“Conveniently located, car park outside, but avg rooms”

Hotel La Bougainville
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Singapore, Singapore
“Conveniently located, car park outside, but avg rooms”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Location: On main road passing through Positano
Hotel: Small hotel over 2 floors, breakfast included, 24 hour manned reception
Room: Very small with 1 small window, very inconvenient bathroom
Positives: In main part of town, car park across the hotel
Negatives: Need to carry bags to hotel lobby (1 floor above ground) and then to rooms another floor higher. Small rooms. Inconvenient internet use.

We wanted to stay in Positano during our trip to Italy and given that we were driving there but still wanted to stay in the town we therefore opted La Bougainville. The best part about the hotel is its location, bang opposite a car park (you can request them to book a slot for you a few days before you arrive) in a town which has almost no other parking space.

We had to lug our bags up to the reception as there was no porter available, therefore, not the best place for elderly. The receptionist was very nice and helpful, checked us in quickly and helped us with transport ideas to Amalfi and Capri. She was later replaced by a grumpy porter who certainly didn't care about 'hospitality'. Our room was on the 2nd floor and very inconveniently located in that a staircase ran above our room and hence our bathing area was very short and I banged my head several times into the stepped ceiling. The room itself was small with a double bed and precious little place to walk around. As we were staying only 2 nights and intended to be out of the room for most part, we didn't request for a change. We had also driven down from Rome that morning having stopped at Pompeii for 3-4 hours.

The breakfast was served on the same floor as the reception and the spread was good by Italian standards, some breads, coffee/tea, meats, yoghurts and fruits with cereals. They gave each room a username and password for internet that was valid for only 24 hours and was very inconvenient every time you wanted to log in. They should certainly improve upon this.

If I were coming back to Positano, I would look for a better hotel and if I do come to the conclusion that La Bougainville is the best placed, then I will certainly request for a better room.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get the room on the 2nd floor that has a staircase running above it. Can'...
2 Thank Traveleator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel La Bougainville for a few nights in Oct for our honeymoon. The service was great, the staff very friendly, and we loved the B&B feeling we got (even the breakfast every morning was great). The location can't be beat, it's right at the entrance to all of the shops in Positano. This was our favorite place we stayed during our 3 week honeymoon in Europe. We highly recommend staying here!

4 Thank jon w
Burnaby, BC
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel is comfortable and had a great balcony overlooking the town and the ocean. The hotel is just outside the pedestrian only section of Positano making it very convenient to walk down into the town but the drawback to the location is the exhaust from all the vehicles travelling up to the upper reaches of town and beyond.

The room was spacious and had good WiFi. The breakfast was OK not overwhelming but served in a nice breakfast room.

Staff were very friendly and helpful when needed.

Room Tip: Get a view room, worth it.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed a during Oct 12 and we selected a ocean view room with a balcony. This was an excellent decision and although the weather wasn't great it gave us the opportunity to watch a lightening storm out at sea drinking a local red.

The staff are excellent and more than willing to help whether it was a cork screw, wine glasses or a booking at a local restaurant. We left at 5am and again the night staff jumped in and took our luggage downs stairs for us which we were extremely grateful.

The location is excellent with parking opposite but also room to pullover and get your bags etc if you have a transfer.

The rooms are very clean and breakfast was more than enough to keep us going until lunch.

Positano and the Amalfi region is an excellent place for a few days but do your self justice and grab the rooms with ocean views and a balcony.

Room Tip: Grab the rooms with a balcony and ocean views
1 Thank Peter779
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My wife and around friends stayed at this hotel from October 28 to November 2, 2012. We attended a friend's wedding on October 30 at the main church. The hotel is centrally located and on the main road. The start of Via dei Mulini, which is the main shopping area in Positano and has a bus stop for the internal bus of Positano, is a 30 second walk. The nearest SITA bus stop to Sorrento and Amalfi is a 10 minute walk.

The staff's service was excellent. Marella, who runs the hotel, is a second generation hotelier. Her father bought the property in the 1950s and has operated the hotel since then. Being an owner, Marella provides service beyond the call of duty and this attitude extends to her staff - Rafael, Andrea, Anna and Luigi. Amomg the notable things they did was to decorate the dining area with balloons and served a cake for my friend's birthday. Marella helped in booking taxis, train tickets and restaurants. She even helped find lost articles (like bags, jackets, etc), which our friends left at the restaurant where we had the wedding reception. Rafael makes great coffee - from espressos to cappuccinos to cafe latte. Anna makes sure that our room and bathroom are always clean.

For our 5 night stay, I paid 600 Euros. This includes breakfast and free Internet Wifi. Please note that I booked 2 months in advance and it was the end of the season. I'm sure there are a lot of hotels with nicer views and rooms, but the Hotel La Bougainville had excellent service, which for me is more important than views.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank PinoyNuances
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I had the great opportunity to stay at the lovely Hotel La Bougainville in Positano for my 50th birthday celebration in early May. I selected a room in the back of the hotel without a balcony, primarily for economic reasons. I was concerned that the room might be dark and without a view, but that wasn’t the case at all. The windows are at the top of the wall and the view of the cliffs behind the hotel was absolutely gorgeous.

The room was really clean and all of the employees were friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet had a nice variety every morning, and the attendants will make you a special caffe latte as soon as you are seated. I’m still craving another piece of that delicious spinach pie!

Marella was extremely helpful with suggestions for things to do and how to get around. This hotel is in a PRIME location and you can walk to everything. Positano can be a difficult place for elderly visitors and un-fit individuals, because there are a lot of stairs and hills, so be sure to get yourself in shape before you visit this spectacular slice of Paradise. I highly recommend Hotel La Bougainville, and I hope to have the opportunity to return some day!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BoulderadoBeverly
Encinitas, California
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I loved the Hotel La Bougainville...Marella, Andrea and Rafael are so kind, helpful and warm. You really feel welcome. The rooms are clean to perfection and I was upgraded from the least expensive room with a room with a nice window, lots of light and quiet off the street. I really liked that the room had a mini-fridge. The location was perfect. A Banco at the bottom of the stairs to use my debit card and within walking distance of any place you would want to go in Positano. If you get a chance take Christine's Walking Tour, so informative and delightful. A great way to get to know some of the history of Positano. The hotel can give you the info.

Grazie Marella, Andrea and Rafael for a wonderful stay in your beautiful hotel!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo