“Wonderful hotel at the top of Positano”
Review of Hotel Villa Franca

Hotel Villa Franca
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Pacific Palisades, CA
“Wonderful hotel at the top of Positano”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on the first stop of our honeymoon for four nights. We stayed in the a deluxe sea view room and it was such a nice room with a great view. The room was spacious and clean with a nice strong air conditioner that beat the heat and humidity of Positano in July. The buffet breakfast is also amazing and they have best croissants we have ever had!

The hotel's location is great at the top of the hill, but it is somewhat of a climb starting from the beach. The hotel provides a shuttle to get back from the beach and with the abundance of stairs in Positano, it's actually a nice to walk up in small segments and take in the sights.

Room Tip: If you can swing for a sea view room, go for it
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
california
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Loved our 4 days at this fabulous hotel.From the moment we entered the hotel, we were treated royally. Our room with large balcony was magnificent,larger than expected and beautifully decorated. Morning breakfast was not a small affair,the service by Angela and Franco was wonderful. They also served our special last dinner in the elegant though casual view restaurant.A special thanks to our great bartender,Matteo,who kept a lively bar and engaged people in getting to know one another.Our whole experience was memorable and we plan to return as soon as possible!

Room Tip: First floor with large balcony.
Mosow, Russia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Dear travellers,
pay attention to the negative reviews you can read here! only now, after the trip I see that they have one thing in common - an it's totally true: The reception staff and owners just don't care about their guests.
- First, to be unbiassed, some things I liked: Nicely designed room, beautiful views from the restaurant and the rooftop pool, very positive and professional barmen and dinner staff, shuttle-service to the downtown. Wonderful pastries for the breakfast (but overall the choice is very limited).
- But the negative sides are much heavier..
-In the corridor near the room there was always a "toilet" smell.
-Impossible to catch wi-fi in the room (we stayed at the residence). When we told reception about that they just shruged their shoulders and told us we can try to connect from the lobby.
- Owners never greet their guest. I travelled to different parts of Italy for many years and I've never seen so UNwelcoming owners with stone faces...
- Awfull laundry and reception (especially Claudia - totally unprofessional). Here's my story that really shocked me:
First they returned me my tank top from the laundry with some new(!) stains! I brought it back to reception asking to remove them.
After 3 days - no news about my tank top. When I started asking the reception they started looking for it. On the day of my departure the told me that my tank top appeared somehow (how??) in the bag with dirty towels and the just throw it away!!
I was outraged but they kept telling me I'm overreacting- "it's just a tank-top". Excuse me, you throwed away my personal beloning and not even proposing me a discount or other way to settle the problem! (ok, they proposed me to eliminate the cost of laundry of the tank-top!! sonds like a bad joke)
The worst thing - that during this conversation there's was an old gentlemen that is the owner of the hotel- and he was silent all the way! not even an excuse. What kind of attitude is that? In the end it's the client service that makes a good reputation, it's seems like Villa Franca doesn't care of it at all.

Chicago area
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were fortunate to spend four nights at the Villa Franca in June. We booked two rooms, one with the deluxe sea view for my husband and I and one with a standard partial sea view for our two adult children. Our room had a wonderful balcony with lounge chairs and a table and chairs with the most spectacular view of the sea and the town and the hills all around us. It was breathtaking. The staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and very pretty. The wifi was spotty but it did work. The breakfasts were very nice, a great way to start the day. The trip down to the town center and the beach was easy, up, not so much. We took the shuttle back up, a very nice service at the end of the day or after a nice meal. We also took the ferry to Capri for a day trip and enjoyed that a lot, but really loved Positano and the Villa Franca the most. I would come back in an instant and stay again at the Villa Franca.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ErinandChris
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We booked a SEA VIEW room over a year go for two nights; one of which was our wedding night, which I am sure Villa Franca would have known about as it was booked through the wedding planners. Not that we expected extra special treatment but at least the same service as the other guests and the correct room that we booked and paid for. When we were shown the room, which yes was a facing the sea but there were that many bushes in the garden bed blocking the views you could not see the ocean - not what I booked. The safe did not work and nor did we have access to the Wi-Fi. When we asked nicely if it was possible to move rooms, we were shrugged off with "we will see what we can do". After a couple of hours around the pool which had the owners screaming children there, which I found to be appalling when on one hand we were being treated like we weren’t rich enough to be there and on the other they allow the serenity of the pool area to be destroyed with screaming children. Decide whether you want to be family friendly or for the rich and famous. Anyway after asking a second time if there was anything they could do to change our room they still gave us nothing - I am sure if I waved a few notes in their faces they would have soon done something –
I then checked their website to see what other room rates they had to see if they had put us in a lower rate room; once I found out that there were two lower room rates than what we paid I was furious - how dare they put us in the dungeon room with no view, no internet and no working safe and charge us the rate of a sea view room. After approaching the desk in tears as every bride to be wants their wedding night to be special, I asked them to either move us to the room that we originally paid for and booked over a year ago or charge us the correct rate for the room they put us in and no I wasn’t being a bridezilla but yes I was extremely upset that we were being treated like we were not good enough to stay there. They quickly moved us to a beautiful room with amazing sea views and so they should. An amazing hotel that is clean and in a great location but the service and the treatment we received was appalling - never again will I stay there and never will I recommend anyone else to stay there. To be honest we had stayed in rooms that were 80-100 euros a night, the hospitality above and beyond and views that Villa Franca would dream of. And again not that we expected it but not one staff member congratulated us on our wedding - we are human too you know even if we don’t have all the money in the world.... Horrible horrible horrible place never in my life have I been made to feel so worthless.

3 Thank Melanie L
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 days at the end of August. It was wonderful. The staff were very warm and welcoming, the food in the restaurant fantastic and the rooms and public areas were great. I would definitely stay here again or recommend it to anyone visiting Positano.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed September 19, 2012

we stayed here (girls holiday) in April 2011 and had a lovely holiday. the service was excellent, the rooms were clean and we had an amazing view straight over the bay from our own private (small!) balcony. We didnt eat here as we found it to be expensive but the breakfast was good and we had plenty of drinks in the lobby area. we also bought our own drinks and snacks to have in our room and the hotel were happy to provide us with a bottle opener, glasses and ice. the hotel is in a perfect location - it is a bit of a walk to the beach (maybe 10 minutes from what I can remember) but you have the option of stairs or steep slopes! We managed this fine. As we booked the hotel off season some of the facilities were closed which we were dissapointed about as we didnt know this as the time of booking (the indoor spa/the terrace and outdoor pool) and we weren't lucky with the weather (it was freezing!) but Positano is beautiful - if I was to come again I would probably tour the Almalfi coast and stay a couple of nights in each place. It's in a good location for exploring. Overall, lovely hotel and most of all exceptional service which really made it special.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends