“Exactly ! Cheapest way to be in Paradise !!!”
Review of Ostello Brikette

Ostello Brikette
Ranked #36 of 38 Hotels in Positano
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We booked for 3 nights and we coudn't avoid staying 2 more !!
Positano is one of the best places on earth and Ostello Brikette allowed us to enjoy it and make our stay wonderful. Cheap prices, clean and simple rooms. Nice and helful owner and employees. It is up the hill but the way is sooo beautiful, its a pleasure to go up and down everyday :) + there's a bus stop right there + cheaper food stores around.
Breakfast is not very good but if you love coffee and good corneti you can have delicious ones at "bar international" , down the street by the bus stop.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank CaroBA
There are newer reviews for Ostello Brikette

Reviewed July 28, 2008

I have just returned from a week on the Amalfi Coast with 4 nights in Sorrento and 3 nights in Positano. Upon arriving at this hostel you think it is wonderful - amazing views and a beautiful big terrace... that is until you meet the staff. Two women recently took over the management of this hostel in March and if they continue to be as rude and unhelpful as they were to us then I wouldn't be surprised if they are out of business very soon - I would recommend you find a pensione to stay in rather than here. The first fellow travellers we met as we walked in the door said to us to turn around and find somewhere else to stay and we should have taken their advice!

Firstly, we had booked through a hostel website where we had already paid a deposit. The owners refused to acknowledge this deposit and forced us to pay the full amount again.

Our room had an amazing terrace off it but we were not allowed to bring any of our own food or drink onto it, we couldn't even buy a drink at their bar and take it onto our room terrace! (Not sure exactly why you would have a terrace if you can't have a glass of wine and watch the sun set on it.) There are no kitchen facilities available.

When we booked we were told that breakfast and internet were included. When we arrived we found that internet was 2 euro for 15 minutes and we had to pay for breakfast (apparently the previous owners used to do a big home cooked breakfast - don't believe any of this anymore!)

When we asked for information about buses to other parts of the Amalfi Coast we were told blatantly wrong information about where to catch buses from, how long they would take and what time they would leave - when we arrived back and told them what the right information was and suggested it might be better that they say "I don't know" rather than give wrong information we were told that "You shouldn't trust anyone if you are trying to get somewhere at a certain time"!

It is such a pity that a great hostel in a beautiful location is being run into the ground by the new management. Please don't stay here if you want a pleasant vacation.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank katepw
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I'm suprised to see several negative comments about this hostel. I went to Positano for my oldest son's wedding last April and I stayed at this hostel. It was the highlight of my entire adventure in Italy. Although I originally booked a womens Dorm room, I "upgraded" to a private bedroom and bathroom for about $20.00 extra/night and it was GREAT! The upstairs room and private bathroom was extremely clean and cozy, with no smells of any kind. Our private balcony was to die for! All of the people I met were wonderful and very pleased with everything. The owner, Christiana was just wonderful. She was cheerful, incredibly helpful and really went the extra mile to make my stay fabulous. The meals were inexpensive and light. Great coffee in the morning. After several days, we then went to Rome where we'd booked a private apartment, but in my opinion, the experience I had at this hostel far outweighed the apartment. Overall, it was the trip of a lifetime, thanks to Christiana and this lovely hostel.

P.S.
When traveling between Naples and Positano, skip the train/bus and take the ferry. It's cheap and fast!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2007

My family of 5, 3 adults and 2 children went on our trip of a lifetime. We got to Positano to check in to the private Apartment with a room across. The hotel had our reservation wrong. But gave us 2 sea terrace rooms. Immed. we noticed a strong sulfur smell from the bathroom coming from the toilet and shower. There is no tv in the rooms or anywhere in the place. Internet was hard to use with staff and DOG interruptions. Alex the dog is a detriment to visitors that dont like barking mean dogs. He growled at us and our kids. Made us feel very unwelcome. The towels are not included you must pa 2 euro per. The breakfast is extra. This hostel apartment was stale and sulfur smelling. We wanted to immed check out . Yes the view is incredible. Maureen the manager was not helpful when we were not happy with accomodations. She refused to work with us to make things right and insisted on making us pay in full. There was NO contract betwen us. She finally made a deal with us to pay 200 euros a night (which was more that we booked at 185 euro) to check out after 2 nights. Later that evening she RENEGED her offer and said she was going to pay in full. At that point we got in a face to face argument and she had checked us out per our agreement and so I didnt feel I needed to listen to her lies any longer. We found a lovely 4star apt. just down the way with a huge pool, tennis court and nice clean accom plus tv oh and free towels at only 160 euro a nite. She is a SCAM artist and liar. Maureen goes back on her promisses. We lost hot water tank useage and was not able to remedy for us. Would not help us. Horrible NEVER go here.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank cruiseangel
Peter C, General Manager at Ostello Brikette, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

This review is dated well before I had any involvement with the Hostel, so I cannot speak to the details of your experience. A couple of things that I should point out, though:

The Hostel does not have TVs, nor have we ever advertised that we do.

You cannot (not in the last 20 years) get a 4 star apartment with a huge pool, tennis court, etc. for five, for 160 euro a night. Such an apartment would cost at least 2,000 euros a night.

Reviewed August 11, 2007

Yes, it's a cheaper option in a notoriously expensive area of the world, but does that really need to come at the expense of hygiene and security?

This hostel has no locks on the dorm doors and no lockers to put your possessions in. A key card system or a simple lock with a key would have stopped the drunk man wearing nothing but underwear who walked into our female dorm at 3am and proceeded to urinate and defecate on the terrace. Nice. Having stayed in many hostels, I know 'things sometimes happen' but having paid money to stay there I would expect to be able to sleep in relative safety. Management were understanding and kicked him out the next day but really, this could have been avoided with a simple door that locks!

Apart from the security issues, this place had the dirtiest, most decrepit showers I have ever seen. I felt dirtier upon leaving the shower than entering. Hair everywhere, brown mud on the floor, no hot water & shower pressure was less than a trickle. The common areas were no cleaner.

I will say the Brikette has a great view from the terrace & is in a good location near the bus stop but that's all it's got going for it! Spend a few euro's extra and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jo_au
Reviewed June 27, 2007

For our stay in Positano in June 2007, I wanted budget accomodation, but didn't want to stay in a dorm room. I booked the Ostello Brikette on the recommendation of a friend who said to make sure we stay in the room with a private bathroom and terrace. That particular room wasn't available, however the room next to it was, which also had the sea-view terrace but a shared bathroom. If you stay there in a double room (i.e. non dorm room) make absolutely sure you get one of these rooms with a view...I saw the room across the hall and it had 2 tiny beds and not even a window, and looked almost like a prison cell. Ours was beautiful in comparison to that one.

Good things: The view from the terrace was amazing, the room was clean and bright and airy, and the place is in an excellent location for hopping onto the bus (The "Bar Internazionale" is a major landmark and bus stop and it's just around the corner).

Neutral things: As some reviewers have mentioned, it's not on the beach, so depending on where you plan to go, be prepared for stairs (we counted 722 steps from the beach). That being said, this is Positano. If you don't like stairs, you may want to choose a different destination. We found the stairs to be a fun challenge. Also if you prefer, you can take the winding road back up (takes longer but easier on the legs), and someone told me that the bus even goes up from the center of town. We didn't spend much time at the beach anyways, because we were more there for hiking and exploring.

Not so good things: Apparently these little ants are indigenous to the area. The hostel staff sprayed for the ants in our room and they never came back inside. But be prepared to see them, no matter where you stay. The worst thing about our stay was the shared bathroom. Of course it is a hostel, so you expect that a shared bathroom might be a bit grubby. But this bathroom was moldy, damp, stinky, and seemed pretty dirty by the end of the day each day. I think there were something like 6 other people sharing it.

Otherwise, it was pretty good. A few mix-ups with our booking, but Cristiana was very accomodating once we talked it over. If you stay there make sure you talk to Cristiana. She was born and raised in Positano and has all kinds of interesting and helpful stories.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ugogurl
Reviewed May 24, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hostel during May 2007. We booked, over the internet, a private room, thinking we were getting a great deal for such an expensive destination. Upon arriving, we were greeted by Christina (the owner) and the filth of reception. After confirming we were staying for 3 nights, she asked us to follow her to our room. She then lead us out the back door of the hostel, across the road, and pointed down a long steep flight of stairs and said that an elderly lady will greet us half way. We had with us a suitcase each, which she was well aware of.

After carrying the suitcases down, what turned out to be 300 odd stairs, we came across the old lady and she took us to this little tiny room.....more like a cave. The room was so small, we could hardly close the door with our suitcases in the room. I knew at this stage, this was NOT what I had booked over the internet. I then went back up the 300 stairs and approached Christina, telling her this was not what I had booked. She then proceeded to tell us that she had overbooked and that this ladies rooms were of the same standard. After several minutes of explaining that we were not impressed that she had not explained the situation, she offered us a dorm room in which only my boyfriend and I would occupy for one night and then she would give us some HUGE upgrade the next two nights, a double room with ocean views.

The dorm room we stayed in was reasonable clean but the share bathrooms were of a very poor standard. Very dirty, showers did not work efficently, and there was a stench of urine throughout the bathrooms and corridors. The next night we moved upstairs to the private double room. This room was worse than downstairs. The room itself smelt old and stale, the bed linen was repulsive, and the room was just plain old dirty. The bathroom upstairs was worse than downstairs, it was so bad, it stank out the entire upper level. Everytime we walked into the corridor, we were greeted with a stench that made us gag.

The staff were unprofessional, complaining to us about other guests in the hostel. Christina's pet dog was constantly running around in and out of people's dorm rooms and witnessed it chewing a guests shoe.

This hostel is in a great location, close to bus stop and has great ocean views. But unfortunately every other aspect of this hostel is terrible and not worth the money paid. We would never stay here again, nor advise anyone to either. We are definately NOT recommending this place to anybody who has level of self hygine.

Im assuming Lonely Planet and Lets Go Travel had their eyes, ears and nose closed when they recommended this place!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple