“Everything and more”

Ranked #36 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Annapolis, Maryland
“Everything and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

The staff was extremely knowledgeable and proactively provided assistance to us. After studying in Rome for 4 months, I had not found better mixed drinks and/or drinks that are more affordable than I did at the bar in Brickette. The wife cooks homemade dinner every night (as an option to avoid going to an overpriced restaurant in the area) for only 3 euro/day and her food is the most authentic Italian dinner you can have. She made an amazing homemade lemon alfredo sauce that night. In addition we also tried her homemade gelato and homemade apple pie which were phenomenal. Again, the owners were great people, extremely friendly, and incredibly helpful. This is a must stay!

Room Tip: It's only 2 euros more per day to stay in a room with a terrace overlooking the water which is b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Peter C, Owner at Ostello Brikette, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your feedback.

It was great to meet you. It was a pleasure to chat with you, and to see you enjoy Positano and the hostel so much.

We hope to see you guys back in the future - until then, we hope you enjoy yourself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Staff very helpful and friendly. They were more than happy to offer advice on where to visit and places to eat. Rooms were fine and clean as were bathrooms. The hostel has a lovely terrace which has an amazing view, perfect for sitting out and relaxing both day and night. Positano itself was a lovely place, admittedly not a great deal to do in the town itself (possibly because of the time of year?) however this was perfect for us for a relaxing break staying somewhere at such a reasonable price. The town has a few shops, brilliant ice-cream :), beach with sun loungers and some lovely buildings. The Hostel is a good base point for visiting Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii which we did. The hostel owners were great in providing advice on where to get buses from and had timetables displayed. Food can be ordered at the hostel for very reasonable prices and is tasty too making it all the better. There is Wi-Fi access as well should you need it. I don't have any complaints about this place. I would stay again and would recommend to my friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank treeCheshire
Strahilovo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here a couple of years ago and nice to be back. Staff really helpful and plenty of help and suggestions about what to do. last time went in August and it was busy, this time it was quiet so help and suggestions were really useful. great views and a good base to travel from.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

Spring was a beautiful time to visit Positano and Hostel Brikette was a great place to stay.
There are amazing views over the town and the bay and the terrace is a great place to sit with a book and a drink from the hostel bar (great prices!).
Breakfast is available i tried different items which were all tasty and good value.
Rooms are fine and the place was really clean. I upgraded to a premium dorm and that was totally worth it for me because i was the only one in the 5 people dorm and i had my own bath and sea view terrace. the hostel was very quiet but i did not mind, the weather was amazing and i spent one of my days on the terrace sunbathing.. i was worried about the lock out, but the owners are soooo nice and they do everything they can to accomodate ;) so they let me stay on the terrace...
all and all positano was great and this place was the best value!!! positano is just stunning and i cannot imagine staying in crappy sorrento and taking the bus for the day- if i did that i would feel cheated!
i also have to say that my stay was probably so good because of the weather.. i can't imagine what is there to do when it rains, but i didn't have to find out. will be back for sure

Room Tip: choose premium dorm, the view is totally worth the extra money
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Peter C, Owner at Ostello Brikette, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your stay at the hostel, and exploring Positano. Look forward to seeing you again soon. All the best for your future travels in the meantime.
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

i advise anyone considering staying in this hostel to change thier minds. It is ridden with bed begs. The day I arrived I felt something was not right when they insisted on searching all bags of newcomers for bed bugs, then on checking in, all beds in all rooms were covered with plastic taped to them. The first night a girl in my room was bitten, the second night again even though we were both moved to another room and on ther third night, (moved again to another room) I woke with them in my own bed, when I turned on the light we found the whole room crawling in them, and there was a group of American travellers that were all slepping outside on the terrace as they had also found them in thier room downstairs. We insisted on speaking to the managers as it was out of control. The manager was rude and arrogant. He refused to take any responsibility. He finally agreed to refund me for the night the bugs were in my bed and for the next night as obviously could not stay there, but he refused to help me find somewhere else to go, or to assist cleaning my belongings. He told me it was my own problem. Positano is not very big and there is not many options for travellers for accomodation except expensive hotels, as well as the fact that you have to walk up 7 down very steep winding hills to get anywhere so moving to another place is not so easy. I was distraught, and was left to take all my belongings to a launderer to have throughrougly washed to remove traces of any bugs, as I did not want to take these with me and they often live in luggage. The hostel did nothing to assist me and the managers did not seem to care. It was evident that the bugs had been a problem for quite some time, yet the manager would not close down and fumigate and replace mattresses etc, he kept booking more people in, knowing they would get bitten and also take the bugs to other hostels, making him responisble for spreading them. He did not seem to understand that simply ordering his staff to clean the hostel and disinfect would not remove the bugs. I was given the impression the hostel would finally close and be properly cleaned, but I noticed it still open when I went past the next day. I do not think the managers realise the seriousness of this problem, but I advise all people, DO NOT GO THERE and you WILL get bed bugs. They are in every room. And not everyone gets the bite marks, so you may get bitten and have them in luggage and not even know.

Room Tip: they are all infested
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
17 Thank Cressida M
Peter C, Owner at Ostello Brikette, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
We maintain links to other hostels, in other parts of Italy. When we hear that bed bugs have been a problem at those hostels, we do begin to work through bags - with guests - on their arrival. One way to prevent bed bugs is to notice that they have been picked up elsewhere (often as eggs).
We do wrap our mattresses in a protector, and do this throughout the period we are open. A wrapped mattress is the recommended way of preventing bed bugs getting into them.
Despite these measures, we did end up getting bed bugs. When the problem surfaced, we firstly tried to contain it, but did not seek to hide the fact that there was a problem. We offered guests two options: move to another room, or receive a full refund. Most guests left, but some chose the former.
We then followed a bed bug disinfection policy - apply anti-bed bug spray to the floor, wall, and bed frame. However, this did not work, and so we decided to close the hostel - a fact that can be confirmed by any of the booking engines we use. At this point, we offered refunds in full.
The reviewer asked that we have her clothes cleaned. We agreed to do so, using the hostel's washing machines, but this offer was declined by the guest. The reviewer also asked that we pay for alternate accommodation, of her choice, and pay for a taxi to that accommodation. We declined this request, because we felt it was excessive.
We take the problem of bed bugs seriously, and have previously avoided any such problems. As stated at the time, we are sorry for the problems that were caused to the reviewer, and we do understand the distress that such a problem creates.

Travelers are raving about these Positano hotels

Vienna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very nice place for backpackers travelling on the Amalfi coast. Clean, decent and a nice terasse. Helpful, young team but matresses are covered with plastic coating, so sleeping is very noisy and not very comfortable (at least in the 8-bed-rooms). But it is ok for one or two nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marion R
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had read up on this Hostel before hand since I had had some bad experiences at others. From what I read, there were no lockers available and the doors didn't lock. That was completely accurate.
I stayed in a 12 person dorm, which gave way on the terrace (very loud at night) and it was a door with shutters so light still passed through. There were no lockers available (I left my big backpack in Naples and just brought a small bag since I was staying for two days). You can rent tiny ones, but you can't really fit much in them.
The beds are comfy though and there are services available. You can buy drinks and food there. But as a budget conscious traveler (even though it wasn't expensive), it was unfortunate that you couldn't really bring your own stuff since they wanted you to buy theirs. Aka, could not bring your own alcohol and only a microwave was available for cooking. The bathroom has about 4 showers and 4 toilets. It was very tight, but at least the water was warm!
We went to the pizzeria (4 euros) in front, and the owner was absolutely delightful. He was a local and pointed us towards a beach (that only locals went to) and we had two amazing days there as it was not crowded at all!
It wasn't amazing as a hostel, but for the amount of time I spent there it was perfect. Only 2 nights, where I would go to the beach everyday. I would suggest to take the BUS up. Best 2 euros you will ever spend! The 733 stairs (yes we counted) are IMPOSSIBLE to climb, especially after a day in the sun!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends