“Absolutely brilliant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Sydney, Australia
“Absolutely brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our family had the most ideal stay at Hotel Posa Posa - the service was impeccable - Guiseppe, Lucia, Maria -Teresa - were exceptionally warm and attentive to our every need. The room was perfectly decorated with a coastal theme,fresh and clean. The view from our room was unbelievably spectacular. Breakfasts and dinners on the outdoor terrazza were so enjoyable. As the sun went down and Positano lit up - it was completely magical and breathtaking. The meals and service were outstanding - we had dinner there each night as view cannot be beaten. We even had TV set up for Euro cup viewing. THe atmosphere was exciting as Positano celebrated Italy's win that night against England. The staff at Posa Posa were like family - a very warm and special place that made our stay in Positano so memorable. We intend to come back and stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana1010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Posa Posa for 3 nights early July. The hotel staff and view are absolutely top notch. The location is about a ten minute walk to the beach but it is a walk you WANT TO TAKE because there are so many nice shops and restaurants along the way...just take the bus back!!! The terrible reviews clearly have an axe to grind. It isn't a 5 star hotel -no - but this hotel is more than adequate. I too am a frequent traveller and unlike the people who said it was horrific (that is dishonest) I found it to be a nice spot: yes the bedspreads are outdated and the pool is smaller than I expected but I tell you...the view and staff made up for it. There are a few rooms where the view might be obstructed by a tree (I think only our room (104) on first floor would have a terrific few of both mountains and sea) but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor may be obstructed by tree.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

I just got back from a 6 night stay in Positano at the Posa Posa hotel. When we checked into the hotel I was hesitant given what seemed to be a long bus ride from the main square and the lack luster lunch we had while waiting for our room to be ready. However, the 10min walk to a quieter beach (500 steps so be ready to climb back up) and 15min walk to the main shopping/restaurant area proved to be actually pleasant. We had the best of both worlds in a quiet hotel with excellent staff. If I went back I would likely look for a hotel closer to the main beach, but enjoyed the 6 nights we stayed at this hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rissa0713
Orleans, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We fell in love with Positano as soon as we saw it and the same was true of the Hotel Posa Posa. Their biggest asset is Giuseppe, who welcomes all the guests, takes them to their room, and then gives them a tour of the facilities. We had dinner at the restaurant the first night we were there. Giuseppe said he would have the best table ready for us whenever we got there. It was perfect! The restaurant is on the 4th floor and the best table is on the terrace looking out over the sea and up the hill to the town. As the lights came on up and down the hills and coast, it was like being in a beautiful fairy land. Adding to the fun was the Euro 2012 soccer match. Every time Italy scored we could hear the cheering from the restaurants down the street. Breakfast at the hotel is excellent and made so enjoyable by Lucia. She, like Giuseppe, was on site most of the time. Always ready with a smile and some lively conversation, she is a lovely addition to the experience. Our room, a junior suite, was great. Our balcony overlooked the street and bus stop, as well as the sea, so there was always something happening. We spent four wonderful nights at this hotel and would recommend it without reservation.

Brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a room for seven nights full of anticipation having read reviews and looking at website photos. We booked between Friday the 15th - 22nd June, however only stayed one night. It was an absolute nightmare… We will never forget the horrible experience.

I originally called the hotel directly to ask questions about the hotel, its location and proximity to the beach. Our main priority was that we were to be close to the beach and we really wanted to stay in a nice hotel. The photos on the internet looked great, pool looked big and plenty of room to lay around and it was 4 stars. I read some of the reviews on tripadvisdor, and the reviews “surprisingly” seemed to be pretty good. I called the hotel directly two weeks prior just to confirm everything and that is was close to the beach and that everything was ok for our arrival – The gentleman at reception reassured me that it was 5 mins stroll to the beach and it is one of the best hotels in Positano. After traveling for the prior 2.5 weeks we arrived in Positano which we had booked accommodation at Hotel Posa Posa for seven days only to arrive to an absolute horror. I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in numerous 3, 4 and 5 star hotels and this is defiantly not a 4 star hotel, it would be 2.5 star at best, charging 4 star prices. We first arrived to the front reception to check in - The lady on front reception asked if we would like to pay up front or at the end of our stay, we confirmed at the end of our stay and were escorted to our hotel room where our issues started.

- Our room smelt badly like cigarette smell.
- The blankets and bed sheets smelt of cigarettes.
- Bedspread and room was very old and dated – Made us both extremely itchy.
- There were flies all in the room.
- WIFI did not work, they charge you 10€ for it.
- No sound proofing walls - We could hear absolutely everything in the hall way and were constantly woken up by the restaurant dragging the tables and chairs across the ground above our hotel room (we have recorded proof of this).
- Pool looked nothing like the picture – It was a joke. Old fiberglass mould about 0.5 meters deep and was a disgrace.
- 20mins to the beach after being told it’s a short 5 minute walk when we called to enquiry about the hotel. If you want to be close to the beach, do not stay here.
- Extremely rude service by reception staff when we complained they did not care and laughed in our face ( literally ).

After voicing our concerns at reception, the gentleman laughed at us. We then told them that we have decided to leave and that we would only pay for the one night we stayed. The next morning, the girl at reception said “Ok then, you can leave”. The minute we left, my credit card was charged AUD$2,500, without my consent. We feel completely cheated and feel that what they did to us was criminal. I will be taking this further.

We researched and found another Hotel Covo Dei Saraceni which is a 4-5 star hotel right on the beach literally you step out the front door and you are on the beach for 100€ less per night. Hotel Posa Posa is a complete a rip off. The website photos are not accurate, the reviews must have been falsely written by the hotel and the staff are dishonest and they will just charge our credit card and rip you off.

My sincere recommendation - DO NOT STAY at Hotel Posa Posa. You can find MUCH better hotels closer to the beach and for 100€ less per night. They are a complete rip off and dishonest. Please read all of the other ‘poor and Terrible’ reviews before booking this horrendous hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel
11 Thank Mattlanc
washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am reviewing this based on the hotel and our experience itself. I feel like i should be giving it a 4 out of 5 because the cost to experience ratio was rather high (it was really expensive). We spent far more on this hotel than our usual amount, which made our experience that much better (about $470/night!), but I would hope that for that much money you would have a fabulous experience. I think partially because we spent so much money we were treated like gold. From the moment we walked in the owner/main manager (Mary Teressa?) was over the top helpful, gracious, and welcoming. Also, we were traveling with our 6 month old who also attracted more than the usual positive attention (a good thing). We were given what very well could be their best room. By European (and especially Positano) standards it was large and we had an absolutely enormous balcony. The room and hotel were spotless. I read some of the reviews of how the room or hotel seemed dirty and I can honestly say I have no idea what they are talking about. This was the cleanest most well run place we stayed in in Italy. The view from our room (as you look at the hotel, the top right corner) was out of this world...mountains, sea, town, night lights, all fantastic. The breakfast was standard, basically the same as anywhere, but did include a freshly made egg (scrambled, fried, etc...). The difference is that it's on the 4th floor terrace with a great view of the city, but also under cover so you don't have to be in the hot morning sun. We ate at the restaurant our first night and it was very good, not excellent, but again the difference is the location (beautiful, however there are better), and the personalities of the staff made it very fun. At one point the staff took our son in his stroller and rolled him around the hotel to help him fall asleep while we ate in peace. This was priceless! (Giuseppe is one of the most personable, fun, hotel employees, waiters, guest service people I have ever met, he's wonderful). It feels like private dining as I think the restaurant is frequently not crowded. There are a number of other wonderful positano restaurants in the close vicinity (no transportation needed) that are also wonderful including Ristorante Saraceno D'Oro which has great take out pizza and was fun to take back to our room with a great view. A couple things to know about this place. Yes, there is a rooftop lounge/sun bathing area with what amounts to a really large hot tub for a pool (that is not heated and somewhat cool/cold, no real swimming, it's shallow and small), so if you're room does not have a view, this would be a nice alternative (there is a great view from the roof). However, due to the hotel's location, there is no direct sun on the roof after about 1pm in June, so if you are looking for sun bathing, you'll have to walk elsewhere. This was a great thing for us, as we found the sun to be too hot and it was nice to be able to be on our balcony in the afternoon without the direct hot sun. The parking is nice in that it's about 50 yards up hill from the hotel and they valet directly to the front of the hotel, but it is a bit expensive at about 17 euros a day. Also, access to the rest of the city is not direct. What's nice is that the internal Positano bus route stops right in front of the hotel, this is a great way to get around town, although not super time efficient, the bus is somewhat slow and has to follow a circuitous route around town to get to places. Walking to the center of town and the beach is probably close to a mile in distance and about 20 minutes down hill and probably 30 or so minutes up hill. This is a substantial hill. You can take the "express" stairs down to the beach in about 10 minutes, but coming up the 250 or so stairs will make you sweat. The trade off is the views. Other hotels that are closer to the beach don't have the great sweeping view of the city, mountains, valley, but you are closer to the center of town. I think Posa Posa's location in mid-town is a nice compromise between having to walk to the beach, but having a great view. Some people would likely find the location a bit of a drag due to the difficulties with access to things. In the end, I would highly recommend this hotel for people who want to pay extra for a very nice room and for people who are more active and don't mind a bit of a walk to all the things that Positano has to offer (again it's really only 10-15 minutes to most things and you'll want to work off all the seafood and pasta you'll be eating here anyway, besides walking around town is beautiful).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank snowseekerWA
NorthCarolinaUSA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for five nights in May. I hired a driver to meet us at the Naples train station and transfer us to the door of the hotel so that we would not have to handle our luggage from the water (arrival by ferry). As noted by other folks that made reviews, the beach is a brief 15 minute walk, but it is up hill. There is an area where automobiles cannot drive and other reviews warned that it would not have been enjoyable to bring luggage up the walk from the beach. We were very happy the entire stay with the hotel, the staff, the food, and the location. Upon our arrival, Guisippe left us on the terrace to enjoy the view. When he quickly returned, he presented us with beautiful long stemmed roses. Then we enjoyed a delicious lunch overlooking the town and the sea. I will try to post pictures to show that the view of the water is not 180 degrees, but limited by the location of the property. We liked the view and the location, especially when we became familiar with the town. Walking was not a difficulty, but rather enjoyable as we passed various restaurants, hotels, and shops below the hotel. We are both used to walking and had comfortable shoes. We did venture above the hotel, but our favorite places to return to were below. Our hotel could have scheduled cooking classes for us, but we had reservations for two classes when we arrived. Our room was number 603. The room was large with a private terrace. We did not have a complaint. Everyone wanted to make sure we were happy on the property during our entire stay. The breakfast had plenty of selection and also, as mentioned by others, the staff always offered to prepare some other items. The front desk clerk came to our room to show us how to search for the English television channels after I phoned for a list of numbers. Another evening when we arrived after dining out at another restaurant, we were encouraged to go out onto the restaurant terrace to listen to the live music entertainment of the evening. We were not interested in a swimming pool and only after our return home did we wonder if the small pool was the only one on the property. The Hotel Posa Posa did not lack anything that we expected. I paid for the quality I anticipated and my daughter and I were happy with the specific room mentioned above. Since there is a mountain wall (looking out of the hotel terrace) to the right, I would prefer a room in the middle or to the left to ensure more view of the sea with the town. Elderly or impaired folks should investigate their specific needs in selecting any of the hotels we saw due to the terrain of Positano.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family