could really find is that hotel beach, separate from the main beach, is much quieter, which is perfect for people seeking a relaxing time by the sea. Also, the bus boys in the restaurants are very efficient and nice to customer and a mere 'thank you' each time they take care of your plates will make their day.

In other words, this resort needs serious renovations, not only in terms of the structure but also the amenities (e.g. the safe still works with a key). I would therefore not recommend going there until they completely renovate the full site, restaurants included (e.g. the main one "Dune" has no air con and temperature easily reaches 35°C/95°F at night).

Room Tip: Bungalows are quieter than the hotel as they are located farther from the open air night club.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fabrizio45
Pembroke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

When you have 3 kids for 11 months and 3 weeks of the year to take care of, a week at Kamarina with the kids its heaven at Kamarina.Kids restaurant,kids pool, child minders,all inclusive drinks,food all day,wine,soft drinks,spirits at the bar all inclusive the pools are massive the rooms very comfortable with good space all with ac for a family holiday with kids its one resort to go.The staff very friendly with parents and kids.If you arrive early in the morning you have to wait till the room is cleaned .The private beach is very clean and very nice.Thank you all at Kamarina.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Surrey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

After 42 reviews, this is the hardest one to write simply because I am struggling to find positive things to say.

Kamarina is our 2nd Club Med holiday as a family (We absolutely LOVED Bin Tan last summer and still recommend it; we've done Lindeman as a couple, and I've done Bali and Noumea as a single person) so we are well versed in Club Med and LOVE IT - sadly, Kamarina let us down badly on pretty much every single thing that is Club Med.

I even have the CLub Med Summer 2012 Brochure open to page 104 as I write this, to ensure we didn't misunderstand the offering as what we got when we arrived was so different to the brochure and our Club Med expectations.

We are home, half way thru our vacation. For the first time EVER, we decided as a family to come home early. Not one of us was enjoying the atmosphere or were relaxed as we tried to navigate our way thru each day. Waking up thinking ‘oh no, not more of the same’ was shocking.

I have attempted to write this review several times, but each time I end up writing a novel or worse, whinging, and that's not what tripadvisor reviews are about.

Suffice to say, if you speak fluent Italian and/or French you will fit in very well with the GO's and the majority of GMs'.

If you don't, you will need to work things out for yourself. The GO's are unfriendly and unhelpful. We were ignored at meal times while sharing tables, at the bar when trying to order, and at reception.

If you love to sit literally IN THE SUN with very little shade to escape the heat, you will love Kamarina. Small umbrella's that barely shade two sun chairs is about all the cover you are able to get by the pool and we were chasing the shade most of the time. Mind you watching the way some families baked themselves and their kids, maybe we are the odd ones out hehehehehe (or maybe Australians’ really are better educated about care in the sun but that’s another blog)

There are so few places to sit and relax in comfort. The bar area is full of people smoking. The outdoor area of the bar offers some shade, but again, people are smoking all around you. We did find one corner in shade at the back of the bar, but we think it was actually for the GO's to come for their smoke and drink breaks.

Our arrival was absolutely NOT a Club Med one. We were met by one lady who gave us a white envelope with our names on it. A young man then drove us to our room and said ‘late dinner in dining room’ and left. We had no idea where the dining room was, so simply followed the noise. We found the bar. Not one GO was able to understand we had just arrived and wanted to know where supper was being served. Eventually a GO overheard us and said ‘follow me’ but only after he finished his cigarette and drink. The supper was very obviously left over’s from dinner in both presentation and freshness.

There was a black and white photo copied brochure in the envelope we were given on our arrival and silly ‘ribbons’ we were told to wear on our wrist at all times so the GO’s knew we were from the Club. We took such pleasure in removing these when we left :)

The room was as basic as you could get.

Two single beds pushed together to make a double; the toilet rolls were perched on a towel rail in lieu of a toilet roll dispenser; air conditioning that turned itself off/on at regular intervals (nothing to do with thermostat) and safes with keys as opposed to electronic codes. The TV was perched precariously on the wall high above a bed; and the locks on the doors would have been a nightmare to open in an emergency. There was no balcony, only a small window so you were literally in a box.

Little things annoyed us, then made us laugh:
The pool is open from 8am – 8pm but the life guards are only there from 10am – 6pm; the place where you get your towels is at the top of the pool area so get them before you walk down to the pool, but it is only open from 9am-1.30pm and again from 4.30pm – 7pm.
The pool is supposedly the largest in Europe, and it is big. Either end is shallow for the kids (waist height on an average adult) and the centre is deep. There are 3 swimming lanes which is a great idea. Water aerobics was lots of fun, and the only obvious activity as the music boomed across the pool.

All mini clubs are closed on Friday.

The ‘bar snacks’ are the same every day; crisps, cubed cheese, olives and cubed ham served right in the sun around 11am.

The hors d'oeurves served at 7pm were also the same every night; crisps, cubed cheese, olives, cubed ham and the charming Chef Stephen hand making bruchetta.

The nightly entertainment started around 7pm at the bar in Italian. it was only by observation and copying did we know what was going on.

When my husband went to book his golf package that had been prepaid, he was told to come back at 9pm when the Golf GO would be back... we went back at 9pm and told he's still at the bar, and might be back at 10pm ... we went back... still not there. Golf was booked the next morning.

Once he realized the temperature was only going to get hotter he decided to cancel and was given a form in French in complete and send into head office. When he explained he didn't speak/read French, the receptionist just nodded and repeated to send it to Club Med head office as the booking was done with them.

I wanted to enjoy some spa treatments but the spa menu was offered in French and Italian, so I decided to wait til I returned home. How hard is it to have the right language brochures in the room waiting for guests when you have to complete that information when booking the holiday?

Our daughter wanted to go to Mini Club.... all in French :( We met one family who said their 3 kids spent 2 hours at the Mini Club and simply walked out to find them as they were having such a horrid time trying to understand and be understood. We lived in Japan for 3 years before moving to the UK and know exactly what it's like to be a non-native speaker and we managed just fine. The Japanese are courteous and try very hard to understand. We found the GO's at Kamarina the absolute opposite. They simply said ‘no English’ and moved onto another guest. Ordering drinks at the bar was so difficult I drank pineapple juice or Prosecco all week hehehehehehe

When we asked about leaving early, not one person at reception asked why ...... and it took nearly two days for the traffic manager to be at his desk for us to complete the transaction.
Apparently the paperwork was in a file but no one at the desk bothered to look, it was easier to be told 'come back later'

If you have a little one in a pram, please note that the 'narrow cobbled stoned streets' that look so pretty in the brochures are thwart with danger! Your child will be bounced for quite a distance (don't attempt to walk them just after eating or they are sure to be sick). Also only pack flat shoes, as high heels will cause you a major injury and you do not want to be visiting the infirmary.

The Club offers very little shaded respite and we found ourselves in our room between lunch and 4pm every day. Bin Tan was just as hot but there were so many lovely nooks and crannies to sit in the shade and still feel part of what was going on; the bar under the trees on the beach, the open planned bar/entertainment area; balconies on your room!

WIFI – yes yes, we were on holidays however, most people do like to stay connected via their FB pages, or emails; and some still need to be ‘in touch’ with the office. WIFI is available at Karmarina for a fee, and is only available near the bar and in some areas around the pool. We could not access the WIFI from our room.

When we left, we met another family who were equally pleased to be going home (have you ever known families to be so happy to leave a holiday?????????) It was their first Club Med holiday and they vowed never to do one again. I hope we changed their mind with our past experiences :)

My husband has never posted a review on tripadvisor but he's going to for this as he feels so strongly about the holiday.

I am going to write to Club Med as I truly believe the concept of Club Med works, and feel that Kamarina needs a complete overhaul, not just the amenities (the room was so basic it was scary) but the GO's too.

The cultural delights of Sicily will have to wait for us for another vacation ...............

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank aussiemama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ragusa
Artemisia Resort
Grande Albergo Alfeo
#7 of 75 in Syracuse
Relais Parco Cavalonga
#9 of 38 in Ragusa

Been to Club Med Kamarina? Share your experiences!