“Loved the view”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Pozzuoli
Singapore
“Loved the view”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

The hotel was excellent with a great and very helpful staff. Ideally situated for a breathtaking view of the bay of naples. The breakfast was good and the surroundings very nice. A steep walk uphill if you don't have a car, but a great workout after an evening dinner at a quaint restaurant situated just dowhill from the hotel. Will return again.

• Liked — the friendly staff and the great taxi driver roberto
  • Disliked — need transportation or a taxi to get around.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank kerny07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Czech first
Ireland
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My boyfriend and I booked five nights at this hotel at very reasonable rate for four star hotel. We checked out a day early and stayed in central naples for our last night due to the awful location and sometimes rude and unfriendly staff.
The hotel is on top of a steep hill and about 20 minute walk to the main metro station. There is a shuttle bus taking you to the metro, but as we returned home from naples at 8 pm, we couldnt get in contact with the hotel and had to walk up the hill in the dark dodging cars and mopeds coming from all directions.
The metro will take you into central naples in about 35 mins, but make sure you check the times of the metro at the hotel before you get the shuttle.
There is little to see in Pozzuoli and a taxi to naples will set you back circa €50.00. DO not stay in this hotel if you are not hiring a car as it is a nightmare trying to navigate your way around without one. If you are hiring a car, be warned the italians are crazy drivers and there doesnt appear to be any rules of the road!
All in all the hotel was not bad, view was beautiful, pool area was nice, food was average and quite expensive. It is as other reviews point out primarily a wedding and business function hotel, and therefore dont be surprised to find both restaurant and pool area closed off completely to other guests.
The only friendly member of staff was the receptionist, the bar and restaurant staff were actually rude and would stand in a corner chatting leaving you waiting to be served food and/or drink.
if i was staying in this hotel again it would be for one or two nights maximum to take advantage of the pool and view.
Do take the metro from pozzuoli directly to pompeii for a day trip or take the ferry to Capri or Sorrento if you decide to stay here.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AngeBIreland
Hudson, NY
Reviewed April 26, 2007

My wife and I loved this hotel. We drove from Rome looking for a hotel on the ocean and could not find anything nice. It started getting late and we were hungry and tired when we started follwing signs to Gli Dei. We drove to the top of a steep hill that turns out to be the ledge of an ancient volcano. The view out into the Mediteranian was incredible. We figured the hotel was way out of our budget, but it was an affordable $135 euro in July. A regular hotel room by the airport was $260. There was a wedding going on, but we asked if we could eat by the pool. They said sure and a man immediately set up a table for us that had that incredible view. It turned out he was the owner. We ordered a broiled seafood platter and a bottle of wine that was outstanding and the service was excellent. We couldn't have been happier. We stayed for a week. The staff was excellent, the owners very friendly, and the hotel was sparkiling clean. You need a car to go to places and there isn't entertainment on site, but Pozzuoli is hopping and Naples is ten minutes away. Thank you for book Antonio, the best waiter in all of Italy.

• Liked — View and the Food
  • Disliked — Quiet
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank olani
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 6, 2007

This is the second time staying at the Gli Dei. Only in Naples, with its piles of garbage in the streets, would this hotel rank a 4-star rating. Rooms are basic, though clean. The major plus is the spectacular view of the bay. There are no "nonsmoking" rooms, and smoke can be smelled throughout the hotel and its rooms.
Here's a little lesson I learned this time around: I arrived early afternoon and was a little hungry. The Gli Dei is not walking distance to any restaurants or cafes, so I asked the receptionist if the hotel kitchen was open. He showed me to the restaurant, where I was the only patron. I told the waiter I just wanted a lite lunch, something small. He said they had a fixed lunch menu, which was the only option. OK, I said, and proceeded to have a nice little lunch of prosciutto and parmesan, followed by a little bowl of pasta, followed by a lite fish dish. Perfect, I thought. I never saw the bill, as the waiter disappeared. When I wanted to leave, I went back out to the reception, and the receptionist indicated that the waiter was on break, and they would just charge the lunch to the room. That was OK, I thought, until I went to check out the next day. The lunch was on the bill alright...for 64 Euros. When I expressed my dismay to the receptionist, I got the classic Italian shrug. This was my last time staying at this clip-joint.

• Liked — View of the bay
  • Disliked — Service, prices (especially the food), basic rooms for a high price
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this place
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
7 Thank GDRWalkers
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed September 11, 2006

This is a fantastic hotel in Pozzuoli. After having lived there for many years, I can't think of a better one. It is spacious and clean and the staff is extremely friendly! Ask for a room with a view -- on a clear day there is nothing like it. The only downside for us was that it is what we call a '"wedding" hotel." The entire weekend that we visited there was always a wedding reception taking place -- usually around the pool. As a result, we were not able to use the big beautiful pool. (We weren't told that we couldn't, but I would certainly feel awkward swimming with a two-year-old at a wedding reception.) The breakfast was not great -- but, hey, go to a bar! There are plenty of good ones in Pozzuoli. We will recommend this hotel to all of our friends and I am sure that we will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank Dana K
Bucharest
Reviewed August 15, 2005

we have been to Gli Dei in august

Good points: the view( sea view)
good price for a four star hotel

Bad points: the breakfast was terrible!!!!!!!!
Nothing you can eat
Staff was unfriendly
There was no shuttle bus to the centre of pozzuoli (the brochure said it exist)
Empty hotel, in august!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2005
Naples, Italy
Reviewed November 25, 2004

Beautiful four stars hotel in Pozzuoli (Naples) - Italy. The hotel has fantastic views. It has 29 double rooms and 7 junior suites, a swimming pool, a solarium and a car park.
Moreover it's situated in great location for all the excursions in the area of Campi Flegrei and the city of Naples.

1 Thank Sonia L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pozzuoli
Villa Luisa Hotel
Bagnoli
Montespina Park Hotel
Montespina Park Hotel
#32 of 186 in Naples

Been to Gli Dei Hotel? Share your experiences!