“Paradise built into a cliff”

Il San Pietro di Positano
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Positano
maryland
“Paradise built into a cliff”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This family run hotel is our favorite place to stay in Positano. All the rooms have ocean views, are pristine in decor and cleanliness, and comfortable. We love the food at both Carlino by the beach and the restaurant. Favorite dish this past summer was at Carlino's Pacherri with eggplant. I think that this is the only hotel my husband will ever stay at in Positano since anymore.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have wrap around balconies.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Hebrew first
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2013

San Pietro is by far one of the most beautiful places in the world and like many others I can't wait to go back again, hopefully next year. The service, staff and place are first class. When you tour the hotel from the parking lot, with no sight of the hotel, to the lobby, to the verandas and then to the rooms it just takes your breath away. The hotel was built into the side of the mountain and encompasses the mountain face from the parking lot elevation down to the beach. The main restaurant is tremendous, the food selections out of this world and the staff some of the nicest people I've ever met. Take care of them and they they take care of your every whim tenfold!
Definitely a hotel and part of the world that should be on everyne's bucket list.
I can't wait to return!!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the Meditteranean. Simply gorgeous views. You must navigate staircases to get to most...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Incredible design, carved out of a cliff. Elevator opens into cave. Kayaks sit ready for exploration. Yacht provided for afternoon excursions down the most beautiful coast of Italy. We loved being there before tourist season arrived, had San Pietro and the property almost to ourselves. The pool, the views, the lemon trees, this place is in my top 10 most cherished in the world. A bit too cold to swim and jellyfish in the water, but for once I didn't care that I could not swim all day, it was too lovely to feel any concerns at all about anything. We left here to attend the Formula 1 race in Monte Carlo...and I really didn't want to leave, cannot wait to come back.

Don't miss Positano and the Amalfi coast, and especially don't miss this property and it's unique history and influence all around the world.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We just spent 5 nights at ISP and we are very happy with it. The service, from the guys at the beach to the guys at the parking upstairs, was perfect and spotless. A bit too serious at the start but once they know you they become friendly. The reception staff and the concierge were helpful and quick in responding to any question we had. We liked the fact that Vito was always around and checking that the whole ISP operation was running smoothly.
They upgraded us the first day to a special room (for some reason) and then back to our original choice. The whole thing was smooth with no problems. All the rooms has sea view but with different angles.
The guests we met were all interesting to chat with and we felt very relaxed since the beginning as everybody was very friendly to each other.
The aperitivo on the beautiful terrace overlooking positano and praiano was perfect.
The hotel is just outside the town (with a free shuttle service) so away from the noise and daily tourists which is what we wanted.
Only recommendation is they should improve the breakfast in the morning: I don't think the coffee was fantastic, the cornetti should be filled a bit more and so on...
Anyway we had a great stay and we will be back.

Greenwich, CT
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Can't believe we waited 16 years to return to Il San Pietro. It is our favorite hotel in the whole world.
The rooms are all so unique and beautifully appointed. The service is superb and tastefully delivered without being obsequious. The food divine, the amenities terrific and the view to die for. We will return much sooner next time and look forward to it with great pleasure.

Paris, France
Reviewed August 21, 2013

we enjoyed our stay in San Pietro, amazing view on Positano, good restaurant with staff paying attention to details and making guests feet at home
very nice property part of Relais et Chateaux network
a gem on Bella Costiera

1 Thank skurf
dallas
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We had a leisurely morning in Naples and arranged for a private boat transfer to Il San Pietro di Positano……….we wanted to both enjoy the ride on the sea and avoid the crazy mountain drive into Positano from Naples.

As was the mantra throughout our stay at this wonderful resort we were greeted with smiling faces at the dock and the guys quickly removed all our huge pieces of luggage from the boat…………we were warmly greeted and whisked through the beach and up the cool elevator to the lobby – a fantastic arrival!

I would like to preface this entire review with the fact that I am a senior hospitality executive who has been in the business since I was a busboy at 15 years old 35 years ago……………..seven years in operations with Fairmont Hotels and then varying positions on the real estate side of the business………I am now a partner in a firm that both invests in and manages hotels. We are lucky enough to have stayed in luxury resorts throughout North and South America as well as Europe.

And I have to say Il San Pietro di Positano was the nicest resort we have ever stayed at – the best lodging experience my family has ever had. I arrived pretty jetlagged and sick with what appeared to be a stomach virus……………..I left rejuvenated and healthy after a wonderful four night stay.

The first thing that strikes you at ISP is just how beautiful it is – the ambience of this place is amazing – the resort built into the huge cliffs…………..the private beach is one the best attributes/amenities of the resort. Then the exquisite details of the lobby and the beautiful, famous terrace over-looking Positano. The landscaping / flowers / huge herb garden built into the cliffs, the very tranquil pool also of course with beautiful views all adding to the overall feel of the property. Zass the main restaurant with a beautiful recently renovated design and exceptional cuisine. Due to my illness unfortunately we never experienced the guest only Carlino on the beach for lunch – next time!

Our Superior Suite was fantastic!!! First and foremost our huge terrace over-looking all of Positano was AMAZING – to fall asleep and wake up to that view was simply a godsend! The suite itself was perfect for the three of us as our son had a small little alcove area near the huge walk-in closet with a real bed and not a rollaway – I gladly paid the additional charge for that comfort for our son. Our bedroom very ample size large king bed and then the bathroom – wow! It was gorgeous with white tile two vanities but the best was the huge tub with more direct views of Positano – just amazing! Let’s just say there were a few baths taken during our stay! Suite #14 – highly highly highly recommend!!!

After you get blown away by all the physical attributes you are also immediately struck by how nice everyone is – we only experienced smiles throughout our stay – it was not only the warmth but also the professionalism – there was always someone there to attend to your needs – with graciousness and always incredibly expeditious.

At this point I think I should point out the incredible hospitality of Andrea the reservations manager – he is one of the finest hotel executives I have ever run across and I think he broke the top five of the most esteemed hoteliers I have had the pleasure to work with. So thanks again for all of your help Andrea! I would also like to point out Giuseppe the Concierge – a consummate professional and incredibly helpful in assisting in coordinating all the little details of our trip. Even as far as sending some pants to town to get altered during our stay. And he sent ME a thank you note at the end of our trip – I found that truly amazing. All the remaining associates at reception were also incredibly friendly and helpful.

I don’t recall all the names but Sabatini runs a heck of an operation at the beach – all of guys incredibly fun to be around and again – quick and efficient service. Pasqual (I think) a real personality of the resort and the one who runs the pool was hilarious.

Housekeeping - second to none – incredibly efficient and thorough………always in and out at the appropriate time and attending to all our needs. The department deserves a lot of kudos!

Room service was effectively the same – although I must say I have never received such immediate responsiveness in all my years! We had breakfast on our Terrace every morning – pure bliss! And while they do charge for some extras anyone who is complaining about costs at this resort simply doesn't get it! In fact I found most prices at the resort quite reasonable……….well save dinner but that is one Michelin star!

Room service also was great in attending to my personal health needs………the first day a clear consommé, the next consommé with veggies and the third day consommé with veggies and chicken…..and so went my slow recovery. It was unfortunate timing but c’est la vie…………and the food I did eat was amazing – I don’t think I have ever tasted a sweeter more awesome melon than I did at ISP!!

We ate one night at Zass which was service blown away and very good food but my stomach afforded only one meal here – we will certainly fit in more meals here the next time!!!

I do think the fact that this is a family resort passing through generations also makes it special. There is definitely a sense of pride exhibited throughout the hotel with Vito Cinque clearly establishing a strong presence out front and that pride spilling over to the employees. In fact many have grown up there – starting at entry level jobs and now taking on greater responsibilities!!

The genuine love of the resort is very evident in all of the employees. And then Virginia – a very special woman and proprietor of the Resort – and how nice to invite us and two other couples for aperitivos the evening before our departure! Another exceptional gesture of the type of service you receive at this resort!!

We spent two of our full three days just hanging out – the beach couldn't be more awesome.

While all the other guests at the varying Positano resorts – including guests of the ISP’s main competitor Le Sirenuse – are packed into the beaches of Positano – and they looked every bit the nightmare I imagined them to be – we spent two glorious days of relaxing by the sea and swimming in some of the most crystal clear blue waters I have ever seen in peaceful solitude with just the handful of guests from the resort enjoying the privacy with us. Great service of drinks through the day we just relaxed and I felt myself slowly disengaging from work and the ho-hum of the day to day. The private elevator was a lifesaver for me with my bad hip.

Our third full day we chartered a yacht to cruise Capri and the Amalfi coast for the day – highly recommend and will discuss more in my Positano/Pompei post.

For me the private beach is a HUGE competitive advantage over any of the high end resorts in town.

I also find any criticism of this resort’s location not being in town absolutely ridiculous. Again for me the quiet solitude and peacefulness of the resort are huge attributes. But for those wanting to experience Positano it is a very quick cab ride and / or you take the hotel shuttle. I suppose the only disadvantage is you cannot stroll the town say after dinner……but you certainly can find a way!!!

The only misgiving I have about our stay was it was too short! At least I did extend our stay a by a day from three to four nights…………………but after the fourth night I was just getting relaxed and feeling better and we were off to Pompei on a wonderful tour the hotel arranged for us (more in the general thread)…………………..so we decided to solve that problem for the next time and have just booked ten nights at ISP for next summer!!!!

So in summary – thanks ISP for one of the greatest stays our family has ever experienced!!

David Coty and Alex

Room Tip: again suite #14 amazing!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank davidcotyalex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Positano
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#1 of 5 in Conca dei Marini
Santa Caterina Hotel
Santa Caterina Hotel
#1 of 29 in Amalfi

Been to Il San Pietro di Positano? Share your experiences!