WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Praiano
Brisbane, Australia
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

This was a last minute reservation and about the last hotel on the Amalfi coast in our budget but boy did we hit the jackpot.
Joseph our waiter/guest relations man greeted us on arrival and helped us with our ridiculous quantities of luggage (2 girls on a 6 week trip have these issues). We then proceeded to the restaurant for a well earnt vino bianco after our extremely stressful drive along the Amalfi coast.... definitely not for the faint hearted. We enjoyed some delicious mussels and breads with out wine then headed for a mid dinner swim. On our return we had our mains and Joseph made us some delicious Strawberry daiquiris. A brilliant start to our stay, the private beach is gorgeous day and night but be aware if you want to sunbath hit the beach early as the hotel is in a wee cove which looses the sun quite early in the afternoon. That evening Joseph was our trusty guide and took us to Africans the cave bar just a short walk from the hotel. We had a brilliant night partying in this wicked spot. During the day the Sophia organised us a trip to the Isle of Capri after we searched high and low because all of the trips were booked out (the joys of travelling Italy in August). During our second day we ventured down the Positano for the evening, the bus was a tiny bit late but thats understandable when you see the roads on the Amalfi Coast and it was a great way to see some different sights along the way, beware when in Positano that the food in the beach front restaurants is well over priced, but definitely a gorgeous place to visit. On our third night we wanted to venture out and try a different restaurant so we were sent across a wee bridge to Salvadors.... and it was an absolute culinary delight. We loved this spot in Praiano sooooooo much that we stayed an extra night, unfortunately we only made it to breakfast once but it was delicious with lots of variety. The rooms had brilliant air conditioning and were quite spacious and clean, our room did lack a view but we were only in our room to sleep so it didn't bother us at all.
Overall an amazing experience with fantastic hospitality! Hope I get back there one day :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Loupaterson66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Hebrew first
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

i made a booking true venere.com(reputable company) .i could not be there on the day of booking i asked if would be ok to go to a later day based upon availibility.the owner daugther(sofia) told me that if i want to change the date of stayng i must buy the full pension (diner ,sleep and breakfast.i was not and that would cost me an extra 100.euros =130 dollars i had to accept in order for me not to loose the money for the previouse reservation diner was simply disgusting.
and when i woke up late in the morning, i missed the breakfast ,i asked for an espresso ,and guess what ; they charged me for it.i love where is located ,from there you c an walk to the most beautiful club in the world L`AFRICANA ,but i will never go there again and i dont recomend this place to anybody .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I don't understand who people enjoyed their experience in this hotel. I've been there in september with one of my friend. Well, ok. when we arrived and saw the place, we were amazed by the place ( beach..) and this moment was until we saw the room. Very tiny and very dirty, especially the shower, they were ants, hundred of dead ants because of the toxic kill-ants they sprayed all over the room. It was discusting. We notice the girl at the frontdesk and she said that they had problems with ants. We wanted to forget this and walked until the praiano village to eat which was sooooooo far by walk, especially for 2 young women, we ran at the return on the dark road because we met very strange men. No bus at 22 pm. We didn't slept that night because of the climatisation noise. The next morning, ants came back in the bathroom, we decide to left and we had to pay for 300 EUROS TO LIVE (we were supposed to stay 5 days) !!! That was the cost we lost to enjoy our stay in the Amalfi cost. We directly check in at IL PINO , for the same price, the standard in the other hotel Alfonso A mare was comparatively way to low. Even in Bangkok the room were better ....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FoodLoverMtl
Sophia_Elisabetta, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Sir or Madame ,
we are very unhappy about what happened and to read your comment.
but we like to clarify that we have different kind of rooms and maybe you take the one near our beautiful morning glory ( ipomea - Plant ), so is normal to find one or two ants but is impossible to find hundred of dead ants beacuse the rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day and often two times in the same day.
our hotel is directly on the beach and it is far 1.5 km from the Praiano center but there are regular bus in all amalfi cost area until 00:00 that stop just on top of the hotel . Praiano is a very quiet and peaceful village.
in the standard and in the superior room all our climatisation are soundproof.
for the 300 € is the Cancellation Policies that are specify in all reservation document as the follows:
• Cancellations or modified later or in case of no-show and early departures will be charged the100% of the total .
in your case if we suppose the lowest rate applied in September 2012 is 100€ per night .
but the reservation is for 5 nights so the total of the stay is 500€ , we undestand you and we charge only 300€ .
Praiano is full of Hotels and we happy that you spend the rest of Your stay to our friend of the hotel il pino .
sincerely
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I had a good experience with Hotel Alfonso a Mare. I stayed for one night in October 2011. The welcome was formal, but not unfriendly. My room was ready when I arrived, in spite of me being early, and they showed me to my room right away. My room faced the sea and had an amazing view. I slept wonderfully with the sound of waves crashing outside my door. My room had metal shutters that you could lock for security and still keep your glass doors open to let in the breeze. The room was very clean and nicely furnished. The breakfast was not the best I have had in Italy, but about average. There was a fresh made cappuccino and one roll per person, which the staff brought out to you. Then you could help yourself to meats, cheeses, cereals, yogurts and cakes.
I only had one problem with my stay here, the shower is just a shower head coming out of the wall in the bathroom and you are meant to shower over the bathroom floor. There is a drain in the center of the bathroom floor. The bathroom door itself is wood, warped and a bit moldy. There were also some ants crawling about over the door frame as I showered. This was NOT a reflection on the cleanliness, as my room was squeaky clean. As an American it felt odd to shower this way and I was worried the whole time about water ruining things. Just as I feared, when I opened the bathroom door, the water had escaped under the door and I had a mess to clean up. This was my only issue with this hotel. If they had a shower stall in the bathroom, I'd give them 5 stars!
I should also mention that the location is my favorite in Italy...and I have been to many places in Italy. This little beach is a dream and I always go to that beach, even if I am staying elsewhere in the area. For the price, you can't go wrong with this hotel. By the way, I believe that if you smile and are friendly, others will smile and be friendly back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Designerdb0212
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Pros.
- located right on the beach and close to the bus stop (btw, bus service is a highly unreliable, schedule is a wishful thinking, which presents the number of buses through the day only, but not their actual arrival time)
- room was are clean and spacious
- chef is very good
- you can take a trip to different places by boat right from the beach

Cons
- shower is constantly dripping, drainage in shower is insufficient to accept all water from the shower and water spreads to the floor
- the only person capable of speaking English during the daytime shows her annoyance with disturbance in every possible way

Green salad for 5 euro consisted of lettuce only; we had to ask for oil and vinegar. Bread had to be requested separately too. We checked out at 11am and were waiting for a taxi at 1pm. Asked to keep towels to sit on the beach. Answer: No.

Owner seems to have not used a shower for a week or two and have never heard about a hair brush. He seemed to enjoy filling the breakfast area with fumes from his scooter regularly. I have not seen his smile in four days.

We felt unwelcome all the way. Perhaps Italian-speaking guests would get a better experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnatolIN
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

We really enjoyed the place as it was quieter than the big towns of Amalfi and Positano The family were lovely its right on the beach the pasta and dinners were excellent
The rooms were very comfortable with excellent beds
We loved the fact it was right down on the beach
great value highly recomend it

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robert t
S-Gsister, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear guest
Your Review gratifies us, Thank you on behalf of the staff and family.
We will work with the same commitment and passion, in order to ensure to all our guests a pleasant and comfortable holiday as the one described by you.
We look forward to renewing to you our warm welcome as soon as possible.
Best Regards
milan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

i never felt so welcome in a hotel. its family owned .the location does not get more romantic than that. very clean very friendly staff. fantasic restaurant....i can recommend this hotel to everyone who needs to relax in a fantastic location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank cinderelas
Sophia_Elisabetta, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Madame,
Thank you for your review, it is a pleasure for us know that your stay has been Amazing.
We hope to have you as our guest in the future
our family will be very happy to welcome you again in the Amalfi Coast
best Regards