WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Alfonso a Mare

Hotel Alfonso a Mare
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Praiano
Montreal
“TERRIBLE!!!! DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I don't understand who people enjoyed their experience in this hotel. I've been there in september with one of my friend. Well, ok. when we arrived and saw the place, we were amazed by the place ( beach..) and this moment was until we saw the room. Very tiny and very dirty, especially the shower, they were ants, hundred of dead ants because of the toxic kill-ants they sprayed all over the room. It was discusting. We notice the girl at the frontdesk and she said that they had problems with ants. We wanted to forget this and walked until the praiano village to eat which was sooooooo far by walk, especially for 2 young women, we ran at the return on the dark road because we met very strange men. No bus at 22 pm. We didn't slept that night because of the climatisation noise. The next morning, ants came back in the bathroom, we decide to left and we had to pay for 300 EUROS TO LIVE (we were supposed to stay 5 days) !!! That was the cost we lost to enjoy our stay in the Amalfi cost. We directly check in at IL PINO , for the same price, the standard in the other hotel Alfonso A mare was comparatively way to low. Even in Bangkok the room were better ....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FoodLoverMtl
Sophia_Elisabetta, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Sir or Madame ,
we are very unhappy about what happened and to read your comment.
but we like to clarify that we have different kind of rooms and maybe you take the one near our beautiful morning glory ( ipomea - Plant ), so is normal to find one or two ants but is impossible to find hundred of dead ants beacuse the rooms are cleaned thoroughly every day and often two times in the same day.
our hotel is directly on the beach and it is far 1.5 km from the Praiano center but there are regular bus in all amalfi cost area until 00:00 that stop just on top of the hotel . Praiano is a very quiet and peaceful village.
in the standard and in the superior room all our climatisation are soundproof.
for the 300 € is the Cancellation Policies that are specify in all reservation document as the follows:
• Cancellations or modified later or in case of no-show and early departures will be charged the100% of the total .
in your case if we suppose the lowest rate applied in September 2012 is 100€ per night .
but the reservation is for 5 nights so the total of the stay is 500€ , we undestand you and we charge only 300€ .
Praiano is full of Hotels and we happy that you spend the rest of Your stay to our friend of the hotel il pino .
sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I had a good experience with Hotel Alfonso a Mare. I stayed for one night in October 2011. The welcome was formal, but not unfriendly. My room was ready when I arrived, in spite of me being early, and they showed me to my room right away. My room faced the sea and had an amazing view. I slept wonderfully with the sound of waves crashing outside my door. My room had metal shutters that you could lock for security and still keep your glass doors open to let in the breeze. The room was very clean and nicely furnished. The breakfast was not the best I have had in Italy, but about average. There was a fresh made cappuccino and one roll per person, which the staff brought out to you. Then you could help yourself to meats, cheeses, cereals, yogurts and cakes.
I only had one problem with my stay here, the shower is just a shower head coming out of the wall in the bathroom and you are meant to shower over the bathroom floor. There is a drain in the center of the bathroom floor. The bathroom door itself is wood, warped and a bit moldy. There were also some ants crawling about over the door frame as I showered. This was NOT a reflection on the cleanliness, as my room was squeaky clean. As an American it felt odd to shower this way and I was worried the whole time about water ruining things. Just as I feared, when I opened the bathroom door, the water had escaped under the door and I had a mess to clean up. This was my only issue with this hotel. If they had a shower stall in the bathroom, I'd give them 5 stars!
I should also mention that the location is my favorite in Italy...and I have been to many places in Italy. This little beach is a dream and I always go to that beach, even if I am staying elsewhere in the area. For the price, you can't go wrong with this hotel. By the way, I believe that if you smile and are friendly, others will smile and be friendly back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Designerdb0212
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Pros.
- located right on the beach and close to the bus stop (btw, bus service is a highly unreliable, schedule is a wishful thinking, which presents the number of buses through the day only, but not their actual arrival time)
- room was are clean and spacious
- chef is very good
- you can take a trip to different places by boat right from the beach

Cons
- shower is constantly dripping, drainage in shower is insufficient to accept all water from the shower and water spreads to the floor
- the only person capable of speaking English during the daytime shows her annoyance with disturbance in every possible way

Green salad for 5 euro consisted of lettuce only; we had to ask for oil and vinegar. Bread had to be requested separately too. We checked out at 11am and were waiting for a taxi at 1pm. Asked to keep towels to sit on the beach. Answer: No.

Owner seems to have not used a shower for a week or two and have never heard about a hair brush. He seemed to enjoy filling the breakfast area with fumes from his scooter regularly. I have not seen his smile in four days.

We felt unwelcome all the way. Perhaps Italian-speaking guests would get a better experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AnatolIN
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

We really enjoyed the place as it was quieter than the big towns of Amalfi and Positano The family were lovely its right on the beach the pasta and dinners were excellent
The rooms were very comfortable with excellent beds
We loved the fact it was right down on the beach
great value highly recomend it

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robert t
S-Gsister, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear guest
Your Review gratifies us, Thank you on behalf of the staff and family.
We will work with the same commitment and passion, in order to ensure to all our guests a pleasant and comfortable holiday as the one described by you.
We look forward to renewing to you our warm welcome as soon as possible.
Best Regards
milan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

i never felt so welcome in a hotel. its family owned .the location does not get more romantic than that. very clean very friendly staff. fantasic restaurant....i can recommend this hotel to everyone who needs to relax in a fantastic location.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank cinderelas
Sophia_Elisabetta, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Madame,
Thank you for your review, it is a pleasure for us know that your stay has been Amazing.
We hope to have you as our guest in the future
our family will be very happy to welcome you again in the Amalfi Coast
best Regards
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

Hotel Alfonso a Mare was absolutely wonderful. We stayed for five night and it was truly the highlight of our trip. The rooms aren't modern but are very roomy and always clean. Luka and his wife along with their daughter Sophia continue the tradition of Luca's father, Alfonso, providing the warmest stay to their guests.

The restaurant is one of the best we ate at in our five week trip around Italy. Mama's gnocci was the best I've ever had - bursting with flavour and so delicious. Th chef is a genius - whipping up seafood delights and the kitchen produces amazing meals.

Situated off the main road of the Amalfi coast and delicately wedged between two cliff, Alfonso a Mare is a real treat. You'll need a car to get around (e.g. to Sorrento / Positano) or you can catch the bus - the stop is at the top of the hill.

The beach is STUNNING - white pebbles and aqua blue water. You know you are in a good place when all the locals turn up for the afternoon! There are trips to Capri and the various grottos available from just outside the front of the hotel.

If you are going to stay on the Amalfi coast, stay here (if you can get a booking!). It is a place that you will never forget.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hilary80
S-Gsister, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Alfonso a Mare, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Hilary,
thanks for the wonderful words used to describe our passion, dedication and love, We will work with the same commitment to ensuring to all our guests a pleasant and comfortable holiday as the one described by you.
We hope to renew you as soon as possible our warm welcome in the Amalfi Coast.
Best Regards
Atlanta, GA (US)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

My husband and I took a two week vacation to Italy in May of 2006. We wanted to stay part of the time in the Amalfi area since it's so close to Positano, Capri, and other areas where we wanted to make day trips. Upon checking into Hotel Alfonso a Mare, we were made to feel like family from the first moment. The cook was preparing pasta for dinner, and we were encouraged to watch and ask questions. We did this several times throughout the week, and were pleased at how our questions were always answered in a truly friendly fashion. We felt very welcome.

Among the staff at the hotel, in addition to Alfonso himself are his wife Ada and two daughters, Sofia and Mina. The daughters speak English well, so they were able to translate for us on a number of occasions and were usually available to take our orders in the dining room, and to chat with us about our trip. They were very knowledgeable about the area and could easily help with directions or suggestions when needed. One day I badly scraped my knee after falling from a motor scooter, and Alfonso himself personally tended to my first aid, then inquired later whether it was feeling better. All in all, we were treated like family throughout the entire stay.

The food was outstanding. For breakfast each day, there was a complete spread of pastries, yogurts and breads, and freshly toasted bread with coffee were brought promptly to the table.

Dinner each evening featured pastas, seafood and meats, always very fresh and freshly prepared. It was simple and delicious. I loved the linguini with clams, and the fresh steamed lobster we had on our last evening at the hotel, pulled from the tank of live lobsters near the kitchen.

Our favorite dessert was available most evenings. The waitress called it "Amalfi Cake," and it was a delight -- sweet cake with a custard-like filling and tart cherries baked in. On some mornings there were Amalfi cake leftovers on the breakfast table. YUM!

The room was cozy and quaint, and we were told that it was newly tiled with Italian ceramic tiles that were really beautiful. We could lock the screen doors at night and pull the curtains over them, and a wonderful breeze from the sea kept us cool.

The location is very scenic and private, and it was very convenient to be right on the beach for the one or two days when we just wanted to relax.

The experience we enjoyed at Hotel Alfonso a Mare enhanced our vacation and made the trip very memorable. If we go back, we will stay there again for many reasons, but mostly because that type of personal service and attention are rare and certainly not available at larger hotels.

• Liked — Friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lisac730