“Nice hosts but disappointing room”

Venus Inn B&B Positano
Ranked #15 of 49 Positano B&B and Inns
WA state
“Nice hosts but disappointing room”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Gippy and his wife were very pleasant and hospitable. They offered us general info about Positano and referred us to two nearby restaurants that he said would give us a 10% discount if we said "Gippy sent us".....and they did. The weather was very cool and windy, so we appreciated those handy referrals which were a short walk away and really enjoyed both meals....they were: Ristorante Saraceno d'Oro (rated #5 of 44 on TA) and Ristorante Mediterraneo (rated #8 of 44). Gippy told us his grandfather had owned the hotel/villa and we wondered if their hearts were not in it to be B & B proprietors (they live in Rome and do not reside at the inn while staying in Positano for the season). Nevertheless, we appreciated their helpfulness with information and setting us up for a short stay.

The facility, however, was very underwhelming because it was spare, had dated (e.g. very used) fabric furnishings and a bed that sloped toward the middle (glad I carried my own pillow as the one on the bed was terribly lumpy). The room had a neighborhood view across the ravine, no soap or kleenix or anything extra in the room and it was not particularly clean (there were tiny bugs scurrying around the bathroom entry and wall - which I reported to the owners). The balcony was unattractive; there was a small plastic table and chairs, which we used for breakfast one morning and there were a couple of small plants. We had a key for the room and one for the building, and both were very difficult to use (my husband managed to make them work, but I could not).

Fortunately, we found some trail maps left behind by another travelor for hiking from Nocelle to Praiano - which turned out to be the best day possible.

I was glad we had not booked 4 nights as originally planned, because the quality of this room/place did meet our standards. However, the location was good, despite a long steep walk to and from the bus stop; and the price okay....so it may work for cost conscious travelors who don't mind a bare room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Patty P
carpediemroma, Owner at Venus Inn B&B Positano, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
I am a young boy, the son of a tourist guide who has worked in tourism for many years and that gave me the right advises in my job , including knowledge of 4 languages

I took a few years ago by my grandfather this structure that was left abandoned.

I am not rich but with passion in my work I try every year to earn some money to be able to renew to offer a good comfort to customers. The last major renovation was in 2009 and over the beds and bathrooms completely new I also replaced the doors.
Maybe I will not choose the right locks and mattresses?! ((

It 's true the decor in the rooms is simple but is all you need desks, chairs, sofa, wardrobe, bed, bedside tables and lights. Not luxus but otherwise would not be at a reasonable price.

I would be happy to have a terrace, especially if it is large enough for tables, chairs and flowers and with a panoramic view.
I remember it's a Bed and Breakfast !! It is not a 3 star hotel.

Anyway thank you for the review, I will try always to improve more.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
ISTANBUL
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Venus Inn maybe doesn't has the perfect view of Positano but it surely has the perfect manager and the perfect friend: Gippy... Positano is place with full of surprises and if you don't want to lose yourself in these surprises, you surely should find this guy. It's so important in Positano that where you're staying. And Venus Inn is a place you can easily reach both the Fornillo Beach and the main street.

I assure you that you will not regret.

1 Thank Burçin Sait Y
Galveston Island, Texas
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Going to Positano and staying at the Residence Venus-Inn was the highlight of our Italian adventure. And "hats off" to Gippy. He welcomed us with his warm and wonderful Italian hospitality and even spoke some English, which made us feel right at home. Our room was neat and clean; our balcony overlooked Positano. We enjoyed several meals on the balcony. It was so romantic; everything and more to fill your wildest expectations. There was even a kitchenette in the room, but we never used it. If we didn't go out for meals, we bought items at the local market and brought them home to enjoy after a tiring day of site seeing on foot. Positano is centrally located, which allowed us to make day trips by ferry to Amalfi one day and Capri the next. We could have also gone to Sorrento or Naples, but ran out of time. We'd go back in a heart beat and stay at the Residence Venus-Inn. It was magnificent.
Try it. You'll love it! Ciao!!
Ed & Pet Pittman

Room Tip: We only saw inside the room where we stayed which was facing southwest toward the main beach and Ama...
1 Thank Ed P
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2011

A traveller's worst nightmare: we arrived in Positano only to discover that the owner, Gippy, had given away our room to another couple that had turned up earlier in the day without a confirmed booking (they'd apparently emailed him to arrange their stay but had never provided credit card details to complete the booking). He apologised, but his initial explanation was that he had simply thought they were us - which is very odd, given that you need to provide passport identification for check-in. However, after many other conversations with Gippy, it became clear that the real reason this other couple had not been turned away or offered alternative accommodation was because they had enquired with him directly and he was not obliged to pay any commission on their stay (in contrast, we had booked on Venere.com and it appears this incurs a per night fee back to the agency). Basically, Gippy was going to make more money by giving the other couple our room.

Instead, we were taken to a different "property" (a level of Gippy's house which he rents out for holiday stays) which had a wonderful view but was on a major road, was much further away from the water and restaurants, and was not at all what we had been looking forward to (neither of us wanted to shower there because it was so uninviting). However, because we'd booked 3 nights in Positano and this 'apartment' was being rented out by others before we were due to leave, we had to then choose between transferring back to the Venus Inn after a night or two - to the only available room without a view - or moving downstairs to his mother's house and staying in Gippy's old room (his mum was out of town at the time). We asked if we were going to be charged the same amount as our original booking at the Venus Inn (110 euros per night) and were told 'yes'. Apparently there was nothing he could do. Again, very odd given that he now had someone in the room we'd originally booked AND us in his empty apartment paying $110 euros (I'm sure it doesn't cost that much for a cleaner to change a set of sheets and retouch a bathroom after one night of people barely touching anything?). It looked like double the income to us.

WOW. It was a disaster. We spent our first day in Positano trying to figure out what the hell we were going to do (we tried to find another hotel but it's impossible at that time of year) and finally told Gippy we'd spend the night in the 'apartment' but would take the room without a view at the Venus Inn the next day so we could just get on with our holiday. Again, we asked would there be any sort of discount given the inconvenience and change of room, etc? 'No, it's impossible'. We asked if we could at least have some help moving to the Venus the next day and were told to take a the local bus with all our bags (we had a lot of luggage thanks to a long trip and multiple climates). If you've seen the local bus service in Positano on a busy day, you'll know that this would be a total nightmare. It was only after we expressed to him how shocked we were with the position we were being put in - at no fault of our own - that he suddenly remembered he had a car he could use to help us move the following day. BIZARRE. Gippy is very friendly and chats away with you for ages, but it was clear to us that all was not as it seemed. You'd think he'd be bending over backwards to put right his crazy 'mistake', but instead we were having to beg for help and compensation!

In a nutshell: we spent a sleepless night at the apartment (the traffic noise was terrible), we moved to the Venus for our remaining two nights; it seems Gippy relocated yet another couple to a different room so we could see a sliver of water from ours (goodness knows how they felt about that!); we couldn't figure out what all the rave reviews were about (after all the palava in getting there, we found ourselves completely underwhelmed by the Venus...no hand soap to be found, a grotty shower curtain, no water pressure, no sign of the cheap breakfast on the terrace...); we finally spent two lovely days at the small beach trying not to think about how we'd been messed around, and checked out with a 30 euro discount for our troubles.

9 Thank bobsx3
carpediemroma, Proprietario at Venus Inn B&B Positano, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
I think they had a big misundertanding since when they arrived.
It's true I had an overbooking ( I'm sorry, it's happened)
So I offered them , at the same price , a more expensive accomodation for all their stay allowing them to choise.

I knew they were disappointed since when they asked me the first night for free.

With all my kindness and the passion for my job, I picked up them from the Bus stop, I carried their lauggages 4 times, I moved some other guest to give them the room they prefered , I gave them all my assistance, I discounted the price ............ I don't know what I could do , if they were still disappointed !!!)))) It's difficult for me in this case to make happy my customers but I continue doing all my best.
Sunderland
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked Venus Inn for the first week of our holiday and anniversary celebration based on Tripadvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. Gippy the owner was waiting for us and after showing us our room he gave us some great tips on getting food in the town.

The room was clean, tidy and with an en suite bathroom. The week we were there Positano was experiencing a heatwave and the air-conditioning was very welcome. There was no TV/Radio in the room but we didn't mind and we always take our iPod and speakers. The quiet of the B&B and the town made for a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was served between 8 and 10 am on the terrace which has a fantastic view. The continental breakfast was good with juice and plenty of coffee. Gippy would be around mornings and evenings and always happy to help. The B&B had plenty of leaflets on local excursions. We hired a car to transfer to Sorrento for our second week and to visit Caserta north of Naples. Gippy arranged some local parking for us at a good rate and also suggested and booked an excellent evening visit to Pompei. Only available on weekend evenings (Fri/Sat/Sun) with small groups of 20 being shown around by torchlight the tour lasted 90 minutes and is known as Le Lune de Pompei. At the moment the guide is only provided in Italian but the atmosphere is brilliant.

The B&B is on the Via Fornillo. At one end you have the town's one way road and a bus stop for the internal bus service. Continuing down Via Fornillo and it's many steps takes you to the smaller of Positano's two beaches.

We had a great weeks stay at Venus Inn and would gladly go back. Gippy is a friendly, welcoming and excellent host.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Northern_dogstar
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My fiancée and I had a brilliant time in the Venus Inn. We saw the brilliant reviews on Trip advisor so decided to go with this one. We stayed for 6 nights, one of which was spent at our friends' wedding in Positano.

Nothing was too much trouble for the charismatic owner, Gippy, both before and during our trip. Our room was large, clean, had a private balcony, sea view and air-conditioning. We would recommend it to anyone and would certainly go back. We wish we were there now!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BenJenkins
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Venus Inn is a very good reason why to return to Positano! We spent only 2 days in Venus Inn but surely we will return! The B&B is centrally located still silent as it is not on the main road, the rooms are spacious and clean, all with balcony and the view is amazing! Not to mention the owner whose kindness and hospitality also helped a lot to feel comfortable from the first moment. Can hardly wait to visit again this place!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family