“Be dazzled once more by the coast”

Grotta dello Smeraldo (Emerald Grotto)
Book In Advance
$79.45*
Daily Amalfi Coast Group Tour
$398.81*
Private Tour: Amalfi Coast Day Trip from Naples by Vintage Fiat 500 or Fiat 600
$933.47*
Salerno to Amalfi and Positano Private Boat Excursion
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Go alone, where a pretty dress, and you'll get a heck lot more than your 5€ worth.

I paid my money, took the elevator down and as I was arriving into the cave, a boat full of your normal Brits, Germans and Jap tourists was loading up. I went over, then this hansom tour guide told me 'viene' ('come'). And took me out privately on the boat, quite blatantly too- might I add. I spent the next five minutes begging him to let me swim, and after some time he gave in. When the next boat full was loading up- he took me to the Emerald part and I took my clothes off, put my bikini on and jumped in. Now that was something spectacular- special. No money can buy that- so wear a pretty dress!

Some general info: Yes it costs 5€, you arrive (quite easily with a SITA bus, it's just 4km before Amalfi) and take an elevator down, unfortunately there is no stairs to stroll, walk about 10 meters and you're inside the cave, you get on a boat and the rowing-tour dude will show you around. Take notice of the beautiful texture and patterns of the natural cave, and trust me- it's beautiful, the sensation of the colour! Wow! I think the other tourists had swell time, singing at stuff, joking with the guy.

Moral of the story, like anything in life- it's what you make of it. Look closer, dig deeper, ask more questions but above all appreciate the beauty of this earth! (PS, this opinion is not one of some hippy, but a young kiwi gal living near Sorrento)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We hired a private boat for our family to cruise along the coast for two hours and our boat launched here to let us off to take the tour. We had two kids with us so they enjoyed the experience of getting into another boat, being in a cave and the underwater scene. To be honest there was another smaller grotto that our private boat went into somewhere between Positano and Praino that was much better - much less commercialized and the brilliant blue of the water was stunning. Best part, we had it all to ourselves! (it was very similar to the one in Capri but very secluded and natural to the surroundings without the commercialization). Only wish I knew the name to recommend but if you hire a boat off the main beach in Positano, I imagine it would be included as you cruise towards Amalfi.

3  Thank Bonniebelle4
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Grotto dello smeraldo was a amazing experience, water is so clear and how the sunlight can change the colour of water...its a must to see!
Children will also have fun time watching the Grotto and enjoying a small ride in the boat in the grotto.

2  Thank tripadviser2011
Reviewed December 23, 2012

the cave was nice with natural light creating visual delights on the water, but a bit smaller than expected. Luckily, the tour guides were funny

1  Thank goujai2002
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We deliberately skipped the Blue Grotto on Capri after reading some negative experiences. We had a local driver for a trip down the coast and he asked if we could like to stop at the Emerald Grotto. He did not over-sell or pressure, but we all decided to join in. I would agree with some of the other reviews about the limited size and how the boatmen milk the time to their advantage. Still good fun and it won't break the bank at 5 Euros. Just don't expect too much if you've seen other similar sites.

2  Thank 815PaulT