“Excellent experience! ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence La Dolce Vita

Residence La Dolce Vita
“Excellent experience! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Maryse (the owner) was wonderful and went out of her way to accommodate us! The room we had had a beautiful balcony with beach view and was great to wake up to every morning. It was a two minute walk to the beach and 10 minute walk into town. It was also the cheapest place we could find, great value for money! I would recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing holiday.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Combines perfect mix of quiet seclusion overlooking private beach, yet just minutes from main centre by lovely cliff side walk. A small hotel of only 4 rooms I think, I had it to myself for most of the week. The owners live there, and were most hospitable and friendly, even giving me an apartment with larger balcony due to a cancellation. Spotlessly clean, with well-appointed bathrooms and very comfortable beds in both rooms I stayed in. Internet access was a little problematic at times, and I sometimes had to move about and rejoin the network etc, but it was always possible to go to the breakfast room down the hall, where coverage was always 100%.
The view from all of the rooms is gorgeous, looking out over the beach into a small cove framed by the cliffs jutting out into the sea on either side, with the excellent restaurant (see tips) directly below. A section of the cliff path to the town centre and main beach can be seen from the balcony, as well as the lovely sight of massive lemons growing in the owners garden, overhanging one of the apartments.
The apartments are just a small number of steps - maybe 30-40 - above the beach.
The price you pay for seclusion in such a location is that if you want to get to your car park - yes, I hired a car and drove from Naples - you have a stiff walk up steep steps, which takes about 10-12 minutes, but is not for the infirm. To be fair though, any accommodation in Positano suffers the same balance: the closer to sea level you are, the further you are from roads with access for cars/buses etc, as the roads loop away some height above the beach. Help was provided with luggage, both on arrival and departure, but if you've got young kids or older or immobile members of your party, getting around from here might be an issue.
Also, breakfast is rather limited, but as this was my first time in Italy (ashamed to say) I cannot reliably compare it, but its a much lighter breakfast than I would be used to at home or in say Spain, but more like the French. Speaking of food, there is no 'in-house' restaurant, but directly below, on the steps to the beach, is a really good and reasonably priced seafood restaurant.
Overall highly recommended. I could, and may well return next year.

Restaurant Pupetto, directly below hotel on way to beach, was the best restaurant I ate in. It was also the best value! It was three days in, after walking through this restaurant on my way to eat in the town, that I finally decided to stop on my way through. What a good move! I cannot comment on meat dishes, as i didn't have any, but the seafood was excellent, and I ended up eating here on three occasions, and I only had seven days, so that says something.
Grilled sea bream in a beachfront restaurant you expect to be great, but their seafood linguine, salt-baked red snapper, and absolute revelation, their mixed seafood soup (more of a casserole with squid, whole prawns, clams, mussels, sardine and salmon cutlets, with a drizzle of tomato-based sauce with croutons) was spectacular. House white best (and again cheapest) house wine I came across.
I did eat in Da Vincense, most highly rated on lots of review sites, and it was fine, but Pupetto for me blew all opposition away, on all main categories: food quality, value, service (very helpful, welcoming waiters), and location on beach nice too.
Can also recommend Wine Dark House in town centre beside church, for daytime lunch etc. Also, for excellent value good quality snacks (delicious pizza slices, cakes, drinks etc) overlooking main beach, Paradise is informal self-service bar style cafe.

Souvenir shopping: make sure item youre given matches item displayed !!!
La Saracena, a shop on the seafront, might have been given the benefit of the doubt for overlooking inclusion of the cork stopper (included with display model) in the olive oil dispenser I bought, but they'd have trouble offering that defence for omitting the printed "Positano" motif (again on display model) from the bag that I bought for my daughter!

Transport: driving was a bit of a hassle, to be honest. If you want to get about, there is a pretty good local Sita bus service, connecting local towns, including the likes of Amalfi, a little further away, but check bus service while you're there before you commit to a trip: I got ferry to Amalfi, planning to bus back to Bomerano and do the 'walk of the gods' from there back to Nocelle, then bus back to Positano. Had great day on ferry and in Amalfi (well worth the trip, check out cathedral), only to find notorious busmen on strike!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Gerry K
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is an excellent place to stay on the Amalfi cost. Run by a very nice, friendly couple, each room has a balcony with an amazing view. The rooms are clean and tidy and each room a little different. Right next to the beach and approx. 10 mins to the main part of town. We would recommend this to everybody!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charlie B
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently took a girl trip to Italy with two of my friends and my stay here was the best part of my trip. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable for three people and the views were spectacular. We arrived by ferry and the B&B was just a short walk from the beach. Unfortunately, we took the long way to get there and were tired from hauling our luggage all the way up to the road and down again. When we made it to La Dolce, Vincento opened a bottle of wine for us and took our bags up the steps to our room. Both Vincento and Marissa were so nice and enjoyed visiting with them. I will definitely be staying there again on my next trip to Positano. Our stay was amazing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan C
Edina, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My fiance and I had a wonderful time staying at the La Dolce Vita for 4 nights in September. The views are spectacular and the B&B is a short walk from the beach. The hotel is situated in a bay just next to the main village of Positano but the walk between the two is a lovely coastal path with stunning views. The rooms are nicely decorated and very up-to-date. The owners are very hospitable and made our breakfast each morning. We highly recommend the B&B.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emma C
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

La Dolce Vita was one of the most amazing places I have ever stayed. With absolutely spectacular views over the water, a very short walk down to the beach, a short walk up to the main road, and incredible, spacious, luxurious apartment-style rooms, I would recommend this place to anyone, 100%, you will not regret it. Marie was such a character, she always brightened the day, and made breakfast interesting and a crack-up. I will be back, ASAP!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at La Dolce Vita in Positano and we absolutely loved it. Our room was very spacious with a lovely balcony overlooking the sea. It was very clean and well stocked with a safe and fridge. Maryse and her husband were very hospitable and we were rewarded after our trek with our luggage down the steps from the car park with a cold beer from Maryse! The hotel is situated in a bay just next to the main village of Positano but the walk between the two is a lovely coastal path with stunning views. We had a wonderful stay and want to thank Maryse and her husband!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple