All reviews fornillo beach main beach private terrace amalfi coast the bus rooms are basic main positano minute walk smaller beach a great place to stay family restaurant town centre spiaggia grande beautiful view path of the gods carlo fridge
Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

We spent five nights at Pensione Maria Luisa in June 2018, and had a wonderful time! We enjoyed the location on the west side of town, which is the lower-cost, less-crowded side of Positano.

There are two beaches in Positano: the main Grande beach, and the smaller, less-crowded Furnillo beach. The main hub of touristic shops and restaurants are located just above the Grande beach (east side of town). The west side of town above Furnillo is less crowded and has less shops and restaurants. However, Positano is a very touristy town, and there are shops, restaurants and tourists everywhere. Maria Luisa is located 450 stairs above the Furnillo Beach, and about 30 stairs below the main road through town. We enjoyed the quieter location and the lower cost. Also, we enjoy walking a lot during our vacations, and we’re not bothered at all by all the stairs... in fact we enjoyed the exercise if enjoying Positano.

The owner (Carlo) and his staff are charming, friendly and helpful! We stayed in the main level, and had a town / partial sea view. We would recommend the upper floor rooms with full sea view, but none were available during our stay.

The Pensione is an old home that has been refurbished as a small, family owned Pensione. We should also note that they have a terrace on the to floor with a beautiful view if Positano and the sea... we sat up there several times during our stay.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2018

The location was OK but the size and condition of the room did not merit the high cost charged. The Pensione needs serious renovation - in the small room that we had, the wash hand basin was cracked and the plastic shower curtain was incapable of containing the flow of water. The breakfast on offer was very basic, nothing cooked and the only fresh thing was the bread.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed May 21, 2018

Very basic hotel. A long way up from the sea and town. Don't bother with breakfast it was terrible. The resident flies in the foyer were really unpleasant. Dragging cases from the taxi to the hotel up and down stairs and cobblestones and then up the narrowest stairs at the hotel was anything but pleasant. We wont be coming back.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kaseem
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I have stayed at this hotel the last 3 times that I have visited Positano and will be staying there again this summer. Each experience has been wonderful!
Signor Carlo and his staff are friendly and very helpful. Signor Carlo is full of passion for his town and takes great pride in his hotel.
The location is perfect, with incredible views of the town and the sea! I have stayed in different rooms each time and have always had a pleasant experience. If the rooms with a private balcony are sold out, there is a terrace for all guests to use with a spectacular view and there is rarely anyone up there. You will have to walk up the town to get to the hotel, which makes it perfectly situated in between the main beach as well as Fornillo (the smaller beach). It is also close to some amazing restaurants, which also have excellent food and wonderful service.
If I could give this a higher rating, I would. It truly is lovely.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carmela I
Reviewed January 18, 2018

As my title says, I've stayed here 5 times - first time back in 2012. This was my longest stay here - I stayed a week - and loved every last second.
Carlo, as always, was a wonderful host - he shared many stories about Positano with me and we sampled some of his home-made wine - which was very good. The Pensione is one of the first hotels in Positano and dates back to the 1940s - (ask him to show you photos of his family from back in those days).
I was not in a terrace room this time but it didn't matter as I just used the communal terrace - no one was ever out there and it has expansive views along the coast to Salerno. I was in room 1 - which is on the same level as the terrace rooms. My window looked up the escarpment at Positano's sherbet coloured houses - so no complaints from me about that view.
Since my last visit in 2015, Carlo has added air conditioning to his rooms - which I didn't use but I imagine it would be a godsend in July/August. There is also a new mini market opened just past Saraceno D'Oro (Carlo's family own this restaurant) so it's a very short walk to pick up some essentials like milk, potato chips, cheese, wine and breakfast items to keep in the fridge.
For the price and the location, you simply can't beat this lovely place. I will return again soon.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled solo