“The jewel of Positano”

Hotel Buca di Bacco
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed November 17, 2013

simply 1st class!!!!
clean, well decorated, amazing breakfasts...right on the beach...must get the sea view room.......
its well worth every dollar !!!! We took the cooking class as well....it was a fun time and an amazing experience. ....enjoy !!

Room Tip: sea view is a must
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carabresella

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Buca di Bacco for the first part of our Honeymoon. We were completely charmed by Positano, the hotel, and the staff.

The staff were completely accomodating before (via email), during, and after our stay. We booked activities and a car service beforehand, and the front desk was always pleasant and helpful when we passed by. I happened to leave a small chain necklace when we left, and they called our driver to let me know. I was ready to say just stick it in the mail to me, or just throw it out, as we were already well on our way to Pompeii and were on a bit of a schedule to make a train later that afternoon and the necklace was just a little trinket, but they had the necklace go out with the next driver and he stopped and left it with ours! That service is above and beyond.

The room was charming, very large, exactly what was pictured (and even better!). The deck was amazing. Everything was immaculately clean, which is most important in my book.

Positano was beautiful, serene, and laid back - especially since we were there at the end of October.

We do recommend if you have large bags to go ahead and pay the porter to bring them down and up to the hotel! We (mistakenly) thought that going down would be easy - but with big bags and lots of steps, it just wasn't. We paid the porter to bring them up when we left.

5  Thank geaux-ali
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We returned to Buci di Bacco to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary and were delighted to experience the same ambiance and charm as our last trip. The hotel has modernised without loosing charm. WIFI in all rooms and in the public areas. There are excellent views from the terrace serving an abundant breakfast. On the 2nd day our waitress remembered that I liked start my breakfast with a cappuccino and then finish with an expresso The rooms are light and airy with plenty of space and storage, the bathroom beautiful marble and the bed enormous. I liked having an ironing room as I prefer to do my own ironing. There is also a book exchange on the same floor. All the staff at the front desk were really helpful booking our day trip to Capri and suggesting which day to go because of an incoming storm. They also recommended some great restaurants for us to try.
Our terrace was amazing a lovely table with 2 chairs and 2 deck chairs for lounging. Some days we enjoyed our lunch from the best views in Positano our terrace.
I love the hotel because it is at the heart of Positano, you can watch the boats come in and out, look what is happening on the beach and enjoy real family hospitality. It is definitely worth paying for it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank possie2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had a nice, but not great room. Smallish with a small terrace - 2 chairs + table. In the room - only one comfortable chair. We took an elevator in the main hotel to an upper floor and transferred to another elevator to get to our room. This is not mentioned on websites or I probably would have chosen another hotel or specified the main hotel. A nice view was over a very busy beach and looked sideways over Positano. They had a fantastic breakfast on a terrace overlooking the beach and a very nice dining room which we didn't use. However, we had drinks one night on the terrace which was part of the bar and they were very accommodating about serving us dinner there (yummy) when we asked.
One thing to mention which is important to us - they would not accept American Express. The only hotel in our trip to Italy that wouldn't.

Room Tip: I'd stay in the main hotel. We upgraded to the tiny balcony. Not really worth it.
1  Thank scareyBuffalo
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We arrived at this hotel, having booked a "comfort double sea view" room at 330 E per night for 2 nights in June. We confirmed our booking by phone one day in advance. When we arrived we were shown to our room #27 which was located at the far end of the hotel, The view was partially blocked by a large air conditioner enclosure on the roof of the building in front of our room, thus obscuring half of the sea view. We asked for a different room but they told us they had none unless we paid 100 E more. After over an half hour of heated discussions with the manager, we threatened to leave and write a review on TripAdvisor. At that point the manager offered us a sea view suite #33 at no additional charge. The room was lovely and had a sea view as we requested. We felt that the manager handled the situation very poorly and we now have a negative feeling about this hotel. Aside from the drama, the staff was excellent and the breakfast buffet overlooking the sea was fantastic. The hotel is located as close to the sand as is possible in Positano, just beware of room #27.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank rcg2958
bucadibacco, Owner at Hotel Buca di Bacco, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

A DISAPPOINTING REVIEW:

I have never read a review where the Guest is writing for having threatened the Hotel Management, in fact this is what he is writing in this review! This Guest threatened us to go away from the hotel and to leave a terrible review on TripAdvisor if his claiming for a change with another room should not have been granted by the hotel, I think this is not fair and it is a very bad message to all the TripAdvisor world of users. In any case we are people of good will and we always try to make happy each one of our Guests. The only problem with the room was due to the view partially obstructed by a water tank (not air conditioning) enclosure on the roof of a house in front of our hotel, 3 pictures of Room 27 and its view are available on T.A. at : Traveler photos & > Management Photos. Unfortunately at that time the hotel was very busy and no other Comfort Room was available for a change with another point of view. We first offered a discounted upgrade but it was promptly refused, it was at that point, while I was thinking to offer a free upgrade that I was threatened by the Guest. No matter for it and I anyway offered him the only room available in the hotel, an Executive Room for free!
There after I was expecting a little sign like a smile or thank you but ......... , o.k. never mind! Maybe the Guest was absent-minded for some other reason.
Today, I am very sorry to see that he is still cultivating his bad feeling against the hotel and me, I was never expecting to receive 5 months later his departure such a kind of disappointing review.
In the end, to cut a long story short, the sadness is to realize that "thank you" still seems to be a very hard word to be pronounced on this world!
Salvatore Rispoli

Reviewed November 6, 2013

no doubt that Buca di Bacco is the best hotel in Positano.
Best location than any hotel, staff super friendly. Rooms impeccably clean.
The restaurant served very good pasta and breakfast was great.
If I return to Positano will certainly stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: get a row with sea view!!!
1  Thank Carol G
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently had the privilege of staying with my daughter at the Buca di Bacco in Positano. Having been to the Amalfi coast twice before, I had an idea of how the hotels run and what kind of decor etc to expect. Not only did the Buca di Bacco meet this expectation, it greatly out weighed it.

From the moment we checked in until the moment we left, we were always shown the utmost respect and friendliness from EVERY staff member. Our room was immaculately clean and was decorated in rich but friendly furnishings. The linen was generous, the bathroom was large, the bed was comfortable, the view panoramic and the noise from other guests etc inaudible. Breakfast was a large array of fruits, cereals, small goods, italian cakes and crusty breads. Fresh juices and bottled waters were available and the coffee of a high standard.

All service throughout our stay was quick and delivered with a good attitude. My daughter and I felt, no request on our behalf was too much to ask, and unlike a lot of hotels around the world, it was refreshing to see that all staff members including cleaning staff and chefs, were local which added to the personal touch and feel.

I spoke to a few people about their jobs and job satisfaction and the response was always the same, they enjoyed working there.

A BIG, BIG thank you to all staff at Buca di Bacco for making our trip so memorable that we were reduced to tears on departure. We felt we were leaving family.

Thank you Luigi Capriglione for being such a good listener to our tales every evening at pre and post dinner drinks. I'm sure you've heard the same stories from many other people who frequent your hotel and do the same tourist things we did however, you made us feel we were the first ones.

Future Buca di Bacco patrons, don't stay anywhere else when in Positano. We won't!!!

Room Tip: If you want an unforgettable view ask for the Terrace room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family