“Exceptional Hotel”

Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Positano
Clifton, NJ
“Exceptional Hotel”
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Our stay at the Hotel Poseidon was the highlight of our trip through Italy. Not only were the accommodations perfect, but the hotel staff provided us with the best service. Everyone was friendly and went out their way to make you happy and comfortable. The minute we arrived in our room, we were sent fresh flowers and champagne. The front desk happily spent an hour with us trying to help us to plan some side trips. Even the restaurant staff was exceptional. The night before we left, the maitre'd sent breakfast (a thermos of coffee and a some danish )to our room when he learned we had to leave at 3:00 am to catch our flight back home.
I'd love to go back again and would recommend this hotel to everyone

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — ?
2 Thank GJPClifton_NJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Dallas
Reviewed July 31, 2007

My husband, two sons and I stayed here in late June '07, as part of a two week trip around Europe. This was our favorite hotel of the trip, for many reasons. First, each member of the staff goes out of their way to make guests comfortable. This includes bringing little blankets to guests sitting out on the terrace bar at night when it gets chilly, etc. I have not encountered a friendlier staff anywhere. Service was always very prompt. Our junior suite, #16 was very nice with a very large tiled bathroom, separate sitting room and lovely terrace. Our boys were in a standard room which also had a nice terrace, not as good a view and the room and bathroom were much smaller. The front desk was extremely helpful. The breakfast buffet was the best of our trip. We could have lingered on that terrace all day.

Dinner in the restaurant was extremely good with wonderful food and service. One of our kids didn't touch his fish and retired to the room early, so the waiter came over and suggested that we might want to cancel the entree fish that my husband had ordered and enjoy our son's instead. He kept it warm until we were ready for it. The restaurant is lovely and candlelit with a beautiful view- -not a place I would have taken my children if they were any younger (they're 14 and 11). However, I'm sure that the staff would have made us welcome, even with small children. This was a very special meal.

There are 330 steps down to the beach or you can get a taxi most of the way.

I'm sure Le Sirenuse and Il San Pietro are amazing, but for me, I'll stay at the Poseidon when I return.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Size of bathroom in standard room
1 Thank Rileypenny
Danbury, CT
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Wow...what an introduction to the Amalfi Coast! This hotel is in the perfect location in Positano. It is high enough to be away from the tourist crowds but not high enough to be a long walk from all the things you have to do while in Positano. The gym in the hotel is great, no one was ever in there when we were. The pool is a great option if you don't want to deal with the crowds and the expenses on the beach below. The room had an unbelievable view...one I will not soon forget. Breakfast was amazing as we ate way to much but got to overlook the town and the the coastline. Angelo is the only person whose name I remember because he checked us in and was
so helpful....I must say everyone there is helpful. Not the cheapest place to stay but worth the money.

Missouri
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Another 5 star review for the Hotel Poseidon. We stayed for 3 nights in Room 48 with a ocean view and absolutely loved it. The room was spacious, the bathroom clean, and the service exceptional. The view is just as it is advertised -- spectacular.

We had dinner at the hotel one evening, and it was top notch. Breakfast (included with the room) had a little something for everyone.

We spent a lot of time researching hotels in Positano and the surrounding areas, and am so happy that we chose well.

We would love to return to beautiful Positano, and will stay again at the Poseidon.

• Liked — The service and the view.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
1 Thank Treslabs
London
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Just spent another wonderful 8 nights at the Hotel Poseidon (this was our 5 year of staying there). The setting is fantastic with wonderful views over the town and the beach. The food is excellent - some of the best to be had in Positano. However it is the staff that make this place great. Nothing is too difficult and Gianni (pool side ) is a gem.

Would only have one issue - the gym only opens at 9.00am which is too late for a morning workout before breakfast.

• Liked — The staff
Westport, CT
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Poseidon for 5 nights. Our travel agent was a bit tentative because he didn't know anything about it but the "hot" hotel, Le Sirenuse was completely booked. We booked what seemed to be
the only room left anywhere, a suite at the Poseidon. What a wonderful surprise! We had a magnificent view, a lovely spacious room, great breakfasts, and best of all a friendly and welcoming staff. It is a family owned hotel and you can feel it. The hotel even
comes with some mascots: 3 adorable dogs who love to hang out with guests at the bar (looking for food or limoncello, I presume). We couldn't have been more surprised by the relaxed and familial atmosphere.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 24, 2007

We had a chance to stay at the Hotel Poseidon on June 10, due to the fact that our previous hotel, the Albergo Miramare, had no room for us on the last night of our stay in Positano. I think I would have been more impressed with the Poseidon had it not been for the exquisite experience I had just had at the Albergo Miramare. Not only was the Miramare less expensive (210 Euros/night to Poseidon's 273 Euros/night), the terrace we had at Albergo Miramare had a MUCH better view. If you doubt my claim, you should visit the Trip Advisor page for Albergo Miramare and check out the candid traveler photos. You'll see what I mean. I suspect you could get those views at the Poseidon, but it would no doubt cost you an arm and a leg. My 273 Euros/night didn't qualify me for a sea view at the Poseidon.

The Poseidon does have lots of nice amenities (gym, spa, pool, etc.), so if you're into that, then the Poseidon is probably the better choice for you.

There is one other thing that I believe is worth mentioning -- the hotel is apparantly dog-friendly, as there were a number of large dogs roaming around during my stay. I don't have a problem with dogs, and usually I think it's cute when a hotel has a mascot. However, on my way up to my room after check-in, I noticed a puddle of dog urine on the marble floor of the staircase. Yuck! Fortunately, it was gone when I came back down the stairs a couple of hours later, but still... doggie piddle doesn't exactly scream "upscale hotel" to me.

Overall, I do consider this to be a lovely hotel, but I know for a fact that a better experience can be had elsewhere for less money.

• Liked — The amenities (gym, pool, spa, etc.)
  • Disliked — Expensive, no sea view, dog urine on the stairs