“Michelin star treat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Locanda Don Serafino Ristorante

Locanda Don Serafino Ristorante
Ranked #50 of 345 Restaurants in Ragusa
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The scenery is Ibla, Ragusa's historic centre, rich in churches and mansions in the late Sicilian baroque style, and in narrow and charming lanes some of which can be travelled over only on foot. Antonio and Giuseppe La Rosa's restaurant is situated right in the heart of Baroque, in the former stables of an old mansion. Tastefully renovated, the dining halls are the ideal place for different services, such as Wine-bar, American Bar and Cigar List. The cuisine includes fish and meat dishes and a vast choice of wines (over 1000 on the list) and oils.
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Michelin star treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

The restaurant is situated a little off the main drag, and is a beautiful environment in which to enjoy the excellent food. Service was superb. The meal was expensive, but delicious.

Visited November 2013

London, United Kingdom
“The skies the limit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We ate here the second night we were in Ragusa. And the previous night and day had been 'difficult' to say the least as we'd had an accident ion our hire car and were trying to get it fixed. As it turned out all our efforts were to be in vein. To recompense we decided to eat here and which was the restaurant of the hotel we were staying in and who had been so very helpful during our difficulties.

I was with my 14 year old daughter again whose idea of a 'good meal' is a McDonalds or Pizza Express Marguerite Pizza. But that night it was my turn to choose and I wanted something 'special' after the rigours of the day.

This place had it all. It was more a 'grotto' cut into the hillside than a restaurant. It was a a bit of a hike down the hill from the associated hotel where we were staying. The 'grotto' area of the restaurant and though which one enters, was where the 'wine cellar' was situated along with the chef's kitchen. The tables were arranged outside on a terrace where the views of Ragusa were magnificent.

My daughter stuck to what she knows and which on this occasion was Pasta Carbonara. It wasn't on the menu (neither was 'pizza') but they made it specially for her! She said afterwards that it was one of the best carbonara's she'd ever tasted. High Praise indeed.

For me it was the 'Full Monty' and which consisted of seven courses! This is not a place to go to eat lightly! I can't remember what it was I had, all I can say was that everything was delicious ranging from the wine to the dessert.

The service was excellent and all in all was one of the best places I have ever eaten in, and I've eaten in some of the smartest restaurants in the world including Paris so I know what I'm talking about. Clearly too the proprietor was out to create one of the finest eating establishments in Sicily. In my view and experience he succeeded.

The only criticism I can make of the place is that its not the place to go for your average, holiday meal. It is a special place which specialises in special meals with a special menu. The chef certainly knows how to cook. And you have to be in the right frame of mind and appetite to appreciate it. What did it cost me? Around 120 euros. Did I begrudge it? Not a penny of it.

• Visited August 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Incredible meal, amazing staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Beautifully crafted menu and a lovely atmosphere. The presentation and attention to detail was impressive. Wine pairing was to perfection and we did not order the "tasting menu", the excellent wine steward made selections for us based on our personal meal selections. The staff worked in seemless harmony and did not miss a beat. Expensive and awesome meal, we would most definitely dine there again.

Newport, United Kingdom
“Very fine dinning.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

A place only for foodies. You need to like fancy food at high end prices. But worth it. The restaurant is stunning inside. A real ambience. A treat. Staff attentive. Portions not large. They are happy to accommodate likes and dislikes. Lots of nice wines to drink. And I mean really nice. Didn't take to the donkey on the menu but whatever floats your boat! It was recommended. Nice walk from hotel in the evening.

London, United Kingdom
“Review of the restaurant, not the hotel:”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

The restaurant associated with the Locanda Don Serafina hotel is not physically attached to the hotel building. It is a good 20 minute walk away, downhill from the hotel, through the town and municipal gardens, and then a bit along the road leading out of town. You can walk to the restaurant or the hotel will organize a taxi for you. We walked, which was fine, but the municipal gardens weren't lit, the steps down through the park are uneven, and it didn't feel entirely safe to urbanites like us.

Once you arrive at the restaurant (adjacent to a beautiful boarded-up church) you are greated by a very nice contemporary building and space nicely built into the hillside. The decor is neutral-mediterranean and the features are the vaulted dining area and the 'cave' the longe area is built into. The restaurant only has about 10 tables, only three being used the night we were there.

Atmosphere: nicely authentic, slightly rustic, but embraced in comtemporary chic. Badly lit however (too much glare from eco-flourescent bulb choice) and no candles.

Staff: Marginally warmer than the hotel, but still slightly indifferent about ensuring your experience is something exceptional. Doorman/porter at the hotel was doubling a (our) waiter - which I found very disappointing, mainly because he's not tremendously friendly or passionate about what he's doing. Certainly not Michelin-star quality for service.

Food: The food was good. We both had pasta starters and fish main courses. They were very good, but I wouldn't consider them Michelin-star material. (We have dined at many Michelin rated restaurants). We met the chef towards the end of our visit. He seemed very nice and genuinely passionate about the food he prepares and that we had a pleasant evening.

Value: A bit over-priced for Sicily, but good value for a Michelin one-star rating.

Would I go back? Probably not, it just wasn't exceptional enough for me and although the decor is to my liking, I thought the ambiance and vibe were very flat.

• 3 of 5 bubbles