Villa Il Frantoio
$233
  • Restaurant
Hotel Il Pino(Praiano)(Great Value!)
$191
  • Restaurant
Hotel Alfonso a Mare(Praiano)(Great Value!)
$132
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Holiday(Praiano)(Great Value!)
$221
$184
Hotel La Perla(Praiano)(Great Value!)
$169
$147
Casa Stella Marina(Praiano)(Great Value!)
$148
$450
$437
Orbitz.com
Calanteluna(Praiano)(Great Value!)
All reviewsolive pressamazing viewspool towelsthe busdelightful townamalfi coaststunning placehuge roomour honeymoonbed and breakfastbusy positanoweek tripgreat hostsevery morningsuitestepsnana
Reviewed November 12, 2009

This is the letter I sent the owners after my wife and I departed Villa Il Frantoio. No sense in reproducing the accolades in any different terms than what I sent the owners.

We give Villa Il Frantoio a perfect 10. We received unparalleled service and treatment from the lovely ladies, Rossita and Semona! Both of whom went out of their way to ensure that we not only enjoyed our time at Villa Il Frantoio, but that we also made the absolute most of our time in Praiano, and the nearby towns that dot the enchanting coast that you call home.

Rossita and Semona's pride in their home and their occupations is wholly evident in the time and effort spent to ensure that their knowledge of the Amalfi coast was clearly shared with us. Semona's efforts made our trip to Pompeii incredibly simple and inexpensive, our breakfast a welcome treat every morning, and our stay a complete luxury.

Rossita's efforts ensured that we experienced what is no doubt the best food and service on the Amalfi coast (at La Strada), with the best service that we had received anywhere throughout Italy (covering several cities) on our 17 day trip. She immediately made myself and my wife feel like the most coveted guests upon our arrival. She found us in town and ushered us to Villa Il Frantoio (it wasn't easy to find in the dark), checked us in, and wholly oriented us with the area. She also met us the next morning for breakfast with pamphlets regarding the coast and her recommended plans for our stay. She is an absolute pleasure to have in our company, and she made sure that we were able to indulge in the pleasures that Praiano, Amalfi, and Ravello have to offer.

Without both Semona and Rossita, Villa Il Frantoio is a 10. However, without them, it is just an incredible BnB. With them, it is a home away from home, where my wife and I felt like cherished guests who were the top priority of our hosts.

Many thanks to the sheer atmosphere of the Villa (whose balconies offer what is arguably the best view in the world - and my wife will argue it with anyone now), Semona (whose warm and sincere smile made every morning a delight), and Rossita (whose passion and pride for her home is evident in all she does), all of whom collaborated to ensure that of all the places we visited in Italy (Venezia, Bologna, Firenze, Roma, Maranello, and Amalfi), Praiano (Amalfi coast region) was our absolute favorite!!

Thank you all so very much, it was so much more than we ever expected!

It was our honeymoon, and this place was perfect. We were told that small weddings had been held there before, and I don't doubt it. My wife absolutely melted at imagining our wedding having been held there... maybe we will renew the vows there in a few years. I certainly hope we are there again sooner than that!

That concludes the letter... on to some other useful bits:

EAT AT La Strada!!! Trattoria San Gennaro was good as well, but nowhere near the quality (that you will pay for) at La Strada.

There are also plans (I believe) to introduce a system to automatically get luggage to and from the Villa, which would be a welcome addition. My wife and I were traveling for 3 weeks, so we did a bit of lugging up and down the 55 steps from the top.

From the town's main street, you will climb 207 steps up to Villa Il Frantoio. From the Villa to their car lot (small), you will climb 55 steps. A car is the sensible and easy way to do it, but if you don't drive Amalfi, then just be sure you're ready for the 207 steps. My wife and I had no problem with them, but we were 28 and 32, respectively at the time of our visit.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Although there are a few steps to the Il Frantoio, they are well worth it to stay in Praiano ...an IDEAL location for seeing the Amalfi Coast ... and a new, clean establishment run by a family who has lived there all their lives. They know everything about the area and can assist you with all your needs. The rooms are so charming, with all new amenities including a full-body shower, and some with jacuzzi's. Each has its own balcony or garden looking over the Mediterranean. Ours had an old olive press right in the middle that added such nostalgic charm while the kitchen and wine cellar were quite convenient. High speed Internet was in each room as well, and of course breakfast was included. They also had parking which is a commodity in Praiano! Really a treat to stay here!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Okay, first off...this place is approximately 200 steps up from the main square in Praiano, but it is worth the climb. It is a small inn with a spectacular view. We booked two rooms, each with a private terrace. The style of the place is modern and clean. The staff were very helpful, helping us locate lost luggage, providing suggestions for restaurants and navigating the towns along the Amalfi Coast). Praiano is bit quieter than the surrounding towns of Positano and Amalfi/Ravello...but you get the feeling that you're among locals, more than tourists.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Would thoroughly recommend a break here. The Amalfi Coast is really beautiful with the most amazing scenery and having a place like the Villa Il Frantoio to stay was an added bonus. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are spotless and the breakfasts delicious. The only drawback for me (as an elderly asthmatic) was the climb to get there. The steps up (managed going down - just!) were beyond me and the road involved four or five stops for breath. Perhaps a local taxi firm's card could be handed out along with the room key? However, that didn't detract from the overall enjoyable experience and I loved it!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I am not quite sure what we expected, but our room reminded us of a basement suite. However, when we stepped outside, the view was amazing. Unfortunately, the weather was so warm, we could not sit outside becaue it was too hot and the sun was beating on us. We had to retreat to our room. We had a wee kitchen and we had hoped to cook some meals. However, there is not much you can do with a 2 burner stove and there's not much to buy in the town. The bathroom was lovely, even though the toilet kept running unless we double flushed and the shower/tub unit also leaked a lot. The air conditioner was really appreciated, even though it also leaked all over the floor our first night. Fortunately, we were provided with lots of towels and our suitcases were spared be soaked because we had left them on the bed. When we mentioned the leaky air conditioner to the staff, it was fixed the next day. Breakfast was good and the staff were super friendly. We were overcharged for internet access but did not realize it until we had left. I am sure that the bill would have been corrected had we noticed the error when we were there. For our purposes, Praiano is too quiet. For our evening entertainment we would go to the main drag (aka the highway) and watch the traffic jams and see which bus would have to back up to let the other bus go through. In our opinion, stay in Sorrento and take day trips to the other towns/sites. Take the bus one way and the ferry the other. Positano and Amalfi were crazy busy and not at all enjoyable. Sorrento is big enough to absorb the tourists. Praiano, well......it's small and cute, the church is gorgeous, but there's not much to do after 6 pm. The buses are crowded and you'll probably end up standing The restaurants are also very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple