“Agree with promised a lot, delivered little comment!”

La Boa Diving Center
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have a feeling when I read all the comments on La Boa tours to Capri that much depends on your captain. Ours was probably the same one as the people who had the bad experience (Promised a lot, deliver little comment). Our captain spoke very little English and pronounced so badly we couldn't understand. No one on board could translate for us as most were from North America or elsewhere in Europe. I understood that this was an English tour!!! So we had no comments at all except, pointing at a few spot, like this is green grotto, this is white grotto, etc. No history of the Island, nothing else, really. He drove like a cowboy, and managed to get everyone at the back of the boat absolutely drenched on the way back. The brochure says that we would "cruise slowly back" so we could admire the coast. That is not our experience at all on this tour. Also, there were none of the promised drinks, no cake, nothing offered. Also, he must have "conveniently" forgot to stop for a swim as the next thing we knew, we were back at the marina with no stop for a swim along the way. And while there was a "toilette" on board, there was no way one could use it the way this capitano was driving. You'd have to take your life into your hands.

The Isle of Capri is worth seeing for sure, make sure you go up the tramway to the town of Capri proper. We then made our way via the local bus to the other side in Anacapri where we grabbed lunch. That was a little less crowded than the Capri side.

So our recommendation would be to get a tour of Capri but do not use La Boa to get there as the quality of service is inconsistent.

5  Thank fernmonca
There are newer reviews for La Boa Diving Center

Reviewed September 27, 2011

One of the highlights of our trip. We went with a group of 10 people one of whom spoke Italian so he translated the skippers commentary. The skipper spoke English but I think we would have missed the nuances of some of his jokes if it hadn’t been for our translator.
We went to every grotto – green, blue, lovers and mermaids – and got close enough to get exceptional photos. The skipper pointed out some famous landmarks and gave us a bit of a history of the islands. Being with such a small group made it great fun and we explored the island together. On the way home we had free soft drinks and cake.
The skipper catered to the desires of the group and we had about 4 hours on Capri and a swim on the way home. It was a wonderful to see Capri and the Amalfi coast from the water in such a personalised way. Very friendly family run outfit who catered specifically to the clients picking them up and dropping them off at various spots along the way.
The boat was fast, stable and very comfortable.

4  Thank aussieastrogirl
Reviewed September 16, 2011

During our 7 day stay on the Amalfi Coast, our day trip to Capri with La Boa was our favorite! It was nice to be on a boat with just 10 others. We were able to see the entire coast of Capri up close before getting off on the island. We had about 4 hours on the island which was great and on the ride back we stopped for a swim which was a lot of fun! Definitely worth it!

1  Thank klt311
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My husband and I were staying in Praiano and when we visited Praia Beach (a local beach) La Boa had a booth set up for excursions. I went over and asked we booked an all day excursion to Capri and the Blue Grotto. It was a private boat with about 10 people on it, the views were amazing, and we skipped the line going into the Blue Grotto because we were already on a boat not on land waiting on the LONG line.

The tour was 50 euro, plus about 10 Euro to enter the Grotto if you wanted to, it was optional. They take you around the entire island and also drop you off at a port in Capri to get food and explore for a while. I would recommend using this company to take you to to see Capri as opposed to going from Praiano to Positano by bus then catch a ferry from Positano to Capri (which looked packed). The cost wasn't much different in the end.

15  Thank Artsy3003
Reviewed August 2, 2004

August 3, 2004

ITALY - One of the best vacation countries - II (CONTINUED).

DIVING IN ITALY -

For those who are interested in scuba diving in Italy, I got in a great dive off Praiano Beach, off the Amalfi Coast with Diving Center " La Boa" - Via Marina di Praia - Praiano, Costiera Amalfitana
Tel: 39-089/813034, Cell: 39-0335/345739, Fax: 39-089/8131084, Email: info@laboa.com, Web: laboa.com/main_eng.html. The Dive master's name is Mr. Rafael Donnarumma.

We went off Praiano Beach in the Dive Master's boat and dived off a "grotto" off Capo Danaelo Beach (North-West of Praiano). There was clear 35 feet visibility. The moment we passed 28 feet, in spite of my 4/5" wet suit, you could feel the cold. We went down to a maximum of 102ft and the water temperature was around 66F! For a Karachi (Pakistan) guy, that's COLD!

After descending the anchor line to 35 ft. where the anchor rested on a ledge (and I could make out the shape of the dive boat!) we went down further down the ledge to 100ft. Total bottom time was only 40 minutes (please forgive me - I'm diving after over a year!). On the way, I saw an octopus in his/her hole (first time seeing one on a dive); several red and orange star fish; and plenty of some small yellowish flowers. Superb dive. I was very happy to come back to 28 feet, only because of the cold. In fact, we would have dived longer (I still had some air left) but I had to signal to Raffael to return back to the boat due to the cold.

On the surface we were sitting at almost 86F ! What a difference in temperatures.

If you are interested, do contact Rafael on the above contact details. He's a very decent guy and gave me a great rate.

I could only do one dive during our whole stay in Italy - but would have liked to do one in Capri. But the cost there was too much.

Dinshaw B. Avari