“Gorgeous Views, peaceful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Marincanto

Hotel Marincanto
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Positano
San Francisco
“Gorgeous Views, peaceful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

This hotel was just what we were looking for in a our 4 day stay in Positano. Its situated at the top of the hill so it s removed from the crowds of the lower beach. Its easy to get from the hotel to the beach (a few hundred stairs take you down) and its worth being up that high for the views. Every morning we opened our shutters to the ocean below and went to sleep to the sound of the waves hitting the shore. Great breakfast, extremely friendly service. Would go back in a minute.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank encapsul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

We spent 5 days at this hotel on our honeymoon. It was perfect. We stayed in Room 211, with a jacuzzi with a water view and a private balcony. We were kind of annoyed that the bed was two twins beds not queen size, especially since I specifically asked before we booked the room, but we weren't so put off by it that we switched rooms. The hotel was very clean, we always had lots of towels, the cleaning service came through twice a day and left us chocolates on our pillows. We were able to use the mini fridge to store some wine and snacks so we could enjoy our balcony. We were also frustrated that they didn't provide an iron and we had to really fight for it to get the use of it. They wanted us to send our clothes out to a service to iron at about 5 euros per item of clothing. Fortunately, they finally did agree. The breakfast at the hotel was very nice, we were definitely full until lunch time. We used their lounge chairs quite a bit, but we wish we could have enjoyed the beach a bit more, the weather didn't cooperate. The stairs down to the beach were definitely very steep and very hard, but completely worth it. We walked every where, never rented a car or anything, and it was fine. We did accept the hotel's offer to get us a driver to and from the airport, and it was a great decision. On the way to the hotel, she stopped and got us a bottle of wine and a pizza since we hadn't had any dinner on the plane. So thoughtful!

We didn't get a chance to really explore anything else in Positano or nearby because it rained every single day except one. We wanted to go to Capri, but the water was really rough. We spent a lot of time reading, napping, relaxing, enjoying the view and each other. It was perfect for a honeymoon.

Restaurants to Try: I lived in the North End of Boston (Boston's Little Italy) for 5 years, so I was extremely spoiled with Italian food, so take my reviews/suggestions with a grain of salt.
We had the best pizza at Valle Dei Mullini. Truly amazing.
We also really like Buca di Bacco. It was right on the beach, and was so good. I was still in love with Italian pizza (had some every day I was there!) and it was good, but as good as Valle Dei Mullini. My husband had the lasagna and it was excellent.
We got bread, cheese, sliced prosciutto, olives, eggplant, etc. from the Delikatessen in town. It was great. We took our bounty to the beach and had lunch there.
We ate at Ristorante Max, which was pricey, but good. My pasta was very salty though. Our dessert was amazing, the wine was good, the atmosphere is amazing. It's really beautiful, I would recommend it for a nice evening out.
Our last night we took the long walk to Lo Guaraccino. It was good, but also salty. My husband didn't love his, he got the fish special. The gelato that we got on the way home was a huge hit though.
We had an excellent meal at this little restaurant that is located on the right hand side of the street when you walk from Hotel Marincanto to town on the long main road. I didn't write down the name of it, but it is very close to the hotel, and there is outdoor seating on the left hand side of the road. My husband had the gnocchi with seafood which was delicious.
We went to La Zagara for dessert and coffee. We had the chocolate cake, which was a little dry, but our coffees were good.
We also got a lot of wine at the convenience store across from the hotel. It was soooo cheap and we'd take it down to the beach and have it with our lunch.
We did go to the one nightclub in town that's right on the beach, and close to the hotel. I don't remember what it is called. It wasn't a hot scene by any means. When we went there were all ages- from little kids to grandmothers there. But we still had fun. Our drinks were strong, the club itself is built into the rocks and is definitely something to check out if you have a free night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank newlyweds524
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

My partner and I spent 4 lovely nights at Marincanto and loved it! The views from our balcony were fantastic and from the terrace at breakfast. It was just a short down hill walk into the main shops area or down the stairs to the beach. We found the reception staff to be very friendly and helpful, they made reccomendations for restaurants and day trips. Franco and Oolericho (sorry if spelt incorrectly) made some fabulous reccomendations and ensured we enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was fantastic too!Loved Marincanto.

1 Thank Travel2Melbourne
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

Of my 6 nights on the Amalfi coast, I did my first 2 in Positano at Hotel Maricanto. Again, based on the TA reviews and the photos I saw. We were lucky enough to have picture postcard PERFECT weather so the view from our room was unsurpassed. Actually, I could not believe the size of our terrace. It was literally about as wide as my kitchen. Nothing but the gorgeous sea before us. For views, it doesn't get any better than this. Now, about the room. We had an odd, unexpected setup where our room was really more like an apartment. Don't know how we scored that, but it was HUGE! Two bathrooms, even. The room had a slightly musty smell, but I just figured it was the humidity being so close to the sea. I did not care because the view was the reason I was there. I could have sat on the terrace all day and just stared! I should mention that the hotel has on site parking, which was another must for me. To get to our room, we did have to climb many steps, so be prepared for that. I was in awe of the woman who carried our bags to our room because they were heavy and the steps were steep and numerous, but she did it with a smile. This hotel was also good for walking into the main part of town to do tons of shopping and to get to the restaurants.

1 Thank LTKING
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights on a friend's recommendation and it was amazing. Beautiful hotel, amazing service and views....terrace area for breakfast and drinks is breathtaking. It's somewhat high up but that's Positano - any closer to the center of town would be too crowded - this is the perfect distance up. Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

1 Thank FMBurns1
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

We spent the last two nights of our honeymoon in Italy at this hotel and I am sorry we did. We spent twelve days in Italy in September of 2009 for our honeymoon. We booked two nights in a superior double room @ $260.00 euro per night. I booked this room after personally corresponding with the hotel and getting a full description of the room and its ammenities and explaining to them that this was our honeymoon. We arrived at the hotel around 3:30 PM and were immediately greeted with " oh our reservation dept. seems to have made an error. " We do not have the room you booked so we'll put you in a junior suite for tonight and we'll move you tomorrow. I have a few problems with this. First,I booked this room four months in advance.... Second the room they called a junior suite matched the description of the superior double that I had in hand ( a copy of the email. ) Third, I want to relax and do what I want to do while on vacation..... Not worry about switching rooms and adjusting my schedule around that. Fourth, the jacuzzi tub didn't even work... The desk clerk was smug and inconsiderate and I believe that they just didn't want to rent me the room I had booked at the rate I had booked it at. As it turns out, I didn't have to switch rooms ( a fact I believe only transpired because I had the written copies of all correspondence in hand ) but still had to worry about it until after 10AM on the second day. While I was at the desk negotiating my issues there was another man there trying to sort out why the a/c in his two bedroom unit wasn't working and they were running him in circles and less than honest with him also.. Save yourself some headaches and stay somewhere else.

3 Thank premnusb
Wirral, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed at the Marincanto for a week in August, what an amazing location, fabulous friendly staff especially the waitresses at breakfast. A little disapointed with the view from the balcony slightly blocked from the building in front, but still amazing views of Prianao and Positano. Would recommend this hotel to couples who want to be close enough to the hustle and bustle of the town but far enough away for peace and quiet in the evening.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple