Hotel Villa Franca
Hotel Eden Roc(Positano)(Great Value!)
$555
Hotel Pupetto(Positano)(Great Value!)
$268
$156
  • Breakfast included
Royal Prisco Hotel(Positano)(Great Value!)
$275
  • Breakfast included
Positano Art Hotel Pasitea(Positano)(Great Value!)
$584
$303
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
  • Room Service
Hotel Conca d'Oro Positano(Positano)(Great Value!)
$411
$240
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop poolshuttle servicethe main hotelshuttle busli galliour honeymoonamalfi coastamazing viewsrooms are smalldeluxe roomperched highbreakfast roomsea viewwalk upthe hotel offerscommon areasrooms are beautiful
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 17, 2009

my husband * I spent a week at Hotel Villa Franca In Positano celebrating our 50th anniversary. The views of the Mediteranian from our room on top of the mountain were unforgetable. Hotel staff, very accomodating and meals excellent. Roof top pool, one of the few in the area, gave you a paoramic view of the entire Positano coast & surrounding areas. The only downfall is the very long and steep way down to the beach. Hotel provides afree bus to the center but then its very steep and many steps to the beach below, where there are many restaurants & shops and tour boats to Capri.If you have time taking a bus along the Amalfi coast & returning by boat. is breathtaking.
There are numerous hotels in Positano, and even though this one was expensive, we were very happy we chose Hotel Villa Franca

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2009

My best friends and I had a great experience with Hotel villa franca. The staff was a huge help, the view was spectacular, and the complimentary shuttle to town was a pleasant bonus. The pool was very refreshing, especially for the hot weather we had in June. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Villa Franca for three nights and were very, very happy with the location. Yes, it's a hike up the stairs from town, but the views from the walk up/down are breathtaking. The hotel is also right in the neighborhood of some of Positano's best restaurants. The shuttle from the hotel to town is convenient, but it only runs in the mornings till noon, then picks-up again for dinner and then late night after 10. A few times we headed out for a late dinner at 8/9 and missed the shuttle- but luckily the restaurants nearby were all the top rated on TA!

The pool is unbelievable- breathtaking views, just a nice set-up (and a blessing considering there was a jellyfish outbreak on the beach the whole time we were there). At night, it's spectacular. The rooms were OK, a little small and could use a deep clean (as could the rest of the hotel). The common areas had nice views, but something just felt odd about the hotel to us. We didn't spend much time hanging out at the bar or lobby. Breakfast set-up was fantastic, anything and everything you could want. Coming from a hotel in Capri that just served rolls, this was quite the spread. Plus, it goes till 11, so we doubled up some days for a snack before lunch=) I did also here rants and raves about dinner at the hotel restaurant, but we did not diner their ourselves.

Our biggest complaint about the hotel was the staff. Half of the staff was very welcoming, the other half very cold and seemed almost irritated we were there. A bit disappointing considering this was not a cheap place to stay. However, we felt that Positano was not the most hospitable stop in our trip to Italy, so that might just be how it rolls here!

Despite that, overall- I would day the positives outweighed the negatives. If we returned to Positano we would likely stay here for the pool and location alone, but would consider some of the other options in the area....

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank UofATess
Reviewed June 9, 2009

We loved our stay here. When we arrived we were not satisfied with our view so we were upgraded to a gorgeous room. We met a lot of couples on the roof top which was magnificent. Thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts and the friendly service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2009

In a nutshell, this hotel provided a balcony for one of the most spectacular views I have ever witnessed; however, Villa Franca was like a high-priced restaurant where I left hungry after paying the bill.

To elaborate, we stayed in #34 which has the large terrace/balcony with a full sea view. The cost per night was 390 Euros. This provided the ultimate front row seat for the magnificent views. The room itself was clean, bright, and maybe slightly larger than usual by European standards. Two large pieces of luggage and two carry on bags created a bit of clutter. Shower water pulsated between hot and cold. I'm not sold on the fact that 390 Euros per night was providing full value. The declining dollar did not help.

The hotel public areas were very spacious, clean and bright, which continued up to the rooms. The menu looked perfectly fine if you were in the mood for that particular fare.

Let me qualify regarding the atmosphere. I travel extensively in the US and occassionaly abroad. I am in sales and my wife is a hospice nurse. You will not find two people who can intuitively catch on to who wants privacy or interaction. With that said I found about half the staff a bit standoffish- by the way we do speak some Italian. Some of the guests were absolutely snobby even with a simple good morning. I found nothing friendly about the proprietor who never bothered to introduce himself. I had formulated this opinion even before he argued with my wife who asked directions to a small store simply because the lunch menu had no appeal to us. He wanted us to eat there. I'm the guest, I'm sure I know what I want and it was none of his concern as to why we wanted directions to a store.

Believe me, I set the bar very low for European hotels. The bells and whistles of a fine hotel are, and should be, reflected in the price. But that only provides an empty shell. My expectation is intangible. I want to experience a certain mood/feeling/atmosphere in the hotel that fits the area I'm visiting. I wanted to feel the electric in the air that matched the unique setting outside our hotel. I wasn't feeling it. I did get attitude. I'm not impressed with snob-wannabees or real ones at that. In Sorrento and Tuscany, I got everything from those places that I missed in Positano (for a fraction of the price). Why? Because people make the difference.

In summary, this hotel is probably exactly what most people are seeking. Especially if your looking to inject a bit of class into your trip. Everything tangible related to the hotel has a price tag. It lives up to that end of the equation, but is it not supposed to? For us, what separates adequate from great is the sense of place that stays with you upon departure. I still am not feeling it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple