“Good value for us”

Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Richmond, MN
“Good value for us”
Reviewed November 10, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights and were pleased overall with the room, the breakfast and the staff. We did have to go to the lobby and get the remotes for the TV and the Heat/AC (we did not need AC due to the season) and they asked us to pay in cash upon leaving, but the price they offered was considerably lower than other hotels. Please be advised they did not offer Internet service (either for a fee or included), but since we were on our honeymoon we didn't much care.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Turkish first
Phila PA
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Horrible, Locked in at night NO AIR CONDITIONING!
August 2008 our family had three terrific weeks in Italy and three horrible days at Hotel Gabbiano in Positano.
We’ve been to Positano before and were looking forward to good food and scenery. We were with traveling with our family my wife’s sister’s family of four and two other cousins. I booked the hotel after reading its reviews online. I was clean and did have a great view, but that is about it. The first issue we found was the air conditioning in the rooms basically blew warm air! The lobby air conditioner was colder than ours and so was our family’s in other rooms.
After finally getting someone to look at it, we were told that it was the best it could do! Image that! The room was incredibly hot. We slept with the windows open (no screens) and had swarms of mosquitoes in our room. The TV also did not work, they are completely hung up on remotes (air & TV) and keep them at the front desk. Were you have to go to get them.
Now the most unbelievable thing, our cousins went to jog at 6am and found out that there was a iron gate that was closed and locked at the top of the stairs ( which was the lobby, we were 3 floors down) locking us in and the elevator was turned off. On the gate was a note saying to push button on wall in case of emergency and someone will come.
Well in case you haven’t guessed, she pushed it 5 times and no one came. At 7 O’clock the gates unlock and she asked the front
desk only to have an unresolved conversation with them. There answer is that between 2am and 6am the front desk person takes a nap
if you need to get out push the button an someone will come to let you out. If there was a fire or any other emergency no one could get out.
The stupidity of the entire hotel staff and the owners is beyond belief. I will never stay at this hotel again an will tell anyone who asks what we encountered. My wife was born in Italy, she has a large family there, we own a summer home there. We often go to Positano, BUT WILL NEVER go back nor recommend the dump of this hotel.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank AngeloA

Travelers are raving about these Positano hotels

Virginia
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Gabbianos after my wedding. The staff was very helpful and kind. The views of the ocean were awesome. Also there are a number of excellent places to eat a short walk awy. The staff help coordinate day trips for my family who stayed at the hotel during my wedding. One side of the hotels has views of the sea the other side has views of the sea a castle and farmland.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Stayed here for one night with 4 adults.

The room was a great size and had a/c and televison. I did however have to go to reception to ask for the remote controls as they aren't left in the room.

There was fantastic view of the ocean from the terrace off the room.

Breakfast was fairly ordinary. Would have been better if they provided none.

I had to pay 12 euro for overnight parking which was ok but the car had to be removed at the same time of checking out which was 11am. This was annoying as I had intended on spending the rest of the day there and driving on later in the day.

The hotel is located almost at the top of the hill and it was a easy walk down but a difficult walk back up 8-10 minutes climbing stairs.

Value for money is poor. It was 230 euro for one night for 4 adults. If I went back to Positano I would look for somewhere else to stay

Also as someone else mentioned it is cash only.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Location and staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank 1uke
sydney
Reviewed June 16, 2007

My wife and I have just returned from our honeymoon in Italy and were looking forward to our stay in Positano. We had booked the Gabbiano at the recommendation of a Qantas Holidays representative, spending 120 euros per night.

After a days travelling from Florence, we arrived exhausted at the Gabbaino and hoped to check in early for a hot shower. On requesting this the lady at reception flew into a rage and screamed at us insisting that we pay for the early check-in. Her verbal tirade continued for 15 mins after which time my usually unshakeable wife left in tears. In a state of shock we checked into another hotel for the night and attempted to contact our travel agent to see if we could get a refund. Unfortunately as the room had been pre-paid this was not an option, so rather than forgo all our nights we returned the next day.

My wife and I have stayed around the world in a variety of hotels and B&Bs and was shocked by the overall standard of the Gabbiano. The 'hotel' is family owned and it is obvious the owners have lost the passion for their business - doing the bare minimum to continue operating. The 'buffet breakfast' consisted of a stale croissant and coffee that was made using the same grinds for each cup (we saw this was the case !). The bathrooms were tiny and flooded every time the shower was used, and I was covered head to toe in bed bug bites after the first nights sleep. The upside - the views were incredible, but on the Amalfi you'll get these wherever you stay.

Do yourself a favour and don't stay at the Gabbiano !!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the surly staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank hankey
Leicester UK
Reviewed September 27, 2005

This has got to be one of the poorest value for money hotels I have visited in 40 years of travel to continental Europe. £95.00/night for a double room B&B. To be fair, the welcome was very friendly and our room was spacious with a balcony overlooking the sea. The next day however we were told that we would have to move to another room as ours was for a couple with two children and there were only two of us. We were "moved" while we were out during the day. Our new room was much smaller with very little storage space. The view was still the same, a wonderful panorama over the Positano Bay. However, we soon discovered that the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor and at the end of using it there was 10cm of dirty water in the shower tray. The basin also did not run out. The use of my Leatherman Wave multitool enabled me to get the shower to run out but it still leaked over the floor. Linen was replaced irregularly and we had the same filthy soaking wet bath mat for the whole week. The cleaner was poor but she did put the bath mat out in the sun to dry - OK 'till it rained.
Breakfasts were fair. The coffee was good but this is the first time in 40 years I have had orange squash rather than juice for breakfast. Sadly we were obliged to stay for the whole booked week or we would have moved on. The final straw was a demand to settle the bill in cash. No cards were acceptable. Is this a fiddle? I shall not return.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank JohnGLeics
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 24, 2004

As a lady travelling on my own in May, I was made most welcome at this family run small hotel. Not luxurious by any means, more like a very good guest house, but the room was a clean good size with nicely tiled bathroom and wonderful view. I had a balcony but some rooms had a good terrace for sunbathing. Basic breakfast but all that was needed. The hotel is situated nearer the top of Positano, but the bus stops outside to take you down to the beach and town centre. You can walk and it takes 10 minutes. The beach is via steps, which is fine going down but coming back up is a pretty tough walk.
If you walk 5 mins up the road you join the main Amalfi Coast Road and the nearest bus stop.. handy for touring the coast. Perfect for those who dont want to pay a fortune.

• Stayed May 2004